Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
The MSP area already is the second city in the Midwest in some ways. For instance, it surpassed the Detroit area a while ago for size of the metro economy.
That's true.

I'm referring to all measures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
You talking about the architecture? There was a rock star that came through here some time back who had majored in architecture and he said in the interview that Minneapolis Downtown has some of the most beautiful architecture he had ever seen.
Yes, I do love the Minneapolis skyline! It is one of my favorites in the USA. I love the colors & tones of it, the shapes, ect. My only complaint about it is the fact that most of it that is visible (besides the Foshay Tower) has been built since the early 70's -- much like Denver, CO. The two other major historic art deco buildings downtown (the phone building, and Rand Tower) are mostly hidden between the new buildings, when you are looking at the entire skyline. And, there's hardly a "60's shoebox" present (like you see in a lot of cities). So, as far as a mirrored, striking modern skyline, I love it. As far as having textures that older buildings "bring to the mix", it lacks that, I feel. (Whereas, cities like KC have a great set of textures, and ecclectic mix of architecture from many decades, I think.) In fact, I wonder if Pelli designed the Wells Fargo Center with the idea that Minneapolis needed more historic-looking textures (as that new skyscraper takes design cues from historic art deco buildings). Nonetheless, it really has it goin' on, and I love it.

Love this pic on Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e-20070805.jpg

(Another thing about modern skylines is that they don't look "romantic" in paintings, like an old painting of NYC or Chicago would look, imo. I hardly ever see any artwork done of Minneapolis and like it for that reason. For example, it is hard to picture an oil painting of modern Minneapolis or modern Denver that would be likeable to me. I think it is challenging for artists to paint modern/ist-looking skylines in a way to make the painting look good, imo -- unless they are doing some sort of abstract-type painting with acrylics, I think.)

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 05-22-2012 at 11:43 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
Yes, I do love the Minneapolis skyline! It is one of my favorites in the USA. I love the colors & tones of it, the shapes, ect. My only complaint about it is the fact that most of it that is visible (besides the Foshay Tower) has been built since the early 70's -- much like Denver, CO. The two other major historic art deco buildings downtown (the phone building, and Rand Tower) are mostly hidden between the new buildings, when you are looking at the entire skyline. And, there's hardly a "60's shoebox" present (like you see in a lot of cities). So, as far as a mirrored, striking modern skyline, I love it. As far as having textures that older buildings "bring to the mix", it lacks that, I feel. (Whereas, cities like KC have a great set of textures, and ecclectic mix of architecture from many decades, I think.) In fact, I wonder if Pelli designed the Wells Fargo Center with the idea that Minneapolis needed more historic-looking textures (as that new skyscraper takes design cues from historic art deco buildings). Nonetheless, it really has it goin' on, and I love it.

Love this pic on Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e-20070805.jpg

(Another thing about modern skylines is that they don't look "romantic" in paintings, like an old painting of NYC or Chicago would look, imo. I hardly ever see any artwork done of Minneapolis and like it for that reason. For example, it is hard to picture an oil painting of modern Minneapolis or modern Denver that would be likeable to me. I think it is challenging for artists to paint modern/ist-looking skylines in a way to make the painting look good, imo -- unless they are doing some sort of abstract-type painting with acrylics, I think.)
Well-written post. Good point about the old pictures you see of DT NYC and Chicago. And nice pic of DT Minny.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM

37 posts, read 90,399 times
Well, what I really don't understand is why Minneapolis is compared to Chicago, DT, and NYC? Those major cities have districts, which captures Minneapolis in smaller inaccessible scales. What you find about Minneapolis / St. Paul is that it's accessible. It only takes a 5-10 min drive from coffee shops with great coffee to a live affordable music show. It's "poor man's rich living" in a classy sense, separated into so many different ways. Major cities can't be really comparable to Minneapolis. It's not big enough to have everything, but it does have everything it needs in such a short amount of distance.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Well, what I really don't understand is why Minneapolis is compared to Chicago, DT, and NYC? Those major cities have districts, which captures Minneapolis in smaller inaccessible scales. What you find about Minneapolis / St. Paul is that it's accessible. It only takes a 5-10 min drive from coffee shops with great coffee to a live affordable music show. It's "poor man's rich living" in a classy sense, separated into so many different ways. Major cities can't be really comparable to Minneapolis. It's not big enough to have everything, but it does have everything it needs in such a short amount of distance.
Arguably, Minneapolis has just about everything a major city like NYC or Chicago has...just on a smaller scale. No, we don't have all of the tourist attractions like Navy Pier or the Statue of Liberty. But we have the Walker and Minneapolis Institute of Art. We have cool bars and restaurants. We have bike trails. We have affordable, funky neighborhoods. I live right across the river from downtown in Marcy Holmes. It's quiet and green, yet right next to all the attractions of the St. Anthony Main area. Imagine getting a place with a nice neighborhood vibe but close to the center of everything in NYC. You'll pay exorbitant rents. Here, we get nearly all the attractions but at a fraction of the cost.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Arguably, Minneapolis has just about everything a major city like NYC or Chicago has...just on a smaller scale. No, we don't have all of the tourist attractions like Navy Pier or the Statue of Liberty. But we have the Walker and Minneapolis Institute of Art. We have cool bars and restaurants. We have bike trails. We have affordable, funky neighborhoods. I live right across the river from downtown in Marcy Holmes. It's quiet and green, yet right next to all the attractions of the St. Anthony Main area. Imagine getting a place with a nice neighborhood vibe but close to the center of everything in NYC. You'll pay exorbitant rents. Here, we get nearly all the attractions but at a fraction of the cost.
The Mall of America is the most visited tourist attraction in the US.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM

319 posts, read 528,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The Mall of America is the most visited tourist attraction in the US.
Not true. It's the most visited MALL in the US.

Mall of America: 40 million visitors annually (source) that means 109,500 or so per day. Times Square has more employees alone than that (source). I won't even get into the notion that somehow a giant mall in the suburbs is remotely comparable to the Statue of Liberty.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Heh. Can't wait for the next icepocalypse in Atlanta. Need to stock up on popcorn.
And for me, a few bottles of pop(Canada Dry ginger ale particularly), hot chocolate, milk, marshmallows, cheesecake, cookies, and a sled(for when I want to go outdoors).

Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
The skyways are one architectural feature one doesn't find in alot of American cities. And it speaks to the innovation in Minneapolis. I think it was done for the climate. Same thing for the Metrodome.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM

45 posts, read 103,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The skyways are one architectural feature one doesn't find in alot of American cities. And it speaks to the innovation in Minneapolis. I think it was done for the climate. Same thing for the Metrodome.
From what I remember reading long ago, the cold weather was never a selling point to get them built but rather an optimistic view by the city on future pedestrian traffic. When the skyways were first proposed back in the 30's and 40's they expected 4 times the pedestrian traffic it had when they were eventually built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul