Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

109 posts, read 302,989 times

Advertisements

i'll be visiting from southern california and staying for a week around maple grove and plymouth neighborhoods (relatives houses). are these neighborhoods typically safe? i'm pretty sure they are.

i'll be doing lots of shopping so i'm going to the mall of america, maple grove crossing, the shops at arbor lake, ridgedale shopping center, and some other malls and shopping centers.

i also noticed there's white castle chains. are there any other fast food chains that are in MN that are not in CA?

i'll also be going to local eateries and whatever i find in yelp.

are there any tours in the city? i'm looking for beer tours or company tours.

are there any must see museums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
If I were up there in Maple Grove, I'd definitely drive to a restaurant called Q Fanatic in Champlin. Diners, Driveins and Dives featured it and made it seem like a great place to eat. Address is 180 Miller Road, Champlin, MN. Phone is 763-323-6550.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Surly is in Brooklyn Center which isn't far out of the way, not sure how to get a tour. It's a popular local brew.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,956 times
There are several fine museums in the Twin Cities, but none around Maple Grove/Plymouth. I don't know what type of museum you're looking for, but here are some that I enjoy: Minneapolis Institute of Art (big and free); Museum of Russian Art (kind of a hidden gem); Science Museum of MN; Minnesota History Center; (about half MN history and half national history); numerous art galleries in NE Minneapolis Northeast Minneapolis Arts District That's all I got. Have a nice trip!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Shopping - are you going to Albertville Outlet Mall? I'm not a shopper, but hear it's a good day's shopping. It would also not be too bad a drive from Maple Grove, continue westbound on I-94.

Fast food - only other ones I can think of at the moment would be Culver's , Zantigo and Davanni's (Davanni's is not technically fast food, but casual pizza and Italian). Keep in mind Zantigo is a small chain with limited locations. While their food is relatively good (certainly compared to Taco Bell), I'm not sure I would go well out of my way to try it. On the other hand, Davanni's may be worth a small drive if in the mood for pizza or casual Italian.

Otherwise, I think it's more the other way around...if only we could get a Jack In The Box or In-N-Out!

Beer tours - As mentioned Surly Brewing, but notoriously difficult to get into one given limited times and it's all done online. Also consider another local favorite, Summit Brewing.

Local Eateries - I'm sure we can find you plenty of options, but give some insight to type of food, type of atmosphere, price range you seek. In the meantime, could check out Twin Cities Dining Guide.

Last edited by GBCommenter; 05-18-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Also, I would be quite surprised if Maple Grove or Plymouth would have anything but negligible crime...shoplifting in the stores? Maybe some graffiti or a random car break-in?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times
Does CA have Qdoba? Its a burrito place like Chipotle.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM

70 posts, read 120,291 times
I have heard about a French bakery in Maple Grove that I have been wanting to visit, you may want to check it out. It is called Chez Arnaud and it is at 13332 Bass Lake Rd in Maple Grove. They have gotten some rave reviews and won an award for "Best French Baguette in 2011". It may be worth a visit,. You can read some of the reviews on Yelp and other sites online.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM

109 posts, read 302,989 times
thanks for the suggestions! just got back from vegas and leaving for Minneapolis in 2 days. got to catch up on work and pack! Haven't heard about qdoba but apparently they have some near where i live. looks good!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM

70 posts, read 120,291 times
Personally, I don't like Qdoba, I thought it was over-priced and didn't like the food. There is a local chain called Baja Sol Tortilla Grill that offers unlimited free chips with a salsa bar, with a variety of house made salsas of different varieties, and all the fixings, the mango-peach salsa is great. They make all their own tortillas and everything is fresh. I would recommend it over Qdoba any day. There is a new one that just opened a few days ago in Plymouth, Baja Sol Tortilla Grill, 10100 6th Avenue N.
Plymouth, MN 55441. They have a deal I saw on twitter until May 31th, it is a buy one get one with the purchase of two drinks. They also have a Maple Grove location at 11611 Fountains Drive, Maple Grove, MN 55369
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul