Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM

112 posts, read 207,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
While I'm preferable to Minneapolis, I find St. Paul is definitely a gorgeous city. But I have to disagree a bit about traffic. I was just in downtown St. Paul after an event trying to pick someone up. I don't know if it's their grid, the street capacity, or poor police traffic management, but it was impossible to get just about anywhere (including the other side of downtown) with all the traffic snarls. I ended up on a road that kicked me out of downtown (but somehow still had congestion from the event...hmm...), and had to circle around with incredibly slow-moving traffic. Definitely strange.
Well thats an exception rather than the rule. Yes it is going to be congested and busy after you let 20,000 people out of an arena after a hockey game or a concert. I used to work for the MN WIld so I am well aware of the backups that occur after the games. It isnt fun but I am pretty sure I experience the exact same thing leaving a Twins game in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
Well thats an exception rather than the rule. Yes it is going to be congested and busy after you let 20,000 people out of an arena after a hockey game or a concert. I used to work for the MN WIld so I am well aware of the backups that occur after the games. It isnt fun but I am pretty sure I experience the exact same thing leaving a Twins game in Minneapolis.
I partially agree that it would be an issue for things happening in Minneapolis, but I think it helps that there seems to be wider streets and more lanes in Minneapolis. This doesn't always help the pedestrian experience, of course. But I just know I got lost more than once trying to turn around, only to run into yet another one way that wouldn't let me go the direction I wanted to. It probably also helps that it seems Minneapolis has more easy "exits" out of downtown. When I need to get home across the river from DT Minneapolis, I could go across 3-4 bridges that are essentially downtown (4 if we sort of lump the Plymouth Avenue bridge in). I am unfamiliar with parts of DT St. Paul, but it seems the X is perfectly positioned to cause the most problems for everyone trying to get to the highway who wasn't at the event.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,442,601 times
Driven downtown St Paul for 40 years. It is a myth that it is any harder than downtown Minneapolis. Of course, anyone with more experience in either downtown will have better luck than anyone with less. But spend the same number of hours getting experience, and nothing will be that different. Of course, the fact that they have been building a RAILROAD through the place might have a tiny bit of relevance to navigating in the last year or two. Building surface railroads have a way of doing that. The Hiawatha only ran on a couple of downtown streets with very little switching directions. Most of its length was on a separate right of way. I'm still waiting with anticipation what happens to St Paul traffic when the trains are running. I'm told by many "oh that's all been studied and figured out". Sorry when I hear that kind of stuff, I roll my eyes. Recent efforts to facilitate traffic on Hiawatha Avenue and all the tardy explanations why it couldn't be done right back ten years ago makes me really skeptical that we know what problems have been set aside.

But fact is no one has to drive on University or across University very much. If drivers search for the path of least resistance, they will find it. Downtown St Paul is another matter. That might be a learning curve even for us who first drove in in the 60's.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Driven downtown St Paul for 40 years. It is a myth that it is any harder than downtown Minneapolis. Of course, anyone with more experience in either downtown will have better luck than anyone with less. But spend the same number of hours getting experience, and nothing will be that different. Of course, the fact that they have been building a RAILROAD through the place might have a tiny bit of relevance to navigating in the last year or two.
The construction wasn't an issue for me. But I'd also argue "myth" is not the correct word. I'd say we have differing opinions of driving in DT St. Paul (that said, some DT Minneapolis driving is no fun during rush hour!)

Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,427,456 times
All I can add to the traffic controversy is that I always got lost in Minneapolis and never in St Paul. Must be my Irish blood

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,442,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
All I can add to the traffic controversy is that I always got lost in Minneapolis and never in St Paul. Must be my Irish blood
Jesse "The Body" says the Irish did it on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul