Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post

Minneapolis is better than St. Paul just like Chocolate is objectively better than Vanilla and Cookie Dough better than both.
I think a fairer comparison would be a doublestuff oreo (Minneapolis) to a regular plain oreo (St. Paul)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 25,579 times
How was if for you moving from NYC? I'm moving from
NYC as well

Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporizor View Post
Out of curiosity what turned you away from Minneapolis? I guess it depend where youre moving from. Im coming from NYC and it seems to be the same but on a smaller scale, and I can easily live with that.

Can you tell me more details about your research?
How was the change for you?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomedadvice View Post
Ok.... How far is that from river falls , wi? I will be working in WI but refuse to live there.... Just need a comfortable commute
Too far from Minneapolis to River Falls for a decent commune, IMHO.... about an hour. It's about a half hour from Woodbury. But if you're working in WI, why do you refuse to live there? Western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota are basically indistinguishable from each other.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
If I were working in River Falls and didn't already have an established life in the Twin Cities, I'd just live in Wisconsin. It's going to be a big cultural shock coming from NYC, anyway, so why not go all out and embrace a totally new place? Find yourself a nice walkable smaller town in WI, enjoy the smaller-town life, and drive into Minneapolis or St. Paul on weekends if you need more of a city fix. I don't know much at all about River Falls, but that part of Wisconsin is very pretty and I'm assuming the town itself has enough going on in the week to keep you busy; it's a college town, after all. I'm more of a big city person myself (and consider NYC my dream city), but we spent some time in a smaller city/town (about the same size as River Falls) at one point and really enjoyed it. I'd give that serious consideration before taking on a long commute. Plus, if you're working there, a lot of the people that you'll meet will all live over there, so you'll have an easier time making friends and really feeling part of the community if you can live and work in at least somewhat the same area.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Too far from Minneapolis to River Falls for a decent commune, IMHO.... about an hour. It's about a half hour from Woodbury. But if you're working in WI, why do you refuse to live there? Western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota are basically indistinguishable from each other.

I didnt know that....What I have seen so far, it seems like river falls is not the place for a someone in their early twenties. Making this move will be a huge shock for me coming from NYC, and I am open. However, I want to live some where its lively, young and there is loads to do

Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If I were working in River Falls and didn't already have an established life in the Twin Cities, I'd just live in Wisconsin. It's going to be a big cultural shock coming from NYC, anyway, so why not go all out and embrace a totally new place? Find yourself a nice walkable smaller town in WI, enjoy the smaller-town life, and drive into Minneapolis or St. Paul on weekends if you need more of a city fix. I don't know much at all about River Falls, but that part of Wisconsin is very pretty and I'm assuming the town itself has enough going on in the week to keep you busy; it's a college town, after all. I'm more of a big city person myself (and consider NYC my dream city), but we spent some time in a smaller city/town (about the same size as River Falls) at one point and really enjoyed it. I'd give that serious consideration before taking on a long commute. Plus, if you're working there, a lot of the people that you'll meet will all live over there, so you'll have an easier time making friends and really feeling part of the community if you can live and work in at least somewhat the same area.

A very valid point... I will see... I am not really the small town kind of girl... I really hope that you get to live here in NYC one day. Its an amazing city and soooo cultured and diversed and if you lke that you will absolutely enjoy it!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomedadvice View Post
A very valid point... I will see... I am not really the small town kind of girl... I really hope that you get to live here in NYC one day. Its an amazing city and soooo cultured and diversed and if you lke that you will absolutely enjoy it!
we had a place in the East Village, but then had to head west to San Francisco instead... not bad, but NYC is still my favorite American city. Minneapolis is very livable too, however, and of course MUCH cheaper. I'd still give River Falls a chance to see if you can handle it; maybe find a short-term lease to start. My husband had to take on a very long commute at one point in our past, and it was brutal. All that time in the car didn't leave much time to enjoy where we did live. I would guess that River Falls has a better young vibe than do many smaller towns, as it does have a university right there, which is a guaranteed influx of students, staff, and faculty, and I'm assuming a guarantee of some kind of nightlife. Plus, Wisconsin has better beer than MN. (just kidding, but FWIW, people really DO make beer runs to WI to pick up some of the labels you can't find on the MN side of the river.)

Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
we had a place in the East Village, but then had to head west to San Francisco instead... not bad, but NYC is still my favorite American city. Minneapolis is very livable too, however, and of course MUCH cheaper. I'd still give River Falls a chance to see if you can handle it; maybe find a short-term lease to start. My husband had to take on a very long commute at one point in our past, and it was brutal. All that time in the car didn't leave much time to enjoy where we did live. I would guess that River Falls has a better young vibe than do many smaller towns, as it does have a university right there, which is a guaranteed influx of students, staff, and faculty, and I'm assuming a guarantee of some kind of nightlife. Plus, Wisconsin has better beer than MN. (just kidding, but FWIW, people really DO make beer runs to WI to pick up some of the labels you can't find on the MN side of the river.)
ah.. I see. well I will give it a try then. lol @ the Beer runs... dont drink Beer so that wouldnt be an up for me. Now wine...we can talk. Do you know if Hudson or Stillwater would be great options as well?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM

319 posts, read 528,653 times
How far a commute are you willing to deal with? I'd probably recommend finding a place in downtown St. Paul if you're worried about the culture shock -- about a 40 min commute according to Google Maps. I lived on the east coast (including New York) for awhile before moving to Minneapolis. If you like city life, and your standards are based on the east coast, I really wouldn't recommend just diving into a small town headfirst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul