Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM

319 posts, read 528,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I posted the first precinct numbers, the percentages over 2010 and 2011. Clearly those numbers along with the joint task force of MPD and HCS indicate THEY find an escalating pattern of violence. The reasons for the urgent need to deny anything is happening, I don't even care to learn. People will always say "Nothing to see here, please move on". But the cops don't have that freedom. If there's a problem, they have to deal with it. I hope next year's numbers show they have and the trend is reversed.
Did you even read what I said? The issue is the spike in robberies. That's different than a general "escalating pattern of violence." Homicides and assaults haven't increased. MPD is and should be responding to the current trends. But you're obfuscating what the current trends are by just talking about downtown being unsafe and generally rife with "violent crime"

Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
You are just pretending that trends are not what the data says they are. Murders are irrelevant because they are down everywhere. More severely in 3rd precinct than anywhere else. So you are putting on blinkers, looking at something that looks good, and overlooking the violent crime statistic that isn't "spiking" unless you call a two-year trend a "spike". If you'd read any of the MPD Facebook pages, you'd see they aren't buying into your PR. Why should they,they are face to face with the problem. Do you have some sort of real estate you are sitting on waiting for a "profit" that's never going to come? There's a serious downtown problem that no one but you is denying. I'm not going to pursue the impossibility of getting you to come off your story. I'll just let people who want facts to follow the links to the police data and draw their own conclusions.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
You are just pretending that trends are not what the data says they are. Murders are irrelevant because they are down everywhere. More severely in 3rd precinct than anywhere else. So you are putting on blinkers, looking at something that looks good, and overlooking the violent crime statistic that isn't "spiking" unless you call a two-year trend a "spike". If you'd read any of the MPD Facebook pages, you'd see they aren't buying into your PR. Why should they,they are face to face with the problem. Do you have some sort of real estate you are sitting on waiting for a "profit" that's never going to come? There's a serious downtown problem that no one but you is denying. I'm not going to pursue the impossibility of getting you to come off your story. I'll just let people who want facts to follow the links to the police data and draw their own conclusions.
Well, like someone said on another thread, if it isn't a murder it's still safe....apparently the city dwellers here feel that the spike in crime is an error on the police reports. It has the police concerned but I guess they are just blowing smoke because Minneapolis couldn't possibly be a bad place to live...

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 AM

319 posts, read 528,591 times
"Two year trend" ??? Every. Single. Category. of violent crime went down from 2010 to 2011. It's the subsequent more recent increase in specific categories that's at issue. You should probably check and see who's the one with blinders on

What does homicides being down in the 3rd precinct have to do with anything?

You want to look at the data? Well, look at the data instead of Facebook pages. The data shows a recent spike in robberies. That is very different than a "two year trend" of an "escalating pattern of violence."

The serious problem that downtown has is the hyperbole and misinformation that gets spewed with every ebb and flow of crime stats by people waiting for something to confirm their pre-established beliefs that they're the next crime victim if they step foot in the big bad city.

There definitely is something a foot with robberies right now. I don't get how you're getting I'm saying everything's all hunky dory. But you are conflating what is a specific problem area with a supposed broader, more general, and more chronic trend. That's not what's going on and not what people should be concerned about. People SHOULD be concerned about what's being done to address the increase we've recently seen in robberies. They should not be worried about a return to the circumstances of the 90s.

Remember, this is all relative to 2010 levels. This is what was said of 2010 levels at the time.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM

191 posts, read 380,315 times
You May Be Safer Living in the City - ABC News

Cars Make Suburbs Riskier Than Cities, Study Says

"The safest areas are inner suburbs; second are central cities," he says. "The most dangerous areas uniformly involve the outer suburbs or the exurbs."

Though crime dominates public fears about safety, car accidents kill far more people every year.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Somebody was murdered in Rosemount last year....sounds like a dangerous place too!

If the population of Rosemount is 5% of Minneapolis, one murder there would be like 20 in Minneapolis (and in about half of the land area).

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
You May Be Safer Living in the City - ABC News

Cars Make Suburbs Riskier Than Cities, Study Says - Los Angeles Times

"The safest areas are inner suburbs; second are central cities," he says. "The most dangerous areas uniformly involve the outer suburbs or the exurbs."

Though crime dominates public fears about safety, car accidents kill far more people every year.
I've heard this too, and I totally belive it! Accidents associated with driving or being hit by a car/truck are random and unavoidable at times too, which is very scary to think about, yet few people are truly scared of cars. It's kind of like buying gas for your car: people will obsess about finding the cheapest gas station to fill up their cars (sometimes driving many miles out of the way), and in the end you never save more than maybe $0.20 per gallon. Yet, people pay the minimum amount on their credit cards and let interest accumulate 100+ times more than your gas savings! It's a paradox!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Glenfield's law:
"As a City Data Minneapolis Forum discussion grows longer, the probability of it degenerating into a city vs. suburbs argument approaches one."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM

37 posts, read 131,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, like someone said on another thread, if it isn't a murder it's still safe....apparently the city dwellers here feel that the spike in crime is an error on the police reports. It has the police concerned but I guess they are just blowing smoke because Minneapolis couldn't possibly be a bad place to live...
Wait, you think Minneapolis is a bad place to live?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM

7 posts, read 14,258 times
I have absolutely no desire to visit Downtown; too many people, expensive restaurants and bars, crazy drivers. I can think of a more productive way to spend my weekend than to venture to downtown Minneapolis. Just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul