Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM

38 posts, read 150,973 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have to come to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester for a procedure. We've never been and never had to do anything like this before. The Mayo has a list of hotels it recommends nearby, I know, but we are concerned budget wise and want something inexpensive. A place that hopefully either provides a shuttle to the clinic or we'd have to pay for a short taxi ride. Obviously, we are going to spend very little time in our room, so we just need a clean and comfortable bed. Any recommendations? Thanks so much.

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I think pretty much every hotel in Rochester has shuttle service to the clinic and Rochester just isn't that big so you are "close" to the clinic everywhere. I think there is a Microtel on the NW side of town that is in a nice area, close to shopping and places to eat. The rooms aren't spacious but we have stayed in several Microtel's and they are clean and comfortable.

Be prepared with a lot of books or things to do as you will find yourself doing a lot of waiting there.

Here is the website. I put in a random date and it looks like rooms are about $65/night.

Microtel Inn and Suites Rochester | Rochester, MN *55901 Hotel

They do have a free shuttle to the clinic.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM

38 posts, read 150,973 times
Thank you Golfgal for the recommendation. I looked it up - sounds great. It's only 4.5 miles away from the clinic. My husband is considering Fifth Avenue Inn & Suites (about the same price range) which appears to be a little over half a mile away. It has very few reviews on Trip Advisor, but one of them is very bad.

Microtel sounds much better all the way around and only $55 - $65 a night.

My husband would like to be able to walk to the Clinic, but he would not likely walk the half mile from Fifth Avenue Inn. The only other option would be The Kahler Hotel, right across the street, but that's a lot more money (about $109). It's actually amazing how many places there are to choose from.

We will continue looking and figure it all out. Thanks again for your suggestion. We may very well end up at the Microtel.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary.Ray View Post
Thank you Golfgal for the recommendation. I looked it up - sounds great. It's only 4.5 miles away from the clinic. My husband is considering Fifth Avenue Inn & Suites (about the same price range) which appears to be a little over half a mile away. It has very few reviews on Trip Advisor, but one of them is very bad.

Microtel sounds much better all the way around and only $55 - $65 a night.

My husband would like to be able to walk to the Clinic, but he would not likely walk the half mile from Fifth Avenue Inn. The only other option would be The Kahler Hotel, right across the street, but that's a lot more money (about $109). It's actually amazing how many places there are to choose from.

We will continue looking and figure it all out. Thanks again for your suggestion. We may very well end up at the Microtel.
For $109, if it works in your budget, go for the Kahler. It is an upscale hotel, connected by skyway to the clinic as well as the mall downtown. A lot of the other hotels near the Mayo (walking distance) are not very nice. The 4.5 miles for the Microtel is "highway" miles. Keep in mind that you will pay to park downtown so add that cost into your stay if you choose to stay near the Mayo.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Golfgal, looks like you've answered thoroughly, but I am wondering if this thread were moved to the Rochester sub-forum would the op get even more info?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Golfgal, looks like you've answered thoroughly, but I am wondering if this thread were moved to the Rochester sub-forum would the op get even more info?
Doubtful, since the only Rochester sub-forum I can find is under New York.

The general Minnesota forum might be helpful though.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
^^^ That's right! We don't have one....

....um...why don't we have one, city-data?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
^^^ That's right! We don't have one....

....um...why don't we have one, city-data?
Um, this was just explained on another thread--sub-forums are created based on activity for that city/topic. There just are not that many members from Rochester here, nor are there many threads about Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul