Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
And here I thought that the above particular locations, schools and places of employment, were targets because the crazed gun-nut perpetrators either went to school or worked at, or otherwise had an "issue" with, said establishments.
Way to miss the entire point!

We already have "no gun" zones in our country & they don't work because criminals don't follow the law or respect those zones, if they did then I might get on board with gun control. Instead, all they do is ensure no one can defend themselves from the criminals. If you expand these zones to the entire country it simply exaggerates the point.

Last edited by golfgal; 07-07-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM

83 posts, read 130,709 times
Quote:
Way to miss the entire point!

We already have "no gun" zones in our country & they don't work because criminals don't follow the law or respect those zones, if they did then I might get on board with gun control. Instead, all they do is ensure no one can defend themselves from the criminals. If you expand these zones to the entire country it simply exaggerates the point.
You said that crazed gun-nuts shoot up schools and places of employment because there aren't other crazed gun nuts at said places. To evidence this, you said that gun shows never experience such violence. Your point, ridiculous and simplistic as it was, was perfectly clear.

As for gun control, we live in the most violent, gun-happy advanced nation on earth. A place where over 70,000 persons are wounded by gunfire each year - so, yea, this isn't something we should attempt to control. We should just see to it that even more people are armed! SUPER GENIUS!

Last edited by golfgal; 07-07-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:

You said that crazed gun-nuts shoot up schools and places of employment because there aren't other crazed gun nuts at said places. To evidence this, you said that gun shows never experience such violence. Your point, ridiculous and simplistic as it was, was perfectly clear.

As for gun control, we live in the most violent, gun-happy advanced nation on earth. A place where over 70,000 persons are wounded by gunfire each year - so, yea, this isn't something we should attempt to control. We should just see to it that even more people are armed! SUPER GENIUS!
Actually, it does seem that you missed his point. We have areas where we "control" guns. It doesnt seem to work. All the loaded language in your responses does not change that fact.

Last edited by golfgal; 07-07-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Actually, it does seem that you missed his point. We have areas where we "control" guns. It doesnt seem to work. All the loaded language in your responses does not change that fact.
I understand that so called "gun-free" zones do not deter crime, but they do stiffen the penalties for those who commit crimes in those areas. Therefore, I do think they are of some value.

Last edited by golfgal; 07-07-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I would love to see gun production and available stop in this country, especially non-hunting/sporting weapons.
I think you will always see long guns (rifles and shotguns) available in this country because so many areas have a strong hunting culture, and because the hunting is sometimes needed because otherwise wildlife will reproduce out of control and die due to starvation.

I personally don't believe as strongly in small arms outside of one's household, but I'm not sure how you could get those who have a tendency to cause harm with them to disarm. Some sort of amnesty deal in exchange for turning in weapons?

The threat from the folks who use them illegally (as in using them to commit crimes) is one of the main reasons why others want to carry legally. Some people just wanted to carry out of principle, however, and I understand that as well. The US has a long history with personal weapons that much of the rest of the western world does not share.

Something you may not know. The City of Kennesaw, Georgia (a northwestern suburb of Atlanta) has a law on the books which says that the head of every household in the city must have a weapon and ammunition for that weapon stored in their home.

A person can opt out for religious reasons or simply because of a desire to not have a weapon, and the actual impact of the law on the community is sometimes debated, but it's my understanding that the law itself has had a deterring affect on crime levels in the local area.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I personally don't believe as strongly in small arms outside of one's household, but I'm not sure how you could get those who have a tendency to cause harm with them to disarm. Some sort of amnesty deal in exchange for turning in weapons?
What is so important about having small arms in the household? I grew up in a gun-free household and it seemed to work out ok. We didn't have to worry about accidental shootings, which was nice. I'm not talking about the current weapons that are already in the wrong hands as much as stopping the continued production and sale of small arms and assault weapons to the general public. Personally I have no issue with those items only being available to the military and law enforcement. That would eventually dwindle the supply of firearms in gangs, crazy college kids, DC snipers, and the like.

Quote:
The threat from the folks who use them illegally (as in using them to commit crimes) is one of the main reasons why others want to carry legally.
It bothers me that people think the solution to a gun problem is to fight fire with fire and just pile guns on top of guns, give everybody and their 2 year old gun for protection. Haven't you ever heard the "two wrongs doesn't make a right" saying? The clear better solution is to get rid of the damn things altogether.

Quote:
Some people just wanted to carry out of principle, however, and I understand that as well. The US has a long history with personal weapons that much of the rest of the western world does not share.
Yes, we all are quite fond of our country's history and the forefathers. That being said it should be no insult to our heritage to kindly put it to rest along with slavery and every other outdated belief that may have been relevant back in the 1700's.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
What is so important about having small arms in the household?
To me, nothing. I don't have a gun at all in my house, so it obviously isn't as important to me. I'm also not a member of the NRA currently, but it bothers me to see blatant misinformation posted in a forum about a group when I know several members of that group fairly well (some for 20 years or more).

From what I've been able to determine, though, there are a few common reasons among folks I know both in MN and in GA, including:

(1) Some people live in areas where break-ins have occurred, and some states (like Georgia, for example) have laws in place which give a property owner certain rights to use deadly force when threatened on their own property.

(2) A certain percentage of the folks I know who carry are former military or current cops, and they seem to like having a weapon at home for comfort reasons.

(3) Some like the idea of being able to defend themselves even though there isn't an immediate threat.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Both great points. It's easier to understand the gun availability issue when you look at other countries that don't have gun violence problems and realize that more than anything it is due to the fact that most guns simply aren't legal and available in those places. Then there are countries like Mexico. They wouldn't have a gun violence problem if violent firearms weren't so availalble and easy to come by in the U.S. Otherwise try to find an assualt weapon anywhere in Mexico. Outside of maybe Tepito in Mexico City they don't exist.

I would love to see gun production and available stop in this country, especially non-hunting/sporting weapons.
Feel free to start working on that constitutional amendment....

No, the citizens of Mexico may not have access to guns....but there is plenty of gun violence all over Mexico.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Feel free to start working on that constitutional amendment....

No, the citizens of Mexico may not have access to guns....but there is plenty of gun violence all over Mexico.
The citizens of Mexico do, in fact, have access to guns. They can own handguns - legally. Of the illegal firearms in Mexico, the vast majority are smuggled in from the US.

That said, Cruz Azul Guy is spot on.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
Quote:
how about we start to control the real root cause of gun violence? the crazy people and their irresponsible behavior? and no, this is not society's fault. its the fault of those crazy people. its the same pople who would kill others with guns, knives, axes, baseball bats, and with bare hands if they have to.

blaming guns for mass killings is like blaming spoons for fat people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul