Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM

321 posts, read 860,886 times

Advertisements

As Golfgal describes, the TC is very clean and organized compared to most metro areas. I use the word "polished" to describe MN n general compared to most states. It's not my personal preference. I like some grit and run-down buildings. But it suits most people quite well. I've driven around most American cities, and the TC collectively is far cleaner than almost any other major city in the Midwest or the East, and perhaps on par with most Western cities, which are much cleaner. Even the worst neighborhood in Mpls is generally clean, which is a rarity in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not sure about actual air or water pollution levels, but on the surface, anyway, Minneapolis is VERY clean. It's one of the first things I notice after returning to the city after living/visiting other cities of its size.

It's also very flat, so you don't get visible smog getting trapped and hovering over the city like you do in some cities. And the plentiful trees and parks really do make it feel more green, even if it isn't necessarily "green" in the ultra-environmentally friendly sense. (as far as I know the city isn't cutting-edge on that front, although it does have some real strengths, like its bike infrastructure)
That's ALSO caused by the intensity of the sunlight which, even if it's hot outside (and it CAN get HOT in MN), the angle of the sun isn't high enough much of the year to create substantial smog problems you find in the Southern part of the U.S.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMane View Post
' It has to be because for so many months it is covered in snow and ice."

even 'now"?? how many months a year is it freezing cold?
It's supposed to be in the low 80's today. "Many" months is about mid-Nov to Mid-March on average. Last year, 2011, we had about 84" of snow at our place, this past winter we had 12" and it was in the 70's and 80's for most of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That's ALSO caused by the intensity of the sunlight which, even if it's hot outside (and it CAN get HOT in MN), the angle of the sun isn't high enough much of the year to create substantial smog problems you find in the Southern part of the U.S.
There is a definite ring of smudge around Minneapolis on many days, summer, fall, winter, spring. You can see it very well driving up various freeways.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Those DID (Downtown Improvement District, I think?) workers who are always out cleaning up sidewalks and such downtown do a nice job. And, to top it off, they are incredibly friendly. It looks like a pretty thankless job, but every time I walk past them, they smile and say good morning, or hello, or something.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
I've driven around most American cities, and the TC collectively is far cleaner than almost any other major city in the Midwest or the East, and perhaps on par with most Western cities, which are much cleaner. Even the worst neighborhood in Mpls is generally clean, which is a rarity in the Midwest.
Chicago is actually very clean. Probably the cleanest out of all the big cities in the USA. Western cities aren't clean by default. San Francisco has a number of extremely dirty areas, as do LA and Phoenix. On the east, NYC in particular is very dirty. Boston's not too bad, though.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's supposed to be in the low 80's today. "Many" months is about mid-Nov to Mid-March on average. Last year, 2011, we had about 84" of snow at our place, this past winter we had 12" and it was in the 70's and 80's for most of March.

There is a definite ring of smudge around Minneapolis on many days, summer, fall, winter, spring. You can see it very well driving up various freeways.
The key word was "substantial".

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Chicago is actually very clean. Probably the cleanest out of all the big cities in the USA. Western cities aren't clean by default. San Francisco has a number of extremely dirty areas, as do LA and Phoenix. On the east, NYC in particular is very dirty. Boston's not too bad, though.
I believe Chicago is often rated one of the most polluted cities in the country...where do you get this info? Or do you just mean trashiness in places like downtown or other tourist areas?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
I was talking about the areas of Chicago I usually go to, which are very clean. Especially when compared to New York. But you are right, it is very dirty in other areas, and ranks poorly when it comes to pollution. I guess the west also includes places like Seattle and Portland, which are also very clean.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMane View Post
' It has to be because for so many months it is covered in snow and ice."

even 'now"?? how many months a year is it freezing cold?
Seriously?
Who said anything about now?
Weather.com

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
IT'S THE SWEDES!!!! Seriously, it likely comes from the Scandinavian influence, where people are generally clean, friendly and well-organized. If you have a biblical turn of mind: Where 2 or 3 Lutherans are gathered in My name, they form a financial cooperative and organize a clean-up day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul