Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times

Advertisements

I live in the southern end of S. Minneapolis and really am interested in trying to get a job at an employer located at the southern tip of Shoreview ( right where Arden Hills ends). Currently, I rent in S. Minneapolis and really like the area; therefore, I am torn between the idea that if I were to get a job at the Shoreview company, it would be a bad commute.

Does anyone make the drive up from S. Minneapolis on 35W to the 694 area for an 8-5 type of job? I have been watching the traffic maps and while traffic doesn't seem too bad in summer, how is it in winter? Yes, it is the winter that concerns me the most.

Any input would be much appreciated. The commute would be a little over 16 miles each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
I live in the southern end of S. Minneapolis and really am interested in trying to get a job at an employer located at the southern tip of Shoreview ( right where Arden Hills ends). Currently, I rent in S. Minneapolis and really like the area; therefore, I am torn between the idea that if I were to get a job at the Shoreview company, it would be a bad commute.

Does anyone make the drive up from S. Minneapolis on 35W to the 694 area for an 8-5 type of job? I have been watching the traffic maps and while traffic doesn't seem too bad in summer, how is it in winter? Yes, it is the winter that concerns me the most.

Any input would be much appreciated. The commute would be a little over 16 miles each way.
That's a pretty easy drive as you are going against traffic. I would avoid all the 35W traffic heading into downtown by taking Cedar north. Just past 24th St as you drive under Hiawatha (55) there's an tight entrance ramp that takes you back up onto Hiawatha (West?). Stay in the right hand lane as you merge and then look for your 35W North exit. Easy breezy from there to Shoreview. Coming home the same way should be a snap.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ra=ls&t=m&z=17

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I agree, easy drive, especially if you can take surface streets that get you past the 94/35 interchange.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:55 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
That's a pretty easy drive as you are going against traffic. I would avoid all the 35W traffic heading into downtown by taking Cedar north. Just past 24th St as you drive under Hiawatha (55) there's an tight entrance ramp that takes you back up onto Hiawatha (West?). Stay in the right hand lane as you merge and then look for your 35W North exit. Easy breezy from there to Shoreview. Coming home the same way should be a snap.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ra=ls&t=m&z=17
Hey Ghengis, thanks for pointing that out to me. I didn't even think of the idea of getting on Hiawatha and then connecting to 35W. I was thinking that if I got a job up there, that I would have to move to Northeast Minneapolis at a minimum. However, living close to Hiawatha and being able to avoid 35W to downtown would probably eliminate the worse part of traffic. I could always look for another rental and be able to stay in S. Minneapolis. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul