Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM

83 posts, read 130,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

Loaded language? I guess the posters you agree with get a free pass? I was called a "lazy", "paranoid", "scared" & it was insinuated that I don't get it because I'm a rich kid from Nokomis (lol). And apparently I'm a "super genius" as well, but I notice that loaded language isn't worth a mention.

For the record I don't currently own a gun & have never been a member of the NRA. I do have some training with guns however & will tell you I see a gun simply as an object, a tool, not as a living thing that is either good or evil. The example of the person who lives in Alaska is dead nuts on imo. Or rural Minnesota for that matter, or as Michael Moore pointed out the country with the highest per capita gun owning population...Canada. None of these places have the issues the gun control people are so concerned about, why not? Why can't we admit that it's a small sub-section of the population doing most of the shooting? Why are the pro-gun control people so eager to infringe on law abiding citizens rights, so eager to overturn the Constitution, but so unwilling to talk about who's pulling the triggers? I'm 100% in favor of denying convicted felons access to hand guns. I'm on board with licensing, background & physch checks, short waiting periods, etc. but banning guns altogether because you don't like them is BS. People die every day from drunken drivers, but we don't take away everyone's licenses, we take away the actual people who're not trustworthy of having a license & leave the law abiders alone.

Lastly, I really feel the OP had no business politicizing a very serious issue in St Paul & turning it into a flame war in the first place. I've been impressed with this forum's ability to avoid the predictable & completely worthless left/right internet paradigm but this thread sets an ugly, off-topic precedent.
The quote you are referencing wasn't written by me. It was directed at me.

Last edited by golfgal; 07-07-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM

83 posts, read 130,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Fine so don't own a gun, why are you so intent on everyone having to live & think by your rules? I'm sure there are things you partake in that I would find distasteful but it's a free country & I respect your right to make your own decisions (even if I don't agree!!!) so long as they don't hurt me or infringe on my rights. Me choosing to own a gun does neither to you.
Um, I said I wasn't advocating the removal of guns. I'm not interested in others living by my rules - I do though have a right to express my opinion. Lighten up

Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
Here is an abstract from the American Journal of Epidemiology evidencing the fact that if you have a gun in your home you are not less likely, but more likely, to be murdered or commit suicide.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study
As the old saying goes, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The study also stated that "...risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death." I guess this proves that with age, comes wisdom.

More motorcycle owners die in motorcycle crashes than those who do not own motorcycles. The same is true for automobile owners. Should we ban motorcycles and automobiles also? What is your point besides everything comes with risk and requires great responsibility?

A more interesting and relevant "statistic" would be how many gun owners are crime victims compared to non-gun owners.

Personally, you do not like nor feel comfortable around guns. I get it. That's cool. However, why do you keep trying to portray guns as some kind of "necessary" evil rather than as a tool that has a legitimate purpose? A gun is no more evil than a meat cleaver, knitting needle, or a butter knife. Any item can be used for good or evil, it depends on the intent of the user.

Last edited by phlinak; 07-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: punctuation mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul