U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM

5,991 posts, read 9,221,940 times

Advertisements

Aren't you moving in the wrong direction (isn't everybody moving TO Austin and FROM the North)???

I also first thought of SW Minneapolis when you listed your key amenities. Also, SE Minneapolis East of the Hiawatha Corridor (incl. light rail transit) or areas South of Lake Nakomis (amazing location and affordable, safe neighborhoods, but LOUD noises from airplanes landing/taking off nearby!). Suburbs that meet your criteria and are pretty close to the airport could include Eagan, Bloomington, Richfield, St. Louis Park, Edina ($$$), or even Woodbury aren't too far from the airport. Of those, Eagan and Woodbury are completely suburban -- nothing urban about either one of them. Richfield, the East half of Bloomington, St. Louis Park and the East half of Edina are semi-urban, as is SW Minneapolis, really. Another area not being mentioned that could absolutely be the perfect fit for you guys is the Highland Park or SW side of St. Paul. It's moderately priced, very close to the airport (and outside the loud flight pathways!), has good schools, and is semi-urban or urban.

Personally, like UptownUrbanist, I prefer places like Kenny, Armitage, SE Minneapolis or Highland Park because it's a unique opportunity to live IN the city, be near beautiful urban lakes and parks, AND have access to GREAT schools (a rare tripple threat combination in this country)! I always try to explain to people who aren't familiar to the area how important it can be to be close to some of the urban lakes and parks here, which are widely used by people from all over the region or even tourists. To not have easy access to these places would be a missed opportunity in my book, and I don't want that for you. It really does matter what your preferences and priorities are though, or if you have strong dislikes for say, liberal neighborhoods or cottage/bungalow type housing (both fairly prominent in the areas mentioned).

As far as traffic goes, there is NOTHING here like I-35 in Austin, but there's really nothing like that in most cities in the entire country (poorly planned and sadly underbuilt)! Traffic though, is also not a total breeze, especially depending on what area of the city you settle in. I PERSONALLY find that the SW metro has the worst freeway traffic in the metro, South Minneapolis has the worst street traffic in the metro, and the Southern suburbs have the worst county road/highway traffic in the metro (like Burnsville, Bloomington, Apple Valley, etc). Nothing that you necessarily have to plan your life or even your entire day around, but slow enough to make a 20 minute drive an easy 1+ hours depending on the road. For example, if you fell in love with St. Louis Park (not hard to do, btw) you'd have to seriously consider traffic IF you or your wife spent a lot of time going to the airport or East Bloomington. Same if you lived in Eden Prairie (SW suburb, not urban), which I consider to be the worst suburb for traffic heading East.

Like another poster mentioned, renting first (for 6 months to a year) would be more than well worth the wait or any missed opportunity on low interest rates (remember, the Fed said they aren't changing those rates until 2014.....don't get me started on that idea!). That way you'll have spent more time here and learned more things you both like or dislike about certain areas and you can be much more certain where you want to buy a home.

Good luck with your move and plans, and welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 AM

252 posts, read 552,781 times
I would echo anyone recommending S. Minneapolis (Lake Harriet area). Also, in that price range, a few places in Edina might be a possibility. Consider Hopkins and M'tonka - more suburbish, but still quite connected to Downtown. St. Louis Park may be a slightly more affordable option - that's Al Franken's home-town for what it's worth.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
I would echo anyone recommending S. Minneapolis (Lake Harriet area). Also, in that price range, a few places in Edina might be a possibility. Consider Hopkins and M'tonka - more suburbish, but still quite connected to Downtown. St. Louis Park may be a slightly more affordable option - that's Al Franken's home-town for what it's worth.
And the Cohen Bros. (Produced Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, etc.).

Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM

391 posts, read 605,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
And the Cohen Bros. (Produced Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, etc.).
The Coen Bros. film "A Serious Man" was set in late 60's St. Louis Park, even though I think Bloomington stood in for it in the film, along with a lot of other locations throughout the metro.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
The Coen Bros. film "A Serious Man" was set in late 60's St. Louis Park, even though I think Bloomington stood in for it in the film, along with a lot of other locations throughout the metro.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I felt that A Serious Man is by far their most insular film. I definitely appreciated it for its Coenesque style and qualities, and maybe it's like their other films that you need to watch multiple times to truly understand. But since I didn't grow up a Jew in suburban Minneapolis in the 60s, it really didn't speak to me at all. I thought the best part was the kinky neighbor

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I felt that A Serious Man is by far their most insular film. I definitely appreciated it for its Coenesque style and qualities, and maybe it's like their other films that you need to watch multiple times to truly understand. But since I didn't grow up a Jew in suburban Minneapolis in the 60s, it really didn't speak to me at all. I thought the best part was the kinky neighbor
I heard it utterly sucked.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,919 times
I grew up very near Kenny and Armatage. I have to say that the area is showing signs of blight in the last few years that didn't exist in the 1980's and I worry somewhat for my parents who still live there. The housing is mostly from the 1950's, very cramped and overpriced. Similar housing tracts exist in St. Louis Park and Hopkins as well as the blight. Most of these homes will need expansion and updating for a modern family to live there. After living in many places in St. Paul and Mpls over 25 years, we ended up moving out to Minnetonka so we could have enjoy less crime, less traffic, more space from neighbors and trees around us for similar cost. Demand for property here is huge and developers are squeezing expensive homes into every cranny they can. Taxes are very high, but your insurance rates drop like a rock.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,047,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aredant View Post
I grew up very near Kenny and Armatage. I have to say that the area is showing signs of blight in the last few years that didn't exist in the 1980's and I worry somewhat for my parents who still live there. The housing is mostly from the 1950's, very cramped and overpriced. Similar housing tracts exist in St. Louis Park and Hopkins as well as the blight. Most of these homes will need expansion and updating for a modern family to live there. After living in many places in St. Paul and Mpls over 25 years, we ended up moving out to Minnetonka so we could have enjoy less crime, less traffic, more space from neighbors and trees around us for similar cost. Demand for property here is huge and developers are squeezing expensive homes into every cranny they can. Taxes are very high, but your insurance rates drop like a rock.
I have family in Armatage and Kenny, and this is the first time I've ever heard it described as having a problem with "blight"! Sounds like you just have different tastes and prefer a bigger house and bigger lot. Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone feels bigger is better. Sure, a lot of the houses in Armatage/Kenny are small, with only three small bedrooms and one bathroom, but there have been lots of people willing to add on additions, or who are willing to live in a smaller house to live in the neighborhood (which is, after all, still more affordable than Linden Hills or other popular SW neighborhoods). I don't know why you're worrying about your parents; Kenny and Armatage are great neighborhoods that are remaining very desirable, safe, and with good public schools, although luckily haven't yet had the major tear-downs afflicting adjacent Fulton. If they don't want an older house or are done doing maintenance then they should be able to find some willing buyers and get a decent price. Because while the housing may be "overpriced," there are lots of people who are willing to pay for it.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Yeah, I agree with UU (as per usual....are we long lost twins?). If you want to see what 1940's/50's Levittown-style, post-war, inner-city Americana that's BLIGHTED, feel free to drop by dreary Cleveland, OH to get a grasp for what that would look like. It couldn't be much further from what SW Mpls looks like unless it were from a completely different architectural era! I didn't even know that the original houses came with aluminum awnings -- which you'll see omnipresent here in Cleveland but I've NEVER seen it in SW Mpls (maybe North Mpls?). Some people (older) may not take care of their lawns as much as others and they may grow tall grass or even weeds, but "blighted" is not what I'd describe the area. For the most part people take very good care of the owner-occupied SFHs there. Rentals are another story, but that's to be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul