Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM

191 posts, read 380,357 times

Advertisements

twin city sidewalks: Sidewalk of the Week: Somewhere near Queens Drive

Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
That was not the "Finest outdoor cafe in Woodbury" and he didnt even take a picture of the actual outdoor part of that Starbucks, he decided to take a picture of the side of the building just to put a bad image on Woodbury....

I grew up in Woodbury and i took my bicycle everywhere, i go back every once in a while and bike around the trails which are really nice, i will say when i do go there the only problem is that people drive very crazy there and crosswalks are invisible to them....

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
ooooooooooooooh, I predict that this thread isn't going to end well

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM

321 posts, read 860,886 times
Woodbury has the second most extensive and dense trail system in the metro area, in terms of being more than just alongside main roads. I'm not a fan of the suburbs, but I drive out there from time to time to bike around the trails. A lot of them wind through the woods, which is fun.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
And this is better???

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
^ Is that a trick question? Yes, MASSIVELY better. Granted, Hennepin has a long ways to go towards being a pleasant place for a stroll (and would tend to walk on Nicollet, which is much nicer), but at least it is an environment designed for all modes of transportation, including people on foot. Although I'm sure there are some very nice Woodbury trails. I guess it comes down to your purpose in walking.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
^ Is that a trick question? Yes, MASSIVELY better. Granted, Hennepin has a long ways to go towards being a pleasant place for a stroll (and would tend to walk on Nicollet, which is much nicer), but at least it is an environment designed for all modes of transportation, including people on foot. Although I'm sure there are some very nice Woodbury trails. I guess it comes down to your purpose in walking.
Again, a matter of opinion but I HATE walking in downtown Minneapolis--WAY, WAY too much traffic, noise and MESS!!! The roads in Woodbury, and most suburbs, are equally designed for all modes of transportation whether you chose to believe that or not....

Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, a matter of opinion but I HATE walking in downtown Minneapolis--WAY, WAY too much traffic, noise and MESS!!! The roads in Woodbury, and most suburbs, are equally designed for all modes of transportation whether you chose to believe that or not....
well, to each his own. I haven't spent much time walking in Woodbury (although have spent a great deal of time walking in a variety of other suburbs, mostly on the Minneapolis side of town), but I'd venture that most people would consider a street without a sidewalk, or a sidewalk that starts and stops, or a small sidewalk directly adjacent to a fast-moving driving lane, is probably not designed equally for both cars and pedestrians. But of course that's a matter of comfort. I don't like walking on grassy strips or in the street, and prefer the safety of a sidewalk. I'm weird like that.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Why not use the skyway system?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
I would guess you're probably in the minority here. My wife and I make it a point to spend an evening walking around downtown Minneapolis at least once a week as it is one of our favorite places to be, and our experience is nothing like what you describe. It's funny you should mention the traffic, noise and mess because lately I've been driving through downtown in my morning commute and it's been a very pleasant and convenient alternative to being jammed on 94 to the Lowry Tunnel. Downtown rocks!

Going back the OP, I enjoyed that article. The author's experience walking around Woodbury is consistent with mine...wandering around and getting lost in a twisty cul-de-sac filled labrynth where there are no sidewalks and nobody else out walking. Lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul