Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM

102 posts, read 196,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I have had the TC metro on my radar for about 8 years now. I almost moved there from Georgia back in 2007, but couldn't quite find the job I wanted at the time. Now I live in northern Mich., which I love, but I miss being closer to a big metro. The TC's provide a touch of the northern lakes geography/climate I have now, while also sporting the dynamic metro I long to be near. Wife & I so long to raise our children in a progressive, northern metro, and the TC's fit our bill to a tee. We have a couple other towns on the list, but are not nearly as serious about them as Minny/St. Paul. We are going to attempt to move next summer.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to throw out another example of someone who sees the TC's as a great place in so many ways. I lived in the southern U.S. for 30 years, and don't think any of those towns come close to what the TC's have to offer.
Not hijacking, this is what it's for! Glad to see you've possibly found what you're looking for your family and I agree with everything you said. I would love to have a cabin in the Upper Peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,133,501 times
Quote:
I have had the TC metro on my radar for about 8 years now. I almost moved there from Georgia back in 2007, but couldn't quite find the job I wanted at the time. Now I live in northern Mich., which I love, but I miss being closer to a big metro. The TC's provide a touch of the northern lakes geography/climate I have now, while also sporting the dynamic metro I long to be near. Wife & I so long to raise our children in a progressive, northern metro, and the TC's fit our bill to a tee. We have a couple other towns on the list, but are not nearly as serious about them as Minny/St. Paul. We are going to attempt to move next summer.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to throw out another example of someone who sees the TC's as a great place in so many ways. I lived in the southern U.S. for 30 years, and don't think any of those towns come close to what the TC's have to offer.
Not that I'd prefer to live in N. Michigan, but right now that sounds nice to me....I miss the lakes! Surprisingly (to me), Ohio doesn't have many natural lakes, just reservoirs. I thought almost EVERY U.S. state had natural lakes here and there like MN and places like it......SOMETHING other than a river dam or a man-made pond. I'm 30 and I'm finding this out just now!

I'm also a city person (which is why I don't know if I could live in the U.P), but LOVE to visit the TRUE Northwoods!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,830,535 times
Quote:

This is exactly why I am strongly considering TC! Cannot waaaait to visit. I had been stuck on moving to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Thought I'd love the weather, geography, culture of Ann Arbor, but quickly realized I was fooling myself if I thought I wouldn't crave a larger downtown area and or metro area.

I am 27 yrs old and also know that whenever I am married and have kids, I want to raise my kids in a progressive, educated, city with a large metro area and lots of culture and diversity. Ann Arbor, largely fits the bill, but TC completely covers it. I hope my visit meets my expectations. Best to you and your family and the OP as well!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM

67 posts, read 115,256 times
For over a year my wife and I have researched where we want to live, anywhere in the US. I can keep my job and work from anywhere. I have two little girls, so a long term location was critical. We currently live in Helena, MT...but we want an area with much more to do and more community oriented.

Finally narrowed it down to the Twin Cities area. We will be visiting the area in early October for the first time in a long time, and are looking forward to it.

I will make a note of the places you mentioned that are worth going to (restaurants, specifically). Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM

102 posts, read 196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroane View Post
For over a year my wife and I have researched where we want to live, anywhere in the US. I can keep my job and work from anywhere. I have two little girls, so a long term location was critical. We currently live in Helena, MT...but we want an area with much more to do and more community oriented.

Finally narrowed it down to the Twin Cities area. We will be visiting the area in early October for the first time in a long time, and are looking forward to it.

I will make a note of the places you mentioned that are worth going to (restaurants, specifically). Thanks for sharing!
No problem. Anchor Fish & Chips was definitely worth the visit. We made sure to go at odd times to beat rushes which helps. Also in the NE area is Nye's Polonaise which we wish we could go back to again sooner. Really fun spot if you appreciate older decor in bars, crowd ranges from teenagers to 90 year olds and has a piano bar and a polka room.

Going around Lake Calhoun and seeing that many people take advantage of the trails is a really cool sight too.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,129,458 times
Thought I'd bump this, if that's okay. It's still relevant to those looking to relocate.

Hadn't noticed it in 2012, and stumbled across it now searching something else.

I wonder if those posters ever managed to move to MSP?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,370,263 times
I see this was 4 years ago, dunno how active the OP is, but I too recently visited Minneapolis, and am a Floridian. I live in Texas now, and it was a shorter drive (nor did it pass by as many major cities like coming from Florida would have.. that trip would take me through Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee.. this other path took me through OKC, Wichita, Kansas City, Des Moines, which were nice to see though I would have loved to see Chicago!)

While I didn't really do the things mentioned in OP, I definitely loved the place (I recently made a thread about it) and yes, it's very much denser than anywhere I've been. I had never been to the north before though, and the south really is more sprawly. Funny thing is my small city of Denton is larger per square mileage (though not by a lot) than Minneapolis!

I loved how dense it was, though. I loved that the residential areas were literally a stone's throw from big buildings, apartments and businesses. I also liked how beautiful the houses were and how compact. I love big yards but I could also get behind having a small little lawn but a big two storey house.

What I loved the most was the blend of urbanity with nature. The trees, parks and lakes are wonderful. I can't wait to visit again.

Btw for Minnesotans who are curious about why people from as far down as Florida where it's always warm, would wanna live up in MN, lemme tell you the heat gets old real quick. I don't like hot weather, at least not for as long as it lasts in Florida and I'd love a real cold winter because I actually enjoy the snow and don't stay cooped up. You can ask my SO, when Texas gets snow days, my ass is out as early as possible walking in it and taking pictures. I'm not one to complain about things like shovelling. There's worse things in life ^^

Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,129,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I see this was 4 years ago, dunno how active the OP is, but I too recently visited Minneapolis, and am a Floridian. I live in Texas now, and it was a shorter drive (nor did it pass by as many major cities like coming from Florida would have.. that trip would take me through Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee.. this other path took me through OKC, Wichita, Kansas City, Des Moines, which were nice to see though I would have loved to see Chicago!)

While I didn't really do the things mentioned in OP, I definitely loved the place (I recently made a thread about it) and yes, it's very much denser than anywhere I've been. I had never been to the north before though, and the south really is more sprawly. Funny thing is my small city of Denton is larger per square mileage (though not by a lot) than Minneapolis!

I loved how dense it was, though. I loved that the residential areas were literally a stone's throw from big buildings, apartments and businesses. I also liked how beautiful the houses were and how compact. I love big yards but I could also get behind having a small little lawn but a big two storey house.

What I loved the most was the blend of urbanity with nature. The trees, parks and lakes are wonderful. I can't wait to visit again.

Btw for Minnesotans who are curious about why people from as far down as Florida where it's always warm, would wanna live up in MN, lemme tell you the heat gets old real quick. I don't like hot weather, at least not for as long as it lasts in Florida and I'd love a real cold winter because I actually enjoy the snow and don't stay cooped up. You can ask my SO, when Texas gets snow days, my ass is out as early as possible walking in it and taking pictures. I'm not one to complain about things like shovelling. There's worse things in life ^^
FYI the mugginess in MSP this morning is almost as bad as Denton. Just checked.

It's about 78 in Denton with an awful dewpoint of 74! MSP is about 76 with a muggy dewpoint of 68. And it's not even 7 a.m. yet.

I realize it'll likely be like this another month or two in Denton whereas MSP will vary and get more comfy in a month. But their summers can get brutally hot and/or humid at times and the winter can be brutal: not a good recipe for most people.

If you enjoyed the density of MSP, I think you'd fall in love with Boston and Cambridge... but housing and rentals are sky high here vs. MSP.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 AM

256 posts, read 284,734 times
That's just it: it definitely gets muggy and horrible here, but it's only for a couple weeks each year, instead of like 6 months in Florida And as has been said 1,000 times on here, the winters are cold, but even the "brutal cold" only lasts a few weeks, too. Most of the time it's just pretty much how winter *used to be* everywhere else in the North: between freezing and 20, intermittent snow. I'll never understand how people will claim this is terrible, but are somehow okay with 37 degrees and rain, like you get everywhere else.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,645,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Tell me about it. After the heat here the last few weeks I am ready for some nice, crisp fall weather Its supposed to be sunny and less humid after today, so we got that to look forward to! I grew up in Missouri where the summers are pretty hot and sticky as well so I guess I'm getting spoiled by the Minnesota summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul