Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM

37 posts, read 66,893 times

Advertisements

Hello,

we are a new family that recently moved to the area. I really love Minnesota!

I'd like to plan a first trip to Minnapolis with my four kids, two teens and two elementary. The kids want to see the tall buildings and skyways. (we never seen skyways before)

I get so overwhelmed when I visit the websites of tourist attractiions and I don't know where to start.

Could anyone guide me to where to park my car and then easy walking around to see interesting buildings as museum or restaurants, sightseeing. Any kiosk for discounted half-price tickets to see a nearby theatre play (like they do in NYC)

Is there any restaurant on the top floor of a tall building?

Thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I would park at the Mall of America, walk around there, ride the light rail into downtown Minneapolis, see your skyscrapers, walk around the skyway and eat wherever. If the weather is nice it might be fun to get food from a food truck and then walk around the skyway. Not sure about the discount theater tickets. By taking the light rail from start to finish you will get to see a good portion of that part of the metro and kids think the train is fun.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Make sure to visit the Foshay Tower (downtown Minneapolis)! They have a very nice observation deck on top. Great views of the surrounding buildings, the river, and for many miles in all directions.

The Skyroom at Macy's (12th floor) is good for lunch. It's a cafeteria with huge windows and great views, and lives up to its name. It gets busy, but the line moves fast.

While downtown, it's fun just to wander around and enjoy getting "lost" in the skyways. Ideally you can go on a weekday, as things get a lot quieter on the weekends.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Good suggestions so far. The last stop on the light rail would be Target field, so if you get off and find your way around to the plaza (off of 6th street) you can get a good look in, if that is of interest to you or your teens. Actually, it looks like you can even get tours, although it is a bit pricey:

Target Field Tours - Public Tours | twinsbaseball.com: ballpark

Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 66,893 times
thank you very much! I really didn't know about the light rail. And I am intrigued with the Macy's 12 floor restaurant, sounds perfect. I will begin my research and plan with the light rail.

Much appreciated!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
If you have a car available and want to save a bit of time, I think parking in the North Loop is cheaper than downtown, or even free if you go far enough out. You could parallel on the street and walk downtown in 10-15 from there.

The Hennepin Theater Trust is your go-to for shows downtown....no kiosks that I am aware of, but here's a link to their box offices: Box Office | Hennepin Theatre Trust

Lots of food trucks downtown now for quick lunches, lots of nice sit-down places-- too many to list. But I always recommend visitors check out Eat Street (Nicollet between about Grant and 28th) for the best food in the cities. If your kids are active, you could rent bikes from Nice Ride downtown and get there quickly. I'd also check out Gold Medal Park and of course dip over to the Walker/Sculpture Garden, which is a quick walk through Loring Park from downtown. Sculpture Garden is always free.....don't know when you're coming, but Walker used to do free nights on Thursdays. They are pretty reasonable admission otherwise. Although I've never been to Mill City Museum, I would imagine that would be fun at least for the younger two...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Should give you a caveat-- the Walker is "modern art" and some of it is not kid-friendly, but they are good about posting which rooms require adult supervision. Any room without one of those signs should be fine for all four kids...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would park at the Mall of America, walk around there, ride the light rail into downtown Minneapolis, see your skyscrapers, walk around the skyway and eat wherever. If the weather is nice it might be fun to get food from a food truck and then walk around the skyway. Not sure about the discount theater tickets. By taking the light rail from start to finish you will get to see a good portion of that part of the metro and kids think the train is fun.
There's the best advice.

One of the biggest hassles of visiting a city - and Minneapolis (built around a river) is particularly bad for this - is being able to drive around, manage traffic, get to where you're going, and find parking.

The Light Rail is the ONLY way to go, for getting downtown.

The only thing that might compete with its convenience, is if the OP were to jump a Greyhound Bus near home, and come right into the downtown Mpls depot, and walk from there.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlypower View Post
Hello,

we are a new family that recently moved to the area. I really love Minnesota!

I'd like to plan a first trip to Minnapolis with my four kids, two teens and two elementary. The kids want to see the tall buildings and skyways. (we never seen skyways before)

I get so overwhelmed when I visit the websites of tourist attractiions and I don't know where to start.

Could anyone guide me to where to park my car and then easy walking around to see interesting buildings as museum or restaurants, sightseeing. Any kiosk for discounted half-price tickets to see a nearby theatre play (like they do in NYC)

Is there any restaurant on the top floor of a tall building?

Thank you for any advice.
My favourite museum is the Minneapolis Institute of Art but it's nowhere near the Light Rail. You'd have to get the bus or drive there somehow. But it is a great museum and even has a kind of daycare where you can leave the children if they don't want to schlep around a bunch of moldy old art . D'Amicos restaurant is there and the giftshop is fun.

Another place I really enjoy is the MN Arboretum but again, miles away from downtown. You would definitely need to drive there. In downtown St Paul you've got the Children's Museum and the Science Museum - both good places.

Otherwise you've got some really good suggestions so far.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
My favourite museum is the Minneapolis Institute of Art but it's nowhere near the Light Rail. You'd have to get the bus or drive there somehow. But it is a great museum and even has a kind of daycare where you can leave the children if they don't want to schlep around a bunch of moldy old art . D'Amicos restaurant is there and the giftshop is fun.

Another place I really enjoy is the MN Arboretum but again, miles away from downtown. You would definitely need to drive there. In downtown St Paul you've got the Children's Museum and the Science Museum - both good places.

Otherwise you've got some really good suggestions so far.
Honestly, there are a lot of things to see and places worth visiting that are not anywhere near the Light Rail. I don't know where you're coming from, but if you're from the East Coast like me and you're used to traffic in Philly, Baltimore, or DC, then driving in The Cities won't even phase you and you'll have the mobility and convenience of your car.

Just some food for thought

Last edited by phlinak; 09-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul