Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb33 View Post
Really? I love that idea of historic Victorian. When you say it's busy on the weekends is there any nature activities to do there or more like shopping areas in walkable distance? I'll certainly research on the area. Thank you. In the meantime anything on the Como area? (I may have to write another post for others to see)
While Stillwater is pretty much "typical" for a MN town for racial distribution, it's a very progressive area and you would have no issues if you were dating "inter-racially". Finding someone FROM Stillwater to date will be an issue, finding people IN Stillwater on the weekend isn't going to be all that hard. Stillwater is right on the river and there are cliffs north and south of town for exploring for "outdoor" stuff. Mostly on the weekends people come to eat, frequent the many fun bars, shop and enjoy the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 AM

14 posts, read 18,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
While Stillwater is pretty much "typical" for a MN town for racial distribution, it's a very progressive area and you would have no issues if you were dating "inter-racially". Finding someone FROM Stillwater to date will be an issue, finding people IN Stillwater on the weekend isn't going to be all that hard. Stillwater is right on the river and there are cliffs north and south of town for exploring for "outdoor" stuff. Mostly on the weekends people come to eat, frequent the many fun bars, shop and enjoy the river.
Okay, so don't get me wrong, I totally CAN understand what you mean when you say "Finding someone from Stillwater to date will be an issue". The whole statement you made about the people there and me. So, if you mean the people there are like close-knit, say they meet in high school and basically marry from there, that's something I've noticed a lot of people talking about when it comes to some MN towns. So, I can grasp that and please forgive me here because I am not too knowledgable on expressing my feelings with topics such as ethnicity.

I feel that I don't connect with what people will associate as my 'culture'. That's one of the main reasons I am attracted to MN. I feel that there I can associate better, but obviously we can't truly change our ethnicity and culture. (Really our ethnicity is American, if born in the usa.) Without going on and on, my point is if others honestly see a woman who is socially and ideally (culturally) somewhat like them. Could they honestly not look past the skin color? I could understand if it were a true person of a different race And culture, but I'm certainly not like mine. I am just curious and I want an honest answer from anyone that has one. Don't worry about offending, I just like understanding others opinions. Thanks.

Extra thought: maybe it's not just that I am like that, it's more that I admire it that much to want to emulate. Just a weird thought, so I don't seem too self-hating to you all. (laughingoutloud)

Last edited by Kb33; 08-08-2012 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: Extra thought

Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb33 View Post
Okay, so don't get me wrong, I totally CAN understand what you mean when you say "Finding someone from Stillwater to date will be an issue". The whole statement you made about the people there and me. So, if you mean the people there are like close-knit, say they meet in high school and basically marry from there, that's something I've noticed a lot of people talking about when it comes to some MN towns. So, I can grasp that and please forgive me here because I am not too knowledgable on expressing my feelings with topics such as ethnicity.

I feel that I don't connect with what people will associate as my 'culture'. That's one of the main reasons I am attracted to MN. I feel that there I can associate better, but obviously we can't truly change our ethnicity and culture. (Really our ethnicity is American, if born in the usa.) Without going on and on, my point is if others honestly see a woman who is socially and ideally (culturally) somewhat like them. Could they honestly not look past the skin color? I could understand if it were a true person of a different race And culture, but I'm certainly not like mine. I am just curious and I want an honest answer from anyone that has one. Don't worry about offending, I just like understanding others opinions. Thanks.

Extra thought: maybe it's not just that I am like that, it's more that I admire it that much to want to emulate. Just a weird thought, so I don't seem too self-hating to you all. (laughingoutloud)
I was thinking you were looking for a black person to date, meaning, there are not that many that live in Stillwater. You will find plenty of Caucasians to date--sorry about the confusion. Stillwater has been a fairly transient suburb over the past 20 years or so. There are still plenty of people that grew up there and still live there but I don't think you will have an issue finding people to hang out with there at all. Most people here care about who you are as a person not what color your skin is. You will not fit in in Stillwater if you are a gang banger with your pants hanging down to your knees and the goofy hats and all the heavy jewelry and speak only in Ebonics. If you want more main stream, you will be fine.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
Kb: I will offer my experiences. If I were looking to inter-racially/inter-ethnically date, I would stay around the Minneapolis/St Paul area. I have had minimal issues in the last several years outside of a few snide remarks and one spitting incident, which is much improved over other parts of the country.

That being said, it can be difficult. Some of my friends are open to dating whomever; some are people of color and some have dark complexions. While they have dated different races and ethnic groups, they still find very small numbers of Caucasian/non-hispanic men interested in them, whether out on the town or online dating. YMMV.

This is just my $0.02 in my corner of the world.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I was thinking you were looking for a black person to date, meaning, there are not that many that live in Stillwater. You will find plenty of Caucasians to date--sorry about the confusion. Stillwater has been a fairly transient suburb over the past 20 years or so. There are still plenty of people that grew up there and still live there but I don't think you will have an issue finding people to hang out with there at all. Most people here care about who you are as a person not what color your skin is. You will not fit in in Stillwater if you are a gang banger with your pants hanging down to your knees and the goofy hats and all the heavy jewelry and speak only in Ebonics. If you want more main stream, you will be fine.

That is a relief. In the back of mind that's what I thought you meant, that last part especially, but I want to be clear. I want to get away from that type of person you described. I am Not looking for other blacks to hang out with or date. Not saying I don't like them or anything but it's my preference. Thanks So any place with an environment similar to Stillwater is a fine possibility for me. Stillwater seems like a perfect place, other than the fact that it isn't the city life. But, as I said, I could enjoy the city afterwards.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Kb: I will offer my experiences. If I were looking to inter-racially/inter-ethnically date, I would stay around the Minneapolis/St Paul area. I have had minimal issues in the last several years outside of a few snide remarks and one spitting incident, which is much improved over other parts of the country.

That being said, it can be difficult. Some of my friends are open to dating whomever; some are people of color and some have dark complexions. While they have dated different races and ethnic groups, they still find very small numbers of Caucasian/non-hispanic men interested in them, whether out on the town or online dating. YMMV.

This is just my $0.02 in my corner of the world.

I appreciate your $.02. You are looking out, giving me sound advice so thank you very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul