U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 AM
 
9 posts, read 7,737 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm looking for flat cities, and flat driveways.
It seems from google video maps, and some mls photos, citiies like Apple Valley have many slightly sloped driveways. Am I looking on the wrong side of the twin cities? I read the Minneapolis side is more flat, from a previous post.

I'm tired of pushing garbage and recycling up and down the sloped driveway in Seattle.

What suburb cities, and parts of the main town are primarily flat, where most homes and driveways are flat?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,784 posts, read 26,890,641 times
Reputation: 37301
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerz View Post
I'm looking for flat cities, and flat driveways.
It seems from google video maps, and some mls photos, citiies like Apple Valley have many slightly sloped driveways. Am I looking on the wrong side of the twin cities? I read the Minneapolis side is more flat, from a previous post.

I'm tired of pushing garbage and recycling up and down the sloped driveway in Seattle.

What suburb cities, and parts of the main town are primarily flat, where most homes and driveways are flat?
have you considered converting to ball-shaped garbage instead?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 AM
 
687 posts, read 1,185,756 times
Reputation: 323
I'm not sure if any part of the Twin Cities is going to have areas where all, or even many, of the driveways have much slope to them. But, I do think the area of Coon Rapids, Blaine, Spring Lake Park, Anoka, Lino Lakes, etc. (more-or-less Anoka County) is particularly flat. There's something called the Anoka Sand Plain that might be the cause of this. I'm told that at one point Coon Rapids even built a hill so the kids would have somewhere to go sledding (seriously).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
 
9 posts, read 7,737 times
Reputation: 10
northsub, thank you! very helpful! I'll look into those asap.

Ghengis, do you have a link to this ball-shaped garbage? I'm not able to find it.
Here in WA we us the same uniform receptacles for the waste management pick up. Is this ball-shaped bin allowed with MN waste management? I am curious to see it. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,296,852 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerz View Post
northsub, thank you! very helpful! I'll look into those asap.

Ghengis, do you have a link to this ball-shaped garbage? I'm not able to find it.
Here in WA we us the same uniform receptacles for the waste management pick up. Is this ball-shaped bin allowed with MN waste management? I am curious to see it. Thanks!
Rule #1 of MSP City-Data: If you don't understand something Ghengis said, he is probably yanking your chain.


On the other hand, if your response is a similarly straight-faced, yet sarcastic, reply, then, well done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
 
701 posts, read 1,591,722 times
Reputation: 792
This thread made me think of all my friend's homes around various parts of the Twin Cities (SW Minneapolis, Edina, Richfield, Robbinsdale, Crystal, Minnetonka, Plymouth, Maple Grove...). I can think of maybe two or three that have a sloped driveway that would factor in to moving garbage at all since they are almost completely flat. Usually there is a very slight slope that allows water to run away from the garage instead of in to it. There are some garages (like my old house) that are tuck-unders and therefore below-grade--with a large slope, but that's not the norm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,296,852 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
This thread made me think of all my friend's homes around various parts of the Twin Cities (SW Minneapolis, Edina, Richfield, Robbinsdale, Crystal, Minnetonka, Plymouth, Maple Grove...). I can think of maybe two or three that have a sloped driveway that would factor in to moving garbage at all since they are almost completely flat. Usually there is a very slight slope that allows water to run away from the garage instead of in to it. There are some garages (like my old house) that are tuck-unders and therefore below-grade--with a large slope, but that's not the norm.
Agreed, out of all the things that can influence were you want to live, I can't imagine the variation in slopes of driveways being a big one, here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
 
9 posts, read 7,737 times
Reputation: 10
1stpontiac - I think Ghengis is on to something
I saw a show where a man used a remote control to mow his lawn, by watching it on a video in his garage.
now that would be a nice way to take out the garbage or blow the snow!

MnMomma - thanks!! I had a big issue with it here, and my solution was to remove some shrubs and plants, and add bark on the side of the driveway, so I push the garbage down that instead of the cement, and its working much better this way.

1stpontiac - got it, thats good news ty. here in WA there are big variations and I got stuck with the wrong one not really thinking about this kind of stuff until later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,333 posts, read 24,619,349 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
have you considered converting to ball-shaped garbage instead?
It doesn't work. The neighborhood kids kept on stealing ours and rolling it into the pool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 2,296,852 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It doesn't work. The neighborhood kids kept on stealing ours and rolling it into the pool.
His pool or yours?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top