Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the lots don't get as small as some developments I have seen in Canada around Toronto and Calgary.

I don't know if they have laws requiring tiny lots or the developers are just really greedy.

Many newer developments look like this...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Hopefully the lots don't get as small as some developments I have seen in Canada around Toronto and Calgary.

I don't know if they have laws requiring tiny lots or the developers are just really greedy.

Many newer developments look like this...
Funny, the first thing that came to mind with this article was Calgary. Yes, those neighborhoods are so attractive

Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Those seem the epitome of density done poorly. I am 100% behind the concept of high-density, and think that it's economically and environmentally important to encourage policies and developments that contribute to less sprawl and all the accompanying negative impacts, but to work it's got to be done right. Based on that photo, anyway, that looks horrible. It's density without the accompanying benefits.

In contrast, take a look at a tight neighborhood like some of the Center City neighborhoods in Philadelphia, or Dupont Circle or Georgetown in DC. Not everyone's cup of tea, of course, but an example of how truly dense (not just 60' lot dense) neighborhoods can be done right.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I never understood the preoccupation with the lawn. What purpose does perfectly manicured lawn serve?
My parents' rambler-style house in Minnetonka is on a quarter acre, I think. The front yard is shaded with oak trees, and it originally had a decent sized open backyard which is now partially occupied with a deck and a garden.

For the most part, it's just grass. We played on it when we were growing up. Football, soccer, badminton, croquet, lawn bowling, etc. Kick the can. War with dart guns and beanbags. Etc. Much harder to do on the street. It was also a place we could set up a tent and go "camping" when we were little, it provided a location for a swingset, elevated playhouse with a ladder, and a sandbox, and it gave my dad a place to store a small woodpile for the fireplace. It also provided a nice place for the dog to do his business without annoying the neighbors.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I didn't read the whole article but the size of the house on the lot is an important factor, too. I imagine a "small" lot in Woodbury would look a whole lot (pun sort of intended) bigger with a St. Louis Park-sized house on it.
Good point. I've been to a few of the new McMansion-type tear-down new homes in SW Minneapolis, and the ones I've visited, anyway, have attempted to cram a huge house (and big garage) on a city lot. Those lots are not small -- plenty of room for a house, a small garage, and room left over for a yard -- but realistically if you try to cram a large footprint house and a huge garage it leaves you with very little yard space. There was still room for the kids to play (although not much), but for someone used to the more typical proportions of a Linden Hills or Fulton house and lot, the space just felt "off."

Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM

356 posts, read 605,961 times
Unfortunately, those cookie cutter neighbourhoods are not only in Calgary and Toronto. I grew up in Calgary and saw a large growth over three decades. Every time I go home, I need to re-aquaint myself with the new freeways and areas.

Luckily, I grew up in an area like Rosemount - large property, lots of mature trees, no back allies (back walking paths instead... spent hours as a kid riding my bike all over the place). They still do exist in Calgary.

Lots of them in Phoenix, Tucson, Nashville, Flagstaff - every city I have lived in. It is not only Calgary and Toronto. Kind of surprised these two cities came up as cookie cutter type neighbourhoods.

Google Maps

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Then you end up in stupid looking developments like Cobblestone where you can reach out your kitchen window and shake hands with your neighbor in their kitchen. The idea certainly didn't take off. Not appealing at all.

We used to have a yard full of trees....until the winds blew them down in that storm a couple weeks ago. Small yards don't support enough trees, you lose the shading efficiency too.
I just spent some time in Toronto. Houses in some neighborhoods totally fit that description. Wish I could have figured out how to strike up a conversation about that. The other thing I noticed in Toronto is that some apartment blocks are HUGE. I don't think the Twin Cities would even permit something that massive.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM

356 posts, read 605,961 times
Toronto is an older city. If you were near downtown, that is a very high density urban area. Houses very close together, much like you see in NY or Chicago. Even some of the older inner city and 3rd ring areas are high density. Toronto is like the NY of Canada - not a small city - and really can't be compared to the vast land of the Twin Cities. Minneapolis is very spread out, much like Calgary.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
Unfortunately, those cookie cutter neighbourhoods are not only in Calgary and Toronto. I grew up in Calgary and saw a large growth over three decades. Every time I go home, I need to re-aquaint myself with the new freeways and areas.

Luckily, I grew up in an area like Rosemount - large property, lots of mature trees, no back allies (back walking paths instead... spent hours as a kid riding my bike all over the place). They still do exist in Calgary.

Lots of them in Phoenix, Tucson, Nashville, Flagstaff - every city I have lived in. It is not only Calgary and Toronto. Kind of surprised these two cities came up as cookie cutter type neighbourhoods.

Google Maps
Lol you can't get anymore cookie cutter than this

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Lol you can't get anymore cookie cutter than this
Than 4 buildings in row that look alike? Yes, it gets much, much more cookie-cutter than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul