Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:28 PM

391 posts, read 660,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
I lived in this neighborhood for many years. In addition to the bars and restaurants, there is a beautiful Park, Irvine, just a couple blocks off of 7th.

The area is also well served by public transit.
Irvine Park is really nice, and a popular wedding spot. Further down 7th, the old Schmidt brewery is being converted to artist lofts.

Another plus is easy access to 35E, additional shopping to the south along 7th, and the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
I work in Downtown St Paul & live in the Selby/Dale/Cathedral Hill area. I grew up in Uptown Mpls so it's slower for sure, but there's a lively scene in the Selby Dale neighborhood with Muddy Pig, Sweeney's, Happy Gnome, Mango Thai, Costello's, W.A. Frost, Fabulous Fern's, Nina's coffee shop & a million little bakeries. I highly recommend you vist the intersection of Selby/Dale on a Saturday night to check it out. This area is also 4-5 blocks to lower Grand Ave (the slower part) & with a bike you'd be in the happening part of Grand Ave or Downtown in an easy 10 minute ride.

As for Lowertown, you've already gotten a great rundown. St Paul is a Government town & when those Government offices close at 5pm there's tumbleweeds blowing through the streets except for Lowertown & the West 7th area if there's a game or concert that night. I've come to really like Lowertown but I can count on one hand the bars to visit. The Bulldog, Barrio, Faces, Kelly's Depot & Amsterdam (not technically in Lowertown, but close by). That said, if Lowertown were a stock, I'd be buying. It remind me of the Loop/Warehouse District in Mpls 20 years ago & with the new supermarket & lightrail I'm convinced it's going to pop in the next few years.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
The areas along Grand Ave in St. Paul are kind of like St. Paul's version of Uptown.
Was discussing this very thing with friends the other night. Our consensus; Grand Ave = 50th & France & Selby/Dale = Uptown.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I've come to really like Lowertown but I can count on one hand the bars to visit. The Bulldog, Barrio, Faces, Kelly's Depot & Amsterdam (not technically in Lowertown, but close by). That said, if Lowertown were a stock, I'd be buying. It remind me of the Loop/Warehouse District in Mpls 20 years ago & with the new supermarket & lightrail I'm convinced it's going to pop in the next few years.
There's a building on Robert St. in Lowertown (across from the old Pedro Luggage bldg. and a block up from the Penfield/Lund's site) that's selling 800 sq. ft. lofts for 90k.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,254 times
Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'm hoping to have an offer on the table soon, and start really looking for somewhere to live in Minnesota. Right now I am leaning towards lowertown for the closeness to work. It will be nice having the extra time at home and in the community. I loved the time I spent in uptown a few years ago, but it just does not seem to be great for getting into st Paul every day.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
There's a building on Robert St. in Lowertown (across from the old Pedro Luggage bldg. and a block up from the Penfield/Lund's site) that's selling 800 sq. ft. lofts for 90k.
Is that the old artists studios building or a different one? Is it still around the corner from the downtown police and fire stations or much further down?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Is that the old artists studios building or a different one? Is it still around the corner from the downtown police and fire stations or much further down?
Rossmor Building - Robert St. between 9th & 10th. It may actually be more downtown than lowertown. I saw the units on a real estate blog awhile back.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
Rossmor Building - Robert St. between 9th & 10th. It may actually be more downtown than lowertown. I saw the units on a real estate blog awhile back.
The guy that did my senior pictures and our wedding pictures used to have his studio in that building. It's been a lot of years since I've been in there but if you want a warehouse/loft feel, that would be it.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 6,254 times
Seems like ton of these threads never get replies from the thread starter with impressions.

Day one down on my feeling out weekend. *First impressions, I like Saint Paul. *Got in around noon. Walked down to lowertown from the doubletree. Instantly liked the area around Mears park. Lots of families due to the farmers market. *Was wondering about the vibe of the area. *Went to the bulldog for lunch. *Talked with the waitress and she really talked up the area. *Said that Saturday afternoon is
not normal. *Area filled with a bunch of mid 20 to early 30's singles. *Not dead during the week. *We will test out her comments over the next few days.

Did a little tour of the capital complex. *Drove by st Paul's cathedral. Drove down summit ave and looked at the huge houses. *Drove down Selby. *Stopped for coffee at Nina's. *This area felt like Mass street in Lawrence. *I liked it a lot.

Drove down to check out a country club in mendota heights that I have been recommended. *Nice. *About 15 minutes from the capital.

Then just for ****s, we drove to Woodbury cause I was told it was a nice close suburb that had suburban hell type shops. *Then drove to mall of America to keep mom happy.

Back to Selby area to eat at happy gnome. *Great food. *Great beer selection. Bad service. But a ton of people my age there. Very nice to see.

Now I am back in hotel, thinking about going back to bulldog to check out the nightlife in lowertown.

Still going to do Minneapolis tomorrow. *But I like st Paul. *Will be working in the capital complex, if offered the position, so I think saint Paul's the place.

Thanks everyone for a ton of suggestions.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Appreciate you taking the time to come back with your impressions. I've often said that area around Nina's reminds me a bit of Boston or New York with the old brownstones. I'd recommend you check out the Muddy Pig which is on Selby/Dale right by the Happy Gnome. Probably a little more artsy than the Gnome, but plenty of 20's & 30's people hanging out there (of course it's Sunday so keep that in mind). Also, from there it's just a hop-skip-jump to Sweeney's on Dale which is another place that's worth hanging out at.

If you lived in the Cathedral Hill or Selby-Dale neighborhoods you could literally coast to work on a bike (the return would be 1st gear all the way up though ) or get a small scooter like I have & zip back/forth all summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8802 View Post
Seems like ton of these threads never get replies from the thread starter with impressions.

Day one down on my feeling out weekend. *First impressions, I like Saint Paul. *Got in around noon. Walked down to lowertown from the doubletree. Instantly liked the area around Mears park. Lots of families due to the farmers market. *Was wondering about the vibe of the area. *Went to the bulldog for lunch. *Talked with the waitress and she really talked up the area. *Said that Saturday afternoon is
not normal. *Area filled with a bunch of mid 20 to early 30's singles. *Not dead during the week. *We will test out her comments over the next few days.

Did a little tour of the capital complex. *Drove by st Paul's cathedral. Drove down summit ave and looked at the huge houses. *Drove down Selby. *Stopped for coffee at Nina's. *This area felt like Mass street in Lawrence. *I liked it a lot.

Drove down to check out a country club in mendota heights that I have been recommended. *Nice. *About 15 minutes from the capital.

Then just for ****s, we drove to Woodbury cause I was told it was a nice close suburb that had suburban hell type shops. *Then drove to mall of America to keep mom happy.

Back to Selby area to eat at happy gnome. *Great food. *Great beer selection. Bad service. But a ton of people my age there. Very nice to see.

Now I am back in hotel, thinking about going back to bulldog to check out the nightlife in lowertown.

Still going to do Minneapolis tomorrow. *But I like st Paul. *Will be working in the capital complex, if offered the position, so I think saint Paul's the place.

Thanks everyone for a ton of suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul