U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,623,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Your cable and internet is included in your rent too, really? $600+30+100 is over $700 already, IF she finds a place for $600.
She didn't say she expected cable and internet to be included in the under $800 price. She did note parking, which would make the Loring Park options tougher (as parking on-street is hard to find, so she may have to pay for a space. But even that may still be doable, if she finds a good deal on an apartment).

$700 with utilities will probably be tight (although possible), but $800 including utilities is reasonable in neighborhoods like Uptown or NE. Heat is the big one, and that's typically included.

Or she could slash costs even more by going with a studio. There are some fairly big ones with alcoves for the bed out there.

I agree that she'll get more for her money with a roommate, but her budget is doable for a 1-BR, too. She might not be able to be too picky, though, as the rental market is currently fairly tight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM

319 posts, read 505,533 times
Quote:
Your cable and internet is included in your rent too, really? $600+30+100 is over $700 already, IF she finds a place for $600.
Netflix is $8/month. Hulu is free. Internet can easily be had for $30/month -- USI if it works for you, or just keep switching back and forth between the Comcast and Century Link promotions.

$650 + $8+ $30 = $688

And as was mentioned, OP did not indicate whether she was including utilities or not in her budget. The vast majority of rentals in uptown that I'm aware of do include heat, water, etc. in rent. Usually just electric and any optional services one wants that need to get covered by the renter.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,095 times
I should have been more clear, I would expect the utilities included to be heat, water, and trash. As it turns out my budget is a bit higher now, 700 - 800 for rent and 150 for utilities (internet, electricity, parking) is what I have budgeted.

And Vermont gets snow and it gets cold but not nearly close to the cold and snow y'all get. People have been telling me about negative 30 wind chills which sounds insane!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,792,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonNLime View Post
I should have been more clear, I would expect the utilities included to be heat, water, and trash. As it turns out my budget is a bit higher now, 700 - 800 for rent and 150 for utilities (internet, electricity, parking) is what I have budgeted.

And Vermont gets snow and it gets cold but not nearly close to the cold and snow y'all get. People have been telling me about negative 30 wind chills which sounds insane!
Not that uncommon, actually, but the wind isn't as big a factor in the metro area as it would be in the southern part of the state with fewer wind barriers.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM

455 posts, read 1,067,758 times
Quote:

Who said anything about cable? Cable is a luxury and a waste of money. Lots of people, including myself, rarely watch TV.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
She didn't say she expected cable and internet to be included in the under $800 price. She did note parking, which would make the Loring Park options tougher (as parking on-street is hard to find, so she may have to pay for a space. But even that may still be doable, if she finds a good deal on an apartment).

$700 with utilities will probably be tight (although possible), but $800 including utilities is reasonable in neighborhoods like Uptown or NE. Heat is the big one, and that's typically included.

Or she could slash costs even more by going with a studio. There are some fairly big ones with alcoves for the bed out there.

I agree that she'll get more for her money with a roommate, but her budget is doable for a 1-BR, too. She might not be able to be too picky, though, as the rental market is currently fairly tight.
I second the idea for a studio. I know that if my landlady sells her house, I will be looking for a studio. Less money for rent and more money for fun!!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonNLime View Post

Yes, lots of rentals here include heat and since it gets extremely cold here, you will want to make sure that it is included. If not, you may be tempted to just live in a 50 degree apartment to save money . Water and trash are also often usually included. I have rented here in the Twin Cities for years and have always found rentals where heat, water, trash, were included. Electricity is often not, but I have been lucky and found all utilities included in rentals for years. Note: I don't pick apartments that are listed in those fancy apartment guides. I have found mine through newspaper ads etc.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,813,703 times
Cable is definitely a waste of money, for $100 you could buy at least 3 complete tv seasons per month on dvd. Could afford a few movies from the 5 dollar bins as well. Who could watch more than that and stay socially healthy.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,623,655 times
These days the cable usually comes bundled with high-speed internet. We wouldn't have bothered buying it otherwise, but we got a good price for the package -- only a small amount over what we would have paid for internet, and this way we can watch all the news channels on election night. Not sure what the going price is. Probably less than $80/mo, maybe a lot less if there's a promotion for new customers.

In Minneapolis apartments we've only had to pay electricity and gas (for stove). The gas bill was really, really small, though, as it was literally just for cooking. Heat is the big bill to consider. Most apartments will fold that into the cost, but if for some reason it's not included (which would be really unlikely, I think) then make sure to ask about costs, as that will significant.

A/C is another cost to consider. That's going to vary by apartment, and is likely going to be operated on your dime. If the apartment doesn't come with A/C, ask if you can install your own window unit. Life will be much nicer if you at least have A/C in the bedroom, as summers can be hot and humid and it doesn't cool down dramatically at night.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,813,703 times
A bit off topic, but its strange how our society sees heat as a necessity and air conditioning as a luxury. Lacking one is no more deadly than lacking the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul