Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 12,341 times

Advertisements

Out of town Lesbian-Trans couple with several young children. Literally starting over from scratch, so we want to start with as low rent as we can until we know how much money we will be making. 2 questions.

1. We are hoping to find a cheap (under $1000 a month) 3 bedroom apartment, duplex, town home or single family home. Can you recommend any LGBTQ family friendly neighbourhoods for housing and job availability in retail or restaurant type jobs? Are there any neighbourhoods to avoid, and why?

2. We will be putting our 5 year old into kindergarten this fall, are there LGBTQ friendly schools in Minneapolis? I have an interest in the Public Montessori options in the area, do have any idea whether or not they are LGBTQ friendly?

I'm hoping for some responses from people who have actually been in the neighbourhoods, not random links to crime stats. I can look up the crime stats on my own (and believe me, I am).

I don't know any neighbourhood names, but so far we have been looking in these zip codes: 55411, 55413, 55104, 55404

Thank you so much for any help/info you can provide!!

Last edited by amelia27; 02-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Font Issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,890,988 times
I've never heard of either a friendly or non-friendly GLBT school, so I can't help you there, but I'm almost positive that it's nobody's business what the parents of the students are and I'm just as sure they can't discriminate against you or your child because you are GLBT. Whether the children have issues with other kids is a whole 'nother story, but I think times have changed quite a bit since I've been in school and my understanding is that it's a LOT better now for kids of GLBT parents!

Why don't you try Craigslist and search for South Minneapolis duplexes to rent ("shared homes" is an option I think under "Rentals")? Areas West of I-35W and South of Lake St. are generally best, but East of I-35W and South of say 42nd St is great as well (pricey too), and if you go Northeast from there there are tons of options (safe) that are South of Lake St. and East of maybe Chicago or Bloomington Aves. Basically I'm telling you to avoid the Phillips and Central n'hoods, but you can also check them out as they are probably okay by many standards. You can also go North of Lake St. and be perfectly fine, but to generalize South is just a tad easier to recommend.

Look specifically at n'hoods called "Whittier", "Lyndale", "Lyn/Lake", "CARAG", "Uptown", etc.

Good luck! Where are you coming from?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Thank you! We are coming from where we've lived in canada for the last few years. We are US citizens though.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
This is Minneapolis, one of the most gay friendly cities in the country, so there is no need to look for schools or neighborhoods that are partial to your particular sexual orientation. At least within the city itself, you can look anywhere you'd like, and send your kids to any school. It may be the same in the suburbs, but I don't know much about that.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM

411 posts, read 993,493 times
Good place to be if you are LGBT. We have what I think may be the largest gay-pride parade in the country. I'm not gay myself but am told that it's a very tolerant place to live.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM

91 posts, read 269,144 times
I dont think you will find that any of the neighborhoods in the city are more accepting than others. Most people are not going to bother you. Trans issues tend to be a bit more problematic and unfortunately are going to depend more on the person's "passability" than the area. Find the area you like best and go with that.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM

We've settled on a place in St Paul, near the Hamline University. Looks like a nice neighborhood and its close to 2 large shopping districts so jobs shouldn't be hard to find. Any personal stories about this area? I'm also looking into the school system now, what are the better elementary schools in 55104? Any schools to stay away from? Just interested in what the community vibe is. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia27 View Post
We've settled on a place in St Paul, near the Hamline University. Looks like a nice neighborhood and its close to 2 large shopping districts so jobs shouldn't be hard to find. Any personal stories about this area? I'm also looking into the school system now, what are the better elementary schools in 55104? Any schools to stay away from? Just interested in what the community vibe is. Thanks!
Cool area -- I'm jealous! I don't know much about the area so I'll leave that to the others, but congrats on the new home!!

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,862,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia27 View Post
This is either Midway or Como, how close to Hamline are you? If you are closer to Hamline it is more than likely Midway and if you are closer to Como Park it is probably Como. Both neighborhoods are pretty good an even though it is on the smaller side, I like the zoo in Como Park and being this close to the state fair every year could be fun if you are interested in that sort of thing. I used to bike to the fair every year and you will probably be able to walk depending on where your house is located.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM

We are very close to hamline, so a little over a mile to como park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul