U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,042 times

Advertisements

Hey all - our family loves Austin TX, but we are sick of the heat and not really in love with the rest of the state. We have a connection to MN (my wife's family has a cabin up north) and we visit the Grand Rapids area every few years. We are contemplating a move to the MPLS / St. Paul area because frankly, it's just getting too hard to get the whole family up there to visit as much as we'd like. We think the state is gorgeous and miss it more after each visit.

While I have some experience with downtown MPLS from business trips - I don't know the suburbs or neighborhoods very well. We have three young kids (11, 9 and 5) and are socially / politically liberal...But good public schools are very important to us. Are there MPLS and St. Paul Hoods with good schools in our price range (300-350 K)? We aren't really anti-suburb per say - as long as we can get into town from time to time and enjoy what's available.

We would prefer to live in an area where Democrats make up around 40% of the populace...With that in mind, Michelle Bachmann's congressional district is a complete non-starter

I'm lucky in that I home office and travel domestically around the country for work. My wife is a former HR Manager and can work in just about any corporate setting.

My wife and I are going to be there in August for a long weekend - and thinking of taking a day to look at neighborhoods and suburbs. Any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM

From my research, the White Bear Lake / Maplewood areas northeast of St. Paul sound interesting. Any impressions of the home prices, housing stock and people in these areas?

Last edited by TandE; 07-29-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM

5,832 posts, read 6,704,458 times
You would fit into south Minneapolis, neighborhoods and schools are great, except Democrats are well over 40% here. As a conservative living in a decidedly liberal area though, I would suggest that you not restrict your search based on the politics of who you think will be living next to you. You might want to step out a little, since you never know who you'll meet or what you may learn. Diversity and tolerance and all that, you know. Welcome.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,498,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
From my research, the White Bear Lake / Maplewood areas northeast of St. Paul sound interesting. Any impressions of the home prices, housing stock and people in these areas?
Except those are right in or right next to the Bachman district

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. Proudly Serving the 6th District of Minnesota

Maplewood is hit or miss as to "good" areas closer to 3M and Woodbury the better. White Bear Lake is a nice area, schools aren't as good as neighboring Mahtomedi. Stillwater has always been a very liberal area so worth considering if you like White Bear Lake. You really want to figure out where you are going to be working before you put too much time into looking and fall in love with an area only to find that your commute is an hour plus away. There are fantastic areas all over the metro that will put you close to work and liberal communities. Contrary to other opinions, Minneapolis schools are VERY hit or miss, mostly miss, with their 48% graduation rate so be very careful if you consider Minneapolis and similarly St. Paul schools proper.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Well, we've had a mixed experience in Texas. We live in a fringe/burb and there is quite a bit of tension between the two sides (stolen, ripped up signs, scratched cars, etc). We just want to steer clear of that - if possible. Don't know if it's as in your face in MN as it is here. If we can live in peace somewhere with good schools we'll be fine.

Yeah - it's tough not knowing about work locations. I think we really just want to sample various areas in the metro so we can make the decision as to whether we really want to make the move. Oh - and thanks for the tip about Michelle!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM

5,832 posts, read 6,704,458 times
People in Minnesota are not going to get into your face about politics. We tend to be pretty reserved, polite, and generally accepting of other people. When you get here, I wouldn't make politics an opening topic of conversation. Keep it to the weather, kids, Vikings etc. and you'll do fine. If you can't control the urge to rip on Bachmann or someone else, volunteer at the local DFL office or something. Though she's pretty much universally scorned on this board, she has a lot of admirers and they are not confined to her district. The state itself is pretty much 50/50, though Minneapolis and St. Paul proper are overwhelmingly liberal. In my experience though, people here tend to keep their politics mostly to themselves. It's enabled me to make and keep friends from all over the political spectrum. Slap a bumper sticker on your car if that's your thing, but don't wear it on your sleeve.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM

319 posts, read 490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Except those are right in or right next to the Bachman district

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. Proudly Serving the 6th District of Minnesota

Contrary to other opinions, Minneapolis schools are VERY hit or miss, mostly miss, with their 48% graduation rate so be very careful if you consider Minneapolis and similarly St. Paul schools proper.
Where are you pulling these numbers out of? Citywide graduation rate in 2010 was 73.08. If you look at it per school, you'll notice only the alternatives schools are below 60%.

Results Minneapolis High School Graduation Rates - City of Minneapolis

Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM

293 posts, read 657,944 times
My advise to anyone moving a new city is to rent for six-months to one year near where your jobs are to avoid the long commutes here, then spending that time exploring getting to know the Minneapolis St. Paul area. Find out the area's you like, talk to your co-workers about where they live: likes dislikes etc. Then decide where to buy.

The metro area is very heavily Democrat; you'll need to go to rural area's 30-plus miles away from downtown to find Republican area's. Hennepin County (Minneapolis and suburbs) and Ramsey County ( St. Paul and suburbs) are both almost exclusively Democrat.

Housing prices, when you buy, are certainly within your price range most everywhere with the exception being the suburbs around Lake Minnetonka or the lakes within the city of Minneapolis.

Check with the Minnesota Department of Education website for school districts: test scores, graduation rates, % of students on free/reduced lunches, % of students speaking english as their second lanuage.

Check the MN DOT website for commute time and traffic management camera's if you'll drive to work and look at www.metrotransit.org if you are looking at mass transit for getting to and from work.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,498,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
Where are you pulling these numbers out of? Citywide graduation rate in 2010 was 73.08. If you look at it per school, you'll notice only the alternatives schools are below 60%.

Results Minneapolis High School Graduation Rates - City of Minneapolis
Yep, they are, since they changed how they calculate the grad rate from those that start 9th grade and graduate to those that start 12th grade and graduate--amazing how those numbers jumped up a couple years ago when they did that.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,922,194 times
You may like a neighborhood like Kenny or Armatage in SW Minneapolis. Excellent schools (for all grades -- there are no "miss" schools in SW Minneapolis), nice houses in your budget, tons of kids, lots of parks, near Lake Harriet and the creek, easy access to the airport, extremely family-friendly, safe enough (and with quiet enough streets) that you can let your kids bike to the library alone or go visit their friends. It's also a bit more conservative than some of the other Minneapolis neighborhoods; still overall liberals, but there are some Republicans around, and you do see Republican campaign signs, etc. Several of my neighbors were rather conservative, and it was never an issue. People didn't usually talk politics (unless they knew their neighbors were interested and willing to do so).

Linden Hills is the ultimate Twin Cities family-friendly neighborhood (also in SW Minneapolis, literally right on the banks of Lake Harriet) but it's more expensive and more liberal. You'd get more for your money in Armatage or Kenny. Schools are equally good as long as you stay in Southwest High School's zone. (Washburn is the other high school that serves portions of SW, but it's still lagging behind SW in terms of course offered, etc. Still, it's improving fast, I know many parents who are opting to send their kids there, and I wouldn't write it off. But Southwest HS remains the big name player in the area. Other parts of South Minneapolis could also be a great fit, but you'd have to investigate the specific elementary or junior high schools -- some are great, others not -- and check on the high schools. I don't know anyone willing to send their kids to Roosevelt if they can help it. South HS has a GREAT reputation, very popular with some of the city's very academically-inclined kids, although because on paper the overall test scores don't look as impressive because there are a lot of programs within the school, and it draws from a VERY diverse population. You can't go wrong with South or Southwest for high school, at least not from the academics front.)

No need to move to the 'burbs unless you want to, although in reality there's not all that much different between, say, Southwest Minneapolis and adjacent portions of Edina or Linden Hills. Or check out somewhere like the suburb of St. Anthony. If you do decide that you prefer a more modern suburban setting, I've never heard any of my friends or relatives complain about political problems in any suburb (even when very openly liberal in conservative places, or very conservative in neighborhoods with a lot of liberals) -- maybe it does happen, but I doubt it's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul