Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 22,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
How about a budget number and number of bedrooms? Even with your added constraints, you still have about 90% of the MSP metro that you could consider. Which is good for you as far as options, at least

Lake Calhoun and that area are certainly beautiful, have homes with character and access to parks and trails, although I'm assuming rentals over there would be pretty pricey. The Three Rivers Park District Three Rivers Park District has large, beautiful parks all over the western and northwestern suburbs, so I'd consider living close to any of them a good thing. Como Park over in St. Paul is fun, and the surrounding neighborhood seems like a nice little area, too.

Umm, no more than 3-4 bdrms and our budget is about $200-$250k for a house.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
How about a budget number and number of bedrooms? Even with your added constraints, you still have about 90% of the MSP metro that you could consider. Which is good for you as far as options, at least

Lake Calhoun and that area are certainly beautiful, have homes with character and access to parks and trails, although I'm assuming rentals over there would be pretty pricey. The Three Rivers Park District Three Rivers Park District has large, beautiful parks all over the western and northwestern suburbs, so I'd consider living close to any of them a good thing. Como Park over in St. Paul is fun, and the surrounding neighborhood seems like a nice little area, too.

Our budget is $1300-$1700/month and we're looking for 2-3 bedrooms for an apartment

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM

67 posts, read 115,933 times
Hey Klynn.Caroll:

I'm in a similar boat as you. Except we aren't hoping to move until early next year. Keep in mind that my opinions aren't actually from visiting these areas yet, but I have received a lot of great tips from people on this forum and done many hours of research on my own.

I really like the Kingfield neighborhood in Minneapolis. It is very walkable, safe and you have easy access to many trails and parks. You should be able to rent a house with that budget, but your $200-$250k to purchase a house might be a bit low in that area.... from what I have noticed in looking at house prices there (even though it isn't totally out of the question). I would also consider the neighborhoods right under Lake Harriet as options. The great thing about these neighborhoods is that they have sidewalks, and the housing is older and has a lot of character. Granted I have only gone through these neighborhoods via Google Street View....but the mature tree line streets are beautiful.

With that said, I hear the suburbs are also top notch around the twin cities. What is at the top of our list is Hopkins (as far as suburbs go), but if you can go further out to Burnsville the prices of the housing will go down (but from my research they tend to be newer homes....which could be good/bad depending on what you are looking for). Generally you have plenty of access to amenities outside of Minneapolis, but if you take a close look at walkscore.com, you will notice that the farther you get away from the city, the walkscore averages go down (generally speaking...especially when you get into the third ring of suburbs). This may not mean a whole lot for what you are looking for, but it is worth mentioning.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
If you want character, I'd say stick to neighborhoods inside the cities and avoid most suburbs. For example, my large 2 bedroom apartment is $1125, brick, wood floors, across from a country club, on the Mississippi River Parkway, and 10 minutes from my job downtown on 5th and Marquette. I live on the west end of Saint Paul. You can find similar finds in Minneapolis.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
My first thought was Uptown, too, then saw that your purchase budget is pretty low. You should be able to rent something there no problem, though. Or for quieter yet still easy to downtown (and near Uptown/Lyn-Lake) is a neighborhood like East Harriet; as the name implies, that's the neighborhood to the direct east of Lake Harriet. Buying at your price point would be tough there, but you can absolutely rent a nice dog-friendly duplex there (my MIL used to have a great place there; 3 BRs, big, nice location, storage/laundry free in basement, lots of built-in woodwork and "character" (in a good way), garage space, rented out for $1300; it's been a few years and I assume rents have gone up a bit, but the area is filled with similar units. Right along the lake it's mostly huge houses, but head a few blocks inland and there are tons of nice older duplexes with spacious 2-3 bedroom units. Bryant Avenue has the 4 bus for easy downtown commutes. Live somewhere like Aldrich and you'd have easy access to some of the businesses of Kingfield (as well as some of the options along the commercial nodes along Bryant) but would be that much closer to to the lake for easy lakeside dog-walking. Or heading to the other side of the city, check into neighborhoods like Victory (to the north) or Longfellow (south); lots of upper-middle class professionals and easy nature access (and easy DT commutes) but at a lower price point. I haven't checked out prices over there these days, but you may be able to find a decent house to purchase within your price range.

That's just one option of many, of course. You'll have nearly endless options with your rental budget, but far more restrictions with your purchase budget. I'd rent first, spend the next year(s) exploring the metro area, and then figure out whether or not you want to buy and where.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My first thought was Uptown, too, then saw that your purchase budget is pretty low. You should be able to rent something there no problem, though. Or for quieter yet still easy to downtown (and near Uptown/Lyn-Lake) is a neighborhood like East Harriet; as the name implies, that's the neighborhood to the direct east of Lake Harriet. Buying at your price point would be tough there, but you can absolutely rent a nice dog-friendly duplex there (my MIL used to have a great place there; 3 BRs, big, nice location, storage/laundry free in basement, lots of built-in woodwork and "character" (in a good way), garage space, rented out for $1300; it's been a few years and I assume rents have gone up a bit, but the area is filled with similar units. Right along the lake it's mostly huge houses, but head a few blocks inland and there are tons of nice older duplexes with spacious 2-3 bedroom units. Bryant Avenue has the 4 bus for easy downtown commutes. Live somewhere like Aldrich and you'd have easy access to some of the businesses of Kingfield (as well as some of the options along the commercial nodes along Bryant) but would be that much closer to to the lake for easy lakeside dog-walking. Or heading to the other side of the city, check into neighborhoods like Victory (to the north) or Longfellow (south); lots of upper-middle class professionals and easy nature access (and easy DT commutes) but at a lower price point. I haven't checked out prices over there these days, but you may be able to find a decent house to purchase within your price range.

That's just one option of many, of course. You'll have nearly endless options with your rental budget, but far more restrictions with your purchase budget. I'd rent first, spend the next year(s) exploring the metro area, and then figure out whether or not you want to buy and where.

Wow, I hadn't realized 250k would be such a low price for a house. Once we move, the budget will go up, but only by about 50k for buying. We are planning on renting for a year, until we find an area we like and a house we can compromise on. Thanks for the suggestings though!! (:
50k isn't enough to put us in nicer areas, is it?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
If you want character, I'd say stick to neighborhoods inside the cities and avoid most suburbs. For example, my large 2 bedroom apartment is $1125, brick, wood floors, across from a country club, on the Mississippi River Parkway, and 10 minutes from my job downtown on 5th and Marquette. I live on the west end of Saint Paul. You can find similar finds in Minneapolis.

Sounds nice! Thanks for all the info!! (:

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klynn.carroll View Post
Wow, I hadn't realized 250k would be such a low price for a house. Once we move, the budget will go up, but only by about 50k for buying. We are planning on renting for a year, until we find an area we like and a house we can compromise on. Thanks for the suggestings though!! (:
50k isn't enough to put us in nicer areas, is it?
$250k isn't necessarily a low price overall, it's just a little on the lower side for a single family home in the city (Minneapolis or St Paul) itself, and most people are suggesting those areas based on your comment looking for houses with character.

If you drift out into the suburbs just a touch, you can buy lots of house for $250k. Someone mentioned Hopkins, which has half-a-dozen nice looking homes in your price range right now. Probably similar in St. Louis Park (and both of those suburbs have a little bit more of a "city" feel to them, if that is what you are looking for). Maple Grove has about 30 homes in your price range, and is loaded with parks, bike, trails, and so on, and would have easy express-bus access to downtown. It is definitely more of a stereotypical suburban environment, though, with ranch homes and split levels, rather than bungalows. Roseville would be another suburb option...quiet, and wooded, but still close to both St. Paul and Minneapolis, with about 15 houses in the $200-250k range. Any of the areas I've mentioned in this paragraph would be very safe.

Renting first is a good idea. There are so many different neighborhoods and each has plusses and minuses, and there is no substitute for seeing it yourself and seeing what you like. Of course, the excellent advice you find here is a good substitute in the meantime!

Last edited by 1stpontiac; 05-31-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,916 times
You can find older homes in suburban locations. You will generally get a lot more for the money compared to the neighborhoods being suggested.

A quick search finds a $240k house in Arden Hills built in 1937 that is on a nice lake and a 2 block walk along the lake to a park with trails.

Or there's a $190k house in Fridley built in 1923 on a 1/2 acre lot across from a large park with a lake that has a beach.

Or there's a house in Blaine built in 1940 on a heavily wooded 5 acre lot for $180k. That house would be a quiet 1/2 mile walk within 2 separate trail systems that have ponds and are frequented by people walking dogs. Plus, it would be in a quiet location that's within about a mile of pretty much all your everyday needs [Super Target, Lowes, 2 bowling alleys (one new, one old), some really good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, soon to be a Walmart, beauty school, dentist, medical clinics, post office, multiple banks, gym/fitness training places, etc.]. The house looks to be in the midst of a remodel, but not a short sale or foreclosure. I'd guess that the owner's were told the house might get torn down anyway (there's potentially a large amount of lot value in that particular area).

All of those are 2 bedrooms which might be what you want anyway. None look to be foreclosures or short sales. They are all within easy 40 minute commute range from downtown Minneapolis (probably 15-20 minutes for Fridley and Arden Hills, more like 30 for Blaine).

Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Quote:
$250k isn't necessarily a low price overall, it's just a little on the lower side for a single family home in the city (Minneapolis or St Paul) itself, and most people are suggesting those areas based on your comment looking for houses with character.

If you drift out into the suburbs just a touch, you can buy lots of house for $250k. Someone mentioned Hopkins, which has half-a-dozen nice looking prices in your price range right now. Probably similar in St. Louis Park (and both of those suburbs have a little bit more of a "city" feel to them, if that is what you are looking for). Maple Grove has about 30 homes in your price range, and is loaded with parks, bike, trails, and so on, and would have easy express-bus access to downtown. It is definitely more of a stereotypical suburban environment, though, with ranch homes and split levels, rather than bungalows. Roseville would be another suburb option...quiet, and wooded, but still close to both St. Paul and Minneapolis, with about 15 houses in the $200-250k range. Any of the areas I've mentioned in this paragraph would be very safe.

Renting first is a good idea. There are so many different neighborhoods and each has plusses and minuses, and there is no substitute for seeing it yourself and seeing what you like. Of course, the excellent advice you find here is a good substitute in the meantime!
I was more or less thinking similar thoughts. I think you can find a house in the price range you are looking and fear that some of the other comments - though well-intended no doubt - might be limiting their suggestions based on the "character" criteria. I think you are able to find houses that still maintain character in a variety of neighborhoods that offers a yard and reasonable access to downtown for work. I also wonder if maybe we are being thrown off a bit by the "upper class white couple" statement. Perhaps we are projecting or assuming what we think an "upper class white couple" would want? Is super close access to specific shopping to be considered? Are you an upscale but chain store/upscale mall type of shopper or boutique, independent type shopper, or not really a shopper at all? Is "upper class white couple" just wanting something safe (though hardly is that limited to upper class white couples)? Is it important that all of your neighbors be within a very similar socioeconomic background, or more important that the neighborhood is generally stable regardless of who might be living in the neighborhood?

As one quickly found example, there is a house in the Bryn-Mawr neighborhood that I generally remember as safe, having a more intimate neighborhood feel, 2BR (not sure if when you said "no more than 3-4 bedrooms you will consider 2BR), seemed to have some wood flooring and wood moulding on windows, etc. for the character, near Wirth Park for some nature, seemed to have some yard for the dogs, and is near I-394 for fairly quick access to downtown - and is listed at $215,000 (though admittedly it is a short sale). This house may not be the right pick for you, but point is the price and options are there. My quick search yielded other similar options, but depends on what neighborhood you want (and I only searched Minneapolis, not St. Paul).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul