U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM

48 posts, read 123,198 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 22 and entering my final year of college. My major is communications and minor is sports management. Sports information is my preferential career, with public relations as a backup plan right now.

I've never been to Minnesota, but I've always found the Twin Cities intriguing. Being from Seattle, I find some similarities between Seattle and Minneapolis. Based on what I've heard about the people in the Twin Cities, i seems like I would like the attitudes of the people there. Right now the 2 cities I'm the most interested in are Minneapolis and Tampa, and from my observations, I think I would like the attitudes of the people in Minneapolis better. The last thing I'd like to add is that I'm a Vikings fan and I like hockey.

For some additional info about me, I'm single, half black, Democrat (and liberal in general), Christian (not the conservative evangelical fundamentalist type), and have mild Asperger Syndrome. Factoring this in, plus my career desires, how good of a fit do you think the Twin Cities are for me?

All answers are much appreciated.

(In case you were wondering, people who work in Sports Information work for either a college athletic department or pro sports team and write game previews and recaps, fill out box scores, interview players, write game programs and team guides, and basically anything that keeps the public informed about the team. This fall I have an internship with the Sports Info department at my college.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,395,499 times
Sounds like the Twin Cities would be a good fit. There are several colleges in and around the Twin Cities that might work for jobs. The Sports Information Director position is hard to come by though. Often that job is given to a coach, at least at the smaller colleges, but if you can land a job, it sounds like you would fit in well here.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sounds like the Twin Cities would be a good fit. There are several colleges in and around the Twin Cities that might work for jobs. The Sports Information Director position is hard to come by though. Often that job is given to a coach, at least at the smaller colleges, but if you can land a job, it sounds like you would fit in well here.
Thanks for your response. The position which goes to coaches is usually the athletic director, who is the boss of the sports information director. There's also usually people who work under the SI director doing tasks for SI. Since there are many colleges in the Twin Cities, it does look like there's a market for SI.

Also, how good is Minneapolis for a guy like me ( single, half black, Democrat (and liberal in general), Christian (not the conservative evangelical fundamentalist type), and have mild Asperger Syndrome.)?

Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM

116 posts, read 192,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
Also, how good is Minneapolis for a guy like me ( single, half black, Democrat (and liberal in general), Christian (not the conservative evangelical fundamentalist type), and have mild Asperger Syndrome.)?
Minneapolis is abreast match for you. You'll feel right at home as a Liberal as long as you stay in the Cities and the near suburbs. Being mixed is very common in the Twin Cities, race really isn't an issue. Democratic Christians are super popular here, we have a bunch of churches and organizations founded on the belief that religion should be a more liberal affair. As for Asperger's, I have three friends who have it, and they all feel right at home as far as I can tell, no one will bug you about it.

I think the hardest thing for you will be the single factor. Minnesota in general is known for being pretty held back and stand-off-ish, and the "Marry your high school sweetheart" situation actually occurs quite often. But don't let that discourage you, as long as your friendly and at least semi-out going, you'll find a nice girl eventually, it might just take a little longer. Minneapolis is pretty much the Seattle of the Midwest, you'll feel very comfortable here.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,395,499 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. The position which goes to coaches is usually the athletic director, who is the boss of the sports information director. There's also usually people who work under the SI director doing tasks for SI. Since there are many colleges in the Twin Cities, it does look like there's a market for SI.

Just make sure that your assumption is correct because of all the athletic programs I have been involved with and now with our kids, the AD is not usually a coach any longer and the SI is a coach or was a coach. According to this job search site, which all colleges in MN use, there are currently no positions open for a SI in all of MN. HigherEdJobs - Jobs in Higher Education . Most of the SI's I know personally have been in their jobs for 15-20+ years and aren't really looking to retire. Not to be a pessimist, I just wouldn't want you to move here and not find a job.

As for the rest of it, you will fit in just fine as the state is mostly Democratic and Christian.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,346,950 times
Sounds like a good fit. No idea about your job, but you'll fit in just fine on the rest of it. If you're living in the city I don't think the "everyone meets their best friend in preschool" thing applies. It doesn't necessarily apply if you're in the suburbs, either (I think it varies by location), but generally speaking, the 'burbs (and some city neighborhoods) are more geared towards people with kids and settling down, not to young single professionals new to the area.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 AM

5,833 posts, read 6,975,619 times
We have acquaintance who tried to break in sports marketing with the Twins. She worked for them as an unpaid intern, but there never were any paying jobs available. There were always young people around willing to do the job for free. Eventually, she went to work at Target. I also work in a very narrow field, though totally unrelated to what you hope to do. In those situations, you find a job, move there, and make the best of it. If you end up hating an area, then you find another job, but most areas have their own special appeal in one form or another. In your field, my guess is that you'd be like the players and start in the minor leagues. Think Miesville Munhens not Minnesota Twins.

I'd suggest you stop worrying about living around other liberals and all that stuff and focus on getting a job. It's not going to be easy, especially in this economy. Plus, yu've spent three years surrounded by people exactly like you who think like you do. It's time to be around people who aren't like you. You know, celebrate diversity and all that.

I'd also suggest that you get yourself down to the job placement office first thing Monday and find out what the interviewing process is at your school. And you better broaden your search into other areas of communications. There are a lot of people dreaming your same dream, so you'll need to be flexible if you want to work and get paid for it. I don't mean to throw cold water on your ideas about moving here, but it sounds like you need a solid dose of reality. I wish you good luck.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We have acquaintance who tried to break in sports marketing with the Twins. She worked for them as an unpaid intern, but there never were any paying jobs available. There were always young people around willing to do the job for free. Eventually, she went to work at Target. I also work in a very narrow field, though totally unrelated to what you hope to do. In those situations, you find a job, move there, and make the best of it. If you end up hating an area, then you find another job, but most areas have their own special appeal in one form or another. In your field, my guess is that you'd be like the players and start in the minor leagues. Think Miesville Munhens not Minnesota Twins.

I'd suggest you stop worrying about living around other liberals and all that stuff and focus on getting a job. It's not going to be easy, especially in this economy. Plus, yu've spent three years surrounded by people exactly like you who think like you do. It's time to be around people who aren't like you. You know, celebrate diversity and all that.

I'd also suggest that you get yourself down to the job placement office first thing Monday and find out what the interviewing process is at your school. And you better broaden your search into other areas of communications. There are a lot of people dreaming your same dream, so you'll need to be flexible if you want to work and get paid for it. I don't mean to throw cold water on your ideas about moving here, but it sounds like you need a solid dose of reality. I wish you good luck.
Ummm I said Tampa is the other city I'm highly interested in, and it's pretty conservative. But I love that city nonetheless, and really enjoyed it when I went there. Seattle (my hometown) and Tampa are about as different as cities get.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolisville View Post
Minneapolis is abreast match for you. You'll feel right at home as a Liberal as long as you stay in the Cities and the near suburbs. Being mixed is very common in the Twin Cities, race really isn't an issue. Democratic Christians are super popular here, we have a bunch of churches and organizations founded on the belief that religion should be a more liberal affair. As for Asperger's, I have three friends who have it, and they all feel right at home as far as I can tell, no one will bug you about it.

I think the hardest thing for you will be the single factor. Minnesota in general is known for being pretty held back and stand-off-ish, and the "Marry your high school sweetheart" situation actually occurs quite often. But don't let that discourage you, as long as your friendly and at least semi-out going, you'll find a nice girl eventually, it might just take a little longer. Minneapolis is pretty much the Seattle of the Midwest, you'll feel very comfortable here.
Thanks. Minneapolis does seem like a good fit. As for standoffish girls, that's pretty much how they are in Seattle,

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM

5,833 posts, read 6,975,619 times
Quote:
Ummm I said Tampa is the other city I'm highly interested in, and it's pretty conservative. But I love that city nonetheless, and really enjoyed it when I went there. Seattle (my hometown) and Tampa are about as different as cities get.
You have the cart before the horse. Get a job offer first. If you get multiple offers, then you can pick which city suits you better. In a narrow field like the one you're pursuing, to start talking about being interested in one or two cities is pointless fantasizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>