Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 AM

573 posts, read 1,050,251 times

Advertisements

that's because if you sleep with a women the first night in Minnesota after meeting her at a bar with her friends. bring her and her friends back to your place have sex with them and show no interest afterwords they feel stupid and claim rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
that's because if you sleep with a women the first night in Minnesota after meeting her at a bar with her friends. bring her and her friends back to your place have sex with them and show no interest afterwords they feel stupid and claim rape.
maybe you need to work on your technique

Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
The FBI AND the Justice Department both warn about comparing cities. The problem is that there is no "standard" way of reporting things. There's is this theoretical "uniform" system of reports, but cities just don't adhere to it. I wanted to make the same sort of comparisons, but then I read the warnings. I think the thing to do is look at what the law enforcement reports, maybe look at trends, and decide how uncomfortable it makes you. I think the fact is that some places call things "rape" that others don't. PLUS women get more support in some places than another. Some places make the woman's life the issue, and that will chill rape reporting. I don't think things are great here, but I resist the notion that other places that pretend to be better really are. Rape is just not a neutral sort of crime. It is the one crime where defendants uniformly claim there was consent. Imagine someone accused of armed robbery claiming it was a consensual robbery.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Thats why you dont bring a girl(s?) to YOUR place for a one night stand.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
The FBI AND the Justice Department both warn about comparing cities. The problem is that there is no "standard" way of reporting things. There's is this theoretical "uniform" system of reports, but cities just don't adhere to it. I wanted to make the same sort of comparisons, but then I read the warnings. I think the thing to do is look at what the law enforcement reports, maybe look at trends, and decide how uncomfortable it makes you. I think the fact is that some places call things "rape" that others don't. PLUS women get more support in some places than another. Some places make the woman's life the issue, and that will chill rape reporting. I don't think things are great here, but I resist the notion that other places that pretend to be better really are. Rape is just not a neutral sort of crime. It is the one crime where defendants uniformly claim there was consent. Imagine someone accused of armed robbery claiming it was a consensual robbery.
This really is the best explanation. Sexual assault varies considerably in its legal definition from state to state. What some states define as a "rape" falls under the broader definition of sexual assault in other states. In terms of compiling statistical data, some states classify any sexual assault as a rape, while others limit use of the term "rape" to its more narrow definition.

Minneapolis has long been at the forefront of support services for victims of sexual assault. It's a model which has been adopted by many jurisdictions. One of the results is that sexual assault victims here are thought to be more likely to report the crime than are victims in many other cities.

We really can't take any rape statistics as representing actual numbers. Attorney, Alan Dershowitz, has suggested that rape is both the most under-reported crime and the most over-reported crime. Factor in the political overtones associated with rape studies and statistics, and the numbers become even more distorted. All we know for sure is that sexual assault happens far too often.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Thats why you dont bring a girl(s?) to YOUR place for a one night stand.
Yea. It also isn't a good idea when you wake up SOBER, take a look at what the cat (you) dragged in and realize she now knows where you live.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,251 times
anyway. like I said its mostly bs. Minneapolis does not have that many real rapes.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
anyway. like I said its mostly bs. Minneapolis does not have that many real rapes.
I'm sure Minneapolis DOES have that many rapes, unfortunately. The issue is more whether or not other cities on the list have so few. Different places, different definitions. I think most people would consider the broader definition to more accurately represent "real rapes".

Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
When I questioned a rape in my neighborhood with my CPS, he explained it was people who knew each other, implying that there are quite a few rapes that are a relationship gone wrong, not some threat of being jumped by a stranger. Have no idea what the proportions are, but I'm guessing that the number of reported rapes between people with an existing relationship are significant. It is worth knowing because a lot of people estimate "danger" in a location by numbers of violent crimes. But if you eliminate the percentage that will not apply to you, the perception could change. Armed robberies seldom happen between people of long acquaintance, so I think that's more threatening than domestic violence or rape. Don't jump on me and suggest I dismiss rape. This is more about eliciting meaning from crime statistics. I think it is a good idea to understand the people you KNOW. The recent workplace shooting was done by a guy who had been known to his victims for a long period of time. I don't know if he was dreaded as a ticking time bomb, but he wasn't a stranger.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Looking at the Minnesota state statute 609.342 Criminal Sexual Conduct, the definitions of the first degree, specifically mention "penetration". The second through fifth degrees of Criminal Sexual Conduct are a bit broader in definition, "A person who engages in sexual contact with another person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the second degree if any of the following circumstances exists:" then there are a variety of factors listed, including age, coercion, if a weapon was used, and others. So maybe that might have something to so with the higher number mentioned in Wikipedia and by the OP.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...r#stat.609.342

This source lists all the states, so one can compare the statutes as they are now.

State Rape Laws - FindLaw

NY Times article that mentions Minnesota and the terminology they use compared to other states.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/us...g-rapidly.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul