Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,707 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you guys get tired of weather questions so let me apologize in advance. My partner and I are looking at relocating to Bloomington for a job I've been offered there. We are from Oklahoma City and love the idea of moving up north to a more open minded and naturally beautiful area, but I'm worried about the weather. Oklahoma City has a few salt trucks, but when snow hits, a couple of inches shuts everything down and work is called off for a day or two. I know this will not be the case in Minneapolis since you guys are more prepared for that sort of thing, but to be realistic could I expect to live in Minneapolis or St. Paul and make it to work in Bloomington in bad weather? How tolerant are people of just plain not being able to make it up there due to weather, or are the road crews such pros it's not even an issue?
Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr182gmail View Post
I'm sure you guys get tired of weather questions so let me apologize in advance. My partner and I are looking at relocating to Bloomington for a job I've been offered there. We are from Oklahoma City and love the idea of moving up north to a more open minded and naturally beautiful area, but I'm worried about the weather. Oklahoma City has a few salt trucks, but when snow hits, a couple of inches shuts everything down and work is called off for a day or two. I know this will not be the case in Minneapolis since you guys are more prepared for that sort of thing, but to be realistic could I expect to live in Minneapolis or St. Paul and make it to work in Bloomington in bad weather? How tolerant are people of just plain not being able to make it up there due to weather, or are the road crews such pros it's not even an issue?
Thanks guys!
In general, you'll typically have a harder time making it in and out of your driveway than commuting in even the worst weather.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr182gmail View Post
Thanks guys!
Everyone else will be in the same boat as you, so people will be tolerant unless you act completely terrified and refuse to drive when there is only a minor dusting.

Generally, though, commuting will only be a problem a few days each winter. For a couple of inches, you'll want to leave some extra time, but there are so many more trucks and crews here that the major roads will be passable pretty quickly. It takes a pretty major dump to shut down roads for more than a day after it stops (although it can happen).

The hardest part of your commute will likely be getting off of your own residential street, particularly if it is a small one that is low on the clearing priority list.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
I carry a pair of titanium snowshoes in the back of the car...just in case...

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I carry a pair of titanium snowshoes in the back of the car...just in case...
I tried those once but the racket they made after I tied them to my tires was unbearable.

Last edited by Ghengis; 06-20-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
How about reality,folks?

It depends what time of the day the snow falls.

Even a few inches at rush hour will create chaos.

I recall watching the 6:00 news on KSTP5 and hearing them report of all the acciodents and delays.

No,Minnesotans do not know how to drive in snow if it happens during rush hour !

Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
One thing to consider: Your workplace may not allow for snow days. My old employer's attitude was that if the building never closed and people could make it in (never mind where from) then snowdays didn't exist. If you didn't make it in, you took it as a vacation day. For the most part, the main roads, freeways and especially in downtown St Paul will get plowed first. Side streets and suburbs later in the day. If you are renting, check with the landlords what their snow removal plan is like - do they have onsite blowers or guys that shovel? If you choose to buy, see if there's an HOA and check with them. And start reading the posts about how to drive in the snow and what kind of car/tires you might need and what to keep in the car for emergencies.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
Commuting in bad weather just sucks. The street crews are good but there's a lot of snow and a lot of cars and they can't keep up most of the time. Expect your commute to double or, most likely, triple when the snow flies.

Employers understand traffic delays due to weather but the reality is that people commute from all over. Not being able to get to Bloomington from South Mpls won't fly when you have someone coming from the northern suburbs.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I disagree with Red Wolf, most Minnesotans DO know how to drive in rush hour in bad weather, however, there is always that one person that thinks their car is impervious to bad weather that causes accidents.

Minneapolis to Bloomington will not be an issue in bad weather because you can take the surface streets, most likely, vs the freeways/highways. There is negligible commute time difference on the surface streets even during the worst weather because the speed limits pretty much prevent the above person from causing problems.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Transit options are good in the Metro, particularly in the cities and inner ring burbs. I use it to get to work. On snowy days, I'm often at work on time while my co-workers who drive in are late (and cranky when they get there!). The transit system NEVER shuts down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul