Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM

124 posts, read 369,173 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering going to the U...I will graduate in 08 and have already applied to the Carlson School of Management. I noticed that it was ranked in the top 20(ish) in the nation. I went on a campus visit this summer and loved the school, city, etc. Iwas just wondering if anyone could give their opinion on the school as far as competitiveness, reputation, campus life, etc...the things that they don't generally tell you. Rankings are good, but they can't tell you everything about a place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
AT9 & Steiry: You'll find some good info about UM (and every other college and university in the US) that addresses some of your questions at princetonreview.com. It's much better tha US News tankings, and is free, to boot!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
AT9 & Steiry: You'll find some good info about UM (and every other college and university in the US) that addresses some of your questions at princetonreview.com. It's much better tha US News tankings, and is free, to boot!
Hmmm....if you read the Princeton review then you'd read what I am talking about regarding the number of TA's and how students feel about it. I'd suggest reading the actual book as it has far more info then the web site does.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I see various people referring to the U of M as a state school. It's actually a private university, same as Hamline and all the other MIAC schools.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
/\ Are you kidding?
The Univ. of Minn. is a state, land-grant university. They gave the U to Mpls., the Capitol to Saint Paul and the prison to Stillwater. You must have us confused with Northwestern or something.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM

I pay $940/credit at the U, where is the state funding in that??? As far as I'm concerned it's a private school.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I pay $940/credit at the U, where is the state funding in that??? As far as I'm concerned it's a private school.

Except at the REAL private schools you would be paying at least DOUBLE that. The U is "owned" by the state which makes it a public school. Private schools are "owned" by a church or whatever, thus a private school, just like some companies are owned by stockholders and are public companies while others are owned by individuals and are thus private.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
You may feel it charges like a private school (trust me, Hamline is much more, and Macalester is even worse), but it is a public school. Tuition is generally in line with like institutions (Mich., Wisc., et. cetera) The state pays for about 4/10th of the cost of the University so you don't have to. Even more if you are from Wisconsin
If you are paying $940 per credit, you are from Out-of-State and including room and board.
Tuition Rates, Undergraduate

Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 PM

I still don't understand how the state of California more or less pays for your education and we pay so freaking much. I thought our state spending on education/health care was higher than other states? Where does the money go, thats what I want to know.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
I still don't understand how the state of California more or less pays for your education and we pay so freaking much. I thought our state spending on education/health care was higher than other states? Where does the money go, thats what I want to know.
Our education budget is spend on the K-12 schools more so then the university aged students and it well should be. California schools as a whole are terrible, Minnesota tops the nation in education, there is the difference. If a child can't read or write what good is paying for their first 2 years of college like they do in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul