Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM

33 posts, read 42,777 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to NE Mpls at the end of August and need to set up internet. I'd love some reviews and prices on some of the providers in Minneapolis.

I have had Comcast and HATED it...horrible service (internet and customer). We had problems all the time. They actually told me at one point that I couldn't have a PC and Mac on the same bill because they aren't compatible and that's why our internet didn't work so one of us needed to buy a new computer (obviously I didn't!). To say the least, I'd prefer not to get Comcast, but if that's the best and cheapest I will consider it. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Their fiber optic system hasn't been laid in NE but I believe their wireless service is available.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM

33 posts, read 42,777 times
Thanks, Glenfield! It looks like we might be in the service area for USI Wireless. I'm looking into it a little more to see what kind of speeds we could get and what the cost could be. Does anyone have experience with this, or thoughts on any other internet providers in Mpls?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM

319 posts, read 528,921 times
USI is great if you can get a good connection to one of their nodes. I have a direct line of sight to a node about 100 feet outside my window. I get my advertised speed of 6 megs downstream consistently and for less than $30/month. If you can not get a good connection to one of their nodes, however, the quality of the service becomes much more variable.

I had Qwest before switching to USI. Qwest was better and cheaper than Comcast for unbundled internet, but their customer service has gone downhill since being take over by Century Link.

I refuse to do business with a company, Comcast, that has poor customer service, misleading advertising (speeds are subject to caps, throttling and other restrictions), and bases it's business model (bundling) on trying to leverage every last dollar it can out of antiquated technologies (cable and landline phone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul