Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 AM

21 posts, read 138,027 times

Advertisements

I live in Sweden and I currently have 100mbit down - 10 mbit up, is there an ISP with a similar service in Minnetonka or Minneapolis?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundholmster View Post
I live in Sweden and I currently have 100mbit down - 10 mbit up, is there an ISP with a similar service in Minnetonka or Minneapolis?

thanks!
There is not much that comes even close to matching that in most of the United States. We are far behind many parts of the world when it comes to broadband access. Verizon "Fios" Fiber Optic service is the new "fast" residential broadband service in some cities outside Minnesota and even that is only offered up to 30/5.... or just 15/2 if you want to stay in the "reasonable" price range.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:58 AM

Wow, that sucks....

What is the best speed most people can get? Which is the best ISP?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,223,982 times
Comcast cable probably covers the most people in the metro area and their service is only 6-12 Mbps down and 384-768 Kbps up. You can probably choose from multiple DSL providers also, but anything with a "high" upload rate 1Mbps+ is usually expensive.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,546,804 times
It sucks for you. Its embarassing for me. World's superpower my ass.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
You can easily purchase a broadband ethernet connection at that speed and there are several ISP's who can provide that kind of access. It's service that is usually provided to businesses here, not homes. What you wouldn't like is the price, it's prohibitive for most residential users.

You can get whatever you want. It's just not cheap.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You can easily purchase a broadband ethernet connection at that speed and there are several ISP's who can provide that kind of access. It's service that is usually provided to businesses here, not homes. What you wouldn't like is the price, it's prohibitive for most residential users.

You can get whatever you want. It's just not cheap.
Do you know of any specific ones?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Sure, you can buy the connection from Qwest and it's called MOE(metropolitan optical ethernet). You will have a Qwest router in your home that will connect to your router. There may be other local service providers that can set up this type of connection but I don't know enough to talk about how they do it. There's also a satellite connection you can look into from HughesNet. Satellite may be less expensive so check that out for sure. As far as the ISP's go, you can connect to just about anyone. Visi and Qwest are 2 of many that will sell you that kind of speed.

As far as cost goes, I can't give you an exact number but it's safe to say it would be 1K per month or more. If you talk to the residential people at Qwest chances are they won't know what you are talking about. You need to talk to a large business person who does broadband. All they sell at the lower speeds is DSL.

Depending on how technical you are, you may want to pursue ATM(asynchronus transfer mode) to your home. It's a whole set of different protocols that carries it's own overhead. It may work out to be a little cheaper. However, the net is moving away from ATM and more networks are going to ethernet because of the standardization. Eventually, the net will probably be ethernet to eliminate protocol conversion between network elements when the end user will most likely convert cells to ethernet anyway.

Good luck! And anything is available here. You just need lots of money!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sure, you can buy the connection from Qwest and it's called MOE(metropolitan optical ethernet). You will have a Qwest router in your home that will connect to your router. There may be other local service providers that can set up this type of connection but I don't know enough to talk about how they do it. There's also a satellite connection you can look into from HughesNet. Satellite may be less expensive so check that out for sure. As far as the ISP's go, you can connect to just about anyone. Visi and Qwest are 2 of many that will sell you that kind of speed.

As far as cost goes, I can't give you an exact number but it's safe to say it would be 1K per month or more. If you talk to the residential people at Qwest chances are they won't know what you are talking about. You need to talk to a large business person who does broadband. All they sell at the lower speeds is DSL.

Depending on how technical you are, you may want to pursue ATM(asynchronus transfer mode) to your home. It's a whole set of different protocols that carries it's own overhead. It may work out to be a little cheaper. However, the net is moving away from ATM and more networks are going to ethernet because of the standardization. Eventually, the net will probably be ethernet to eliminate protocol conversion between network elements when the end user will most likely convert cells to ethernet anyway.

Good luck! And anything is available here. You just need lots of money!

Thanks for your input, Yellowsnow.
Prices seems really expensive..

I've had at least 10/10mbit for about 9 years now. I've never paid more than $40 a month.
Hopefully Minneapolis suburbia will get faster connections in the comming years.

In Sweden they have something called ADSL+, that has speeds up to 24mbit down/8mbit up. Is that up and comming in the US/Minneapolis?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Eventually the equivalent of ADSL will be available. Right now large businesses want lots of speed for large numbers of users. Residences and small businesses are not demanding more speed. For prices to come down, and they will, there needs to be more demand. More people working from home and home based internet intensive businesses. Gas prices will help drive this. The biggest change needs occur in corporate America. The managers need to stop equating work at home with less productivity and lack of control over their employees. Work at home is perceived to be a disadvantage to the corporation and an advantage to the employee. They are wrong and will figure it out someday. Sure the employee gets to save their time and gas to get to work but just think of all the realestate and heating the employer wouldn't have to pay. If work at home would be accepted, a lot of the congestion would disappear and fuel demand would go way down. Most of us techies are afraid to push for this. After all, if I can work from Minnetonka, why not pay 1/2 the price and get someone in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundholmster View Post
Thanks for your input, Yellowsnow.
Prices seems really expensive..

I've had at least 10/10mbit for about 9 years now. I've never paid more than $40 a month.
Hopefully Minneapolis suburbia will get faster connections in the comming years.

In Sweden they have something called ADSL+, that has speeds up to 24mbit down/8mbit up. Is that up and comming in the US/Minneapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul