U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 43,005 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Seattle. She recently lost her job and she has an upcoming phone interview for a job in Maple Grove. We have never been to the area, but in researching, it looks more attractive. The homes appear to be about half what they cost here in Seattle. Also, I am guessing that the traffic is much better. I love snow and it hardly snows here. We would be looking for a quiet, woodsy area to buy a house if we moved. How are the suburbs such as Maple Grove like? Can you really buy a really nice house in that area for under $250,000, which is about what my dumpy Seattle house is worth? It looks like it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,324,512 times
Yes, it's possible to get a pretty decent place in the suburbs for that money.

I gotta say, we really love our trees in the Twin Cities. Most older neighborhoods in the metro area have great tree cover, with deciduous and evergreens both being popular. Alternative/natural/flower garden landscaping is popular here, too. These elements give lots of neighborhoods that quiet, peaceful, woodsy vibe.

Many newer properties also have that quiet natural feeling, but they tend to be the most expensive (probably out of your range) due to natural scenery, being next to water, or being tear-down/infill development in established wealthy neighborhoods.

Newer neighborhoods built on the corn fields can look a little barren for 20-30 years, (especially if all the houses are huge three story McMansions--they look out of scale) but even they eventually fill in--developers in the TC's always plant plenty of baby trees in new neighborhoods.

Good luck with the job.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 09-03-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. The type of neighborhoods we would want would be old, established ones with lots of trees and houses with character. New developments with mcmansions is the opposite of what we want.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,056,738 times
Well, Stillwater fits that. Richfield. St Louis Park. Most of the others seem to want to be the LA megalopolis.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,628,438 times
If you are looking at a job in Maple Grove, I would look north and west for the type of house you want-places like Buffalo, Rogers, St. Michael, maybe even Elk River. Maple Grove is a newer suburb so most of the developments are going to have housing stock that is 20 years old or newer. Depending on the size of town you want, Delano is another great option on that side of the metro. A commute from Stillwater and Richfiled would be horrible. St. Louis Park would not be too bad but housing stock there is more expensive and you don't get much house for your money.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 AM

812 posts, read 2,051,800 times
Maple Grove is a mix of older and newer housing. I love that suburb and you can find a home in that price range depending on what you want in a house. If you want more house for the money I'd look north toward Osseo and Dayton or west toward Corcoran.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM

5,991 posts, read 9,487,545 times
What "era" of housing best suits your ideals? 50's-60's? 70's-80's? Pre-WWII? That will help give us some direction to point you towards (and you don't have to live in the inner-city or inner-ring suburbs to get older housing like that). Right off the top of my head, I'm wondering if Osseo would work, which is right between Maple Grove and Brooklyn Park, is diverse, good schools (I think), and is older and quaint, yet affordable (I think).

Other suburbs with that small-town center and feel might include Anoka, Elk River, Buffalo, or Champlain (not old, but not very new either). All of them are near a water source.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,289,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionosphere View Post
My wife and I live in Seattle. She recently lost her job and she has an upcoming phone interview for a job in Maple Grove. We have never been to the area, but in researching, it looks more attractive. The homes appear to be about half what they cost here in Seattle. Also, I am guessing that the traffic is much better. I love snow and it hardly snows here. We would be looking for a quiet, woodsy area to buy a house if we moved. How are the suburbs such as Maple Grove like? Can you really buy a really nice house in that area for under $250,000, which is about what my dumpy Seattle house is worth? It looks like it.
There are some nice places listed in that price range over near Eagle Lake in Maple Grove, built mostly in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't think I've specifically been through that neighborhood, but I've driven and run through some not far away and they are very pleasant, and don't have that cloneville, just-built feeling that you are talking about. Should be plenty of large trees, but might not quite feel "woodsy" depending on your standard for that.

Otherwise, if you want more isolated and actual legitimate woods in your backyard, GG is probably right to head north and/or west.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks guys. If we are blessed with a job offer in your area, we will pay attention to what you have said. Since Seattle has the 4th worst traffic in America and Minneapolis is 20th, I would expect much shorter commutes if we lived northwest of Maple Grove and wanted to get into the twin cities during rush hour? Here the traffic is gridlocked much of the time. How is it there?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM

I did a price check of average home prices between my zip code and the one of the firm in Maple Grove and the prices there are 2/3 of what they are here. The negative is that you have a state income tax, while we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul