Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 PM

46 posts, read 125,751 times

Advertisements

I don't want this question to turn into a city vs. suburb debate, but I'm wondering if there are any suburban areas of the twin cities that have more "crunchy" people. I know I can't stereotype people of any area, but I guess I'm looking for people with kids who have a more progressive, liberal mindset, who live a less materialistic lifestyle, who enjoy nature and organic food, ride bicycles a lot, etc. I'm sure there are some people like this scattered throughout the burbs, but it seems like these people tend to live in the city more often. I'm considering moving to the southern suburbs (Eagan, Apple Valley, Lakeville, or Burnsville), and wondering if I can meet some like-minded friends there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I'm from Bloomington but I have a soft, gooey center

Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 PM

203 posts, read 126,460 times
I know of no particular suburb where the people are "crunchies." In fact, the only place I know of where that population can be found in the Twin Cities in Uptown - a virtual singles area.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM

46 posts, read 125,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missclinks View Post
I know of no particular suburb where the people are "crunchies." In fact, the only place I know of where that population can be found in the Twin Cities in Uptown - a virtual singles area.
As a current Minneapolis resident, I think there are a lot of Mpls neighborhoods that have quite a few "crunchies" - NE, Longfellow, Seward, Powderhorn, and some in South and Southwest Mpls. Let me say that I'm not talking about hard core super-crunchies. It just seems to me that even the families that I know in Mpls tend to be more this type than most suburbanites I know. For example, people who like to grocery shop at a co-op rather than Cub. I'm just thinking there must be some other families out there who sort of fit this description who have migrated out to the burbs for better schools and more affordable housing.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 PM

203 posts, read 126,460 times
I am sure there are other families who fit that description but no one suburb would be identified as such.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I know people who fit that description in Bloomington, Minnetonka, and St. Louis Park. I'm sure you'll find them scattered all over. The southern suburbs are NOT known for being particularly "crunchy" -- definitely veers towards the conservative side -- but even there you'll find plenty of people around who might be kindred spirits. This is Minnesota, after all! You could try joining a co-op (I know there's one in Burnsville, and probably in all the other 'burbs out that direction, too) -- they often have classes and events. And Gardens of Eagan has a field school; can't get any more crunchy than that. As far as politics, all of those areas have both their conservatives and their liberals. I think generally speaking you'll find a higher concentration in city neighborhoods like Powderhorn, Seward, Lyndale, etc., but I doubt you'll be the only co-op shopping, bike-riding liberal on your block in Apple Valley or Eagan, either.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 AM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
I live in Eagan, and I'd say I fit the description aside from the bike riding (though I do it once in a while for fun) and the organic food. And yep, uptown_urbanist is right that there are definitely people down here who fit that description, but that they are scattered and that it's definitely not an enclave or anything like that. My rough guess is that you'd be the most likely to find them in Eagan, and maybe Mendota Heights, but I know from experience that they are going to be in every suburb.

The only actual co-op I know of is Valley Natural Foods in Burnsville, which is an institution around here (it's several decades old) and has a good reputation. This reminds me that I need to give it a try, plus I would think it might be a good starting point for finding the "crunchies" down here. There's a gluten-free bakery near me in Eagan too, and it gets good reviews, though I haven't been there either.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I know people who fit that description in Bloomington, Minnetonka, and St. Louis Park. I'm sure you'll find them scattered all over. The southern suburbs are NOT known for being particularly "crunchy" -- definitely veers towards the conservative side -- but even there you'll find plenty of people around who might be kindred spirits. This is Minnesota, after all! You could try joining a co-op (I know there's one in Burnsville, and probably in all the other 'burbs out that direction, too) -- they often have classes and events. And Gardens of Eagan has a field school; can't get any more crunchy than that. As far as politics, all of those areas have both their conservatives and their liberals. I think generally speaking you'll find a higher concentration in city neighborhoods like Powderhorn, Seward, Lyndale, etc., but I doubt you'll be the only co-op shopping, bike-riding liberal on your block in Apple Valley or Eagan, either.
Actually living in the South Suburbs and seeing people all around, you will find plenty of crunchies in Apple Valley, Eagan, etc. They tend to be homeschooling families that attend certain churches so those would be good places to start, maybe join a mom's group or whatever, to meet people.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually living in the South Suburbs and seeing people all around, you will find plenty of crunchies in Apple Valley, Eagan, etc. They tend to be homeschooling families that attend certain churches so those would be good places to start, maybe join a mom's group or whatever, to meet people.
yeah, isn't that what I wrote? That the OP will find them there, even though the area as a whole is not known for being a liberal bastion? My point was simply that the south suburbs DO NOT have a reputation for being liberal (I doubt anyone would argue against that? You're talking the part of the metro area that voted for John Kline! It is solidly Republican-leaning!), yet the OP will still find plenty of people who share his or her lifestyle and political leanings. It just won't be in the same concentrations as you would find in, say, Seward.

(although I'm a bit skeptical that the homeschooling church crowd is ultra-liberal, although they may well be "crunchy". I know of some families who solidly fit that profile. They live simple, non-materialistic lives, grow much of their own food, but are very socially conservative.)

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I fit that description pretty well, including road biking. Live quite cheap and have stockpiles of extra cash as a result, progressive mindset with a libertarian leaning... but I don't live in rural MN, I'm the oddball in the area in which I live. I used to be 'conservative' until I opened my eyes to see the truth, that both sides are full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul