Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
I have lived in St Paul my whole life. I am on the east side of St Paul, about 10 minutes from downtown. I would take St Paul over Minneapolis ANY day! I am not into art, am not a college student, am not into the club scene any longer and I have no desire to get stuck in that traffic! I feel like St Paul is a lot less congested, more open, and I never feel out of place here.
While I'm preferable to Minneapolis, I find St. Paul is definitely a gorgeous city. But I have to disagree a bit about traffic. I was just in downtown St. Paul after an event trying to pick someone up. I don't know if it's their grid, the street capacity, or poor police traffic management, but it was impossible to get just about anywhere (including the other side of downtown) with all the traffic snarls. I ended up on a road that kicked me out of downtown (but somehow still had congestion from the event...hmm...), and had to circle around with incredibly slow-moving traffic. Definitely strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
To me, as a 40 year Minneapolis resident, St Paul is the cool place across the river. I do so much in St Paul. My favorite restaurant is Big Daddy's Kentucky Barbecue at University and Dale. I love the business district on Ford Parkway. I once danced Irish dance weekly in St Paul. I won't go on and on as I'm tempted. But if I weren't a homeowner, I'd probably live there.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,493 times
It's like every other large-ish city, it's got a mod cut part and a good part. I live in the mod cut part near dale and University and I'd compare it to living around Lake Street in Minneapolis except it has a little less Mexicans and a lot more Hmong folk.

Last edited by golfgal; 02-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: any more language like this and you will be banned

Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM

But it has AWESOME barbecue!!! Big Daddy´s BBQ - Home

Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 AM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
St. Paul is an Eastern City. Minneapolis is a Western City. This in architecture, culture and overall feel. They're very different. Both have their pros and cons. While I live in the western suburbs, I much prefer St. Paul. However...

having lived there, I would agree - the snow removal in St. Paul is beyond dismal. It's a big reason I'd never move back.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM

There have been places in downtown St Paul that remind me of driving through Buffalo New York. So many more old brick buildings still standing. Minneapolis replaced most of theirs with stuff from the 60s onward. The Lumber Exchange on Hennepin is more like downtown St Paul. In a lot of ways, St Paul seems more comfortable.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
There have been places in downtown St Paul that remind me of driving through Buffalo New York. So many more old brick buildings still standing. Minneapolis replaced most of theirs with stuff from the 60s onward. The Lumber Exchange on Hennepin is more like downtown St Paul. In a lot of ways, St Paul seems more comfortable.
I'm sure it's not totally rooted in reality, but I always got the feel that Minneapolis and St. Paul both have several generations of buildings but that the two don't overlap much. St. Paul seems to have a lot of buildings I think of a "comic-book cityscapes" (think early Superman comics or something, thick and imposing, but attractive buildings) as well as dismal projects of the 1980s. Minneapolis seems to have some industrial history (in places like the Warehouse district), while of course having a significant amount of the glass-and-steel modern feel (for better and for worse).

I'm preferable to Minneapolis in looks and size in almost every case, but I do enjoy going to St. Paul. It feels historical and quaint.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Does Minneapolis have its own version of F. Scott Fitzgerald?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Does Minneapolis have its own version of F. Scott Fitzgerald?
Diablo Cody? lol

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Diablo Cody? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul