U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,453 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-white college grad from NYC strongly considering a move to Minneapolis. I've lived at home with my family all my life so this is a major decision and change. The company I was working for here for the last 2.5 years just closed down 6 months ago and I'm having a very difficult time finding a new job even with the help of employment agencies. I already had a rough time just to get that job and its extremely frustrating. Our unemployment level is pretty high compared to Minnesota. Also the cost of living here is ridiculously high & would burn out my savings fast, forcing me to barely live paycheck to paycheck or probably move back with my parents.

The main factors that make me want to go to Minneapolis include: low unemployment, affordable rent, and the fact that its a city where you can easily get around even without a car due to public transportation. In my mind its like a miniature version of New York. I've also ready that its got a low crime rate overall and people are relatively friendly. I've been on Craigslist and seen tons of listings for very affordable apartments and decent jobs. I also know from experience with Craigslist that there are tons of phony listings so I can't believe everything I read there.

While conducting research, I stumbled upon these forums and have been reading through the various threads which really put a big knot in my stomach. I'm very worried about racial tension, commuting and whether or not I'll be able to find a job. Is my status as a minority going to be a handicap? Am I going to be ostracized because people think I came to steal their jobs? I was thinking I could get myself settled and immediately head to job agencies so they can begin looking for work for me so hopefully I'd get something quickly.

I've heard some of the best areas are Plymouth, Edina, Eden Prairie, Seward. But how are they in terms of racial diversity? How about places like Burnsville, St Louis Park, Golden Valley, and Bloomington? Would you recommend any other areas as good places in Minneapolis? Can I easily get to busses or trains from all of those places and easily get around the city? I've read I should avoid the north and south and places like Brooklyn Park because they're supposed the bad crime areas.

Your help is welcomed & would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by iPlayNintendo; 07-11-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,540,414 times
I doubt you'll encounter significant issues with racism.

What do you mean by "best"? Those areas are all VERY different: Eden Prairie is modern stereotypical suburban big box chain store sprawl, Edina has a blend of older historic streetcar suburbs, a semi-walkable more apartment-filled area around Southdale Mall, and a bunch of residential neighborhoods ranging from 1950s-era to big McMansion-land. Plymouth also has a mix of stuff, although not as much as Edina. Seward is an older, more diverse, very liberal neighborhood near the University of Minnesota campus.

If you're planning on getting around solely or primarily by public transportation you can strike Eden Prairie, Plymouth, Burnsville, and probably Golden Valley from your list. Not that you CAN'T live in those areas without driving, but it will be more limited, and in some parts EXTREMELY limited. Parts of Bloomington, parts of Edina, parts of SLP would be okay. Seward would be easy. Realistically, if you want to get by without a car, you're going to want to focus on primarily neighborhoods (some neighborhoods will be better than others) within city limits along with a handful of suburban neighborhoods. Not that it can't be done -- it definitely can be done -- just pick your neighborhood well. Opinions vary, of course, but I'd guess that the average recent college grad without a car would be absolutely miserable living in Plymouth or Eden Prairie or Edina. Those may be great for families with kids (and cars) looking to buy houses in suburban-feeling neighborhoods, but it doesn't sound like you fit that category. Of the places you list, Seward sounds like it would be the best fit, as it offers diversity, easy access to good professional jobs, and you can live there without a car. Whittier, Uptown, and Marcy-Holmes are all other areas where it's easy to live without a car. (Uptown is my personal favorite, as there are so many amenities within walking distance, as well as a bunch of bus lines.)

I think you'll likely be able to line up a job quickly. Perhaps not your dream job, but a job that will get you started and pay the bills.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 PM

319 posts, read 503,417 times
If you're planning to be car-less, focus on Minneapolis neighborhoods, especially since you don't know where your job will be. Once you get your job etc. figured out more and acquainted with the area, it'd be easier to find someplace you could be comfortable in relatively more long term. Focusing on Minneapolis for your initial move will at least make sure you're centrality located and help minimize the uncertainty of ending up on the opposite side of the metro from where you find work.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM

5,991 posts, read 9,540,423 times
I have to comment that of all the ?'s about moving to Minneapolis from New York, racial tension would be the least of my worries (and that's not because I have so many other worries -- it's just not a major issue here).

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM

5,991 posts, read 9,540,423 times
You don't have to live in the city to experience racial diversity, but it's probably your best bet. Although I sometimes think that racially-diverse suburbs can be the most integrating places for people simply because cities are often either very rich or very poor (socioeconomic culture clash). If I was to suggest a suburb that might suit your needs most, it'd be somewhat central or at least easily accessible, racially AND culturally diverse, and somewhat young and/or transient.

Suburb Suggestions (for the region):
-Hopkins
-St. Louis Park
-Bloomington
-Brooklyn Park (not Brooklyn Center, which just seems poor and boring!)
-Crystal/New Hope (not one city, but might as well be)
-Columbia Heights
-Rosemount
-Little Canada
-Fridley

City Neighborhood Suggestions:
-Uptown/LynLake/CARAG/Wedge
-Stevens Square
-Whittier
-St. Anthony
-areas along Central Ave
-areas along Hiawatha Ave/light rail
-areas near the University of MN (like Seward or Marcy Holmes)

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,757,698 times
Wow this thread actually helps me a lot too as it appears as if the OP and I are looking for the same thing! Thanks all

Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,895,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPlayNintendo View Post
While conducting research, I stumbled upon these forums and have been reading through the various threads which really put a big knot in my stomach. I'm very worried about racial tension, commuting and whether or not I'll be able to find a job. Is my status as a minority going to be a handicap? Am I going to be ostracized because people think I came to steal their jobs? I was thinking I could get myself settled and immediately head to job agencies so they can begin looking for work for me so hopefully I'd get something quickly.
You're kidding right?

You'll be fine...move to MSP. It rocks. It's the biggest metro area between Chicago and the Pacific....not some scene out of deliverance with yokels ready to tie you up

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,646,075 times
Quote:
You'd be a mild curiosity, I suspect, but racial tension? The Twin Cities isn't Atlanta.** Not that it would be that bad down here, either. But I don't really see many people caring about your racial makeup. Just don't be a jerk or yell at anyone with a Brooklyn accent , and I'm sure you'll make friends.

The Twin Cities is still homogeneous enough that nonwhites are seen more as interesting distractions than as a threat of some type.

The big hurdle in that area is the fact that so many people in the Twin Cities are from the Twin Cities, so you end up with a lot of people who already have a decades-old friend network. That doesn't mean they aren't interested in meeting new people, not at all, but it can result in full schedules and the appearance (at least) of not being very open to newcomers.

** - Atlanta is "enlighted" in many respects, but the history between blacks and whites in that part of the country sometimes results in tensions, misperceptions, and friction. Sometimes justified, mostly not. Most of the time it's cool, but you can find some real winners in the forums every once in a while.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,453 times
Thank you, everyone! You've really helped put my worries at ease and I feel a lot more confident now that Minneapolis is the place for me. I'll of course visit and check the place out first. Hopefully if everything goes well I'll be there before summer is over. I need to learn my way around and get in touch with career centers too.

And I have read about how it may be difficult to make new friends there but I think I'll be fine. If I can find 1 or 2 good friends, that's good enough for me.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,540,414 times
Quote:
Thank you, everyone! You've really helped put my worries at ease and I feel a lot more confident now that Minneapolis is the place for me. I'll of course visit and check the place out first. Hopefully if everything goes well I'll be there before summer is over. I need to learn my way around and get in touch with career centers too.

And I have read about how it may be difficult to make new friends there but I think I'll be fine. If I can find 1 or 2 good friends, that's good enough for me.
I think you'll be fine. It's tougher for older people moving to the suburbs (and even then it depends on circumstances, but I think it does get tougher when you get to the point where a lot of your peers are busy with work and shuttling kids around and don't have much time left over), but as a younger person moving to the city (or perhaps even portions of the suburbs not dominated by families in single family houses) you're in a different category. Good luck with the move! I hope you enjoy Minneapolis, and, worst-case scenario and you don't like it, you can chalk it up as an adventure and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul