Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,012 times

Advertisements

Howdy Folks,

Maybe you can help me find a good place to start in planning a move to MN.

I may be taking a job in downtown Minneapolis. The oddities in my life tend to be hobby requests.

Excellent income but very poor credit has me probably looking around 250k maximum. It's just my wife and I but my pre-k son visits frequently, so schools aren't a big deal, but child safe/friendly/fun is, although we are looking to have children soon as well.

We have two large dogs that I would love to give at least a quarter acre to, preferably more, and I have significant hobbies involving metal working (loud) and off road vehicles (often held as obnoxious by certain neighbors).

In other words we enjoy a somewhat redneck lifestyle, but have enough income to not want to deal with alot of the redneck issues (drugs, theft, trash everywhere).

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great!

The more snow the better, and an hour or so commute would probably be the furthest I'd want to go. I did search and rescue in Colorado and grew to love living in a place that's environmentally "tough" to live.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,114,274 times
I would say that the northern suburbs would be the best fit, Anoka, Blaine, Fridley. They are pretty blue collar suburbs and you would have easy access to some open land for your off-road adventures. If you look further north on 35 you might be able to find several acres that come in around your price range too.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Probably head north. Check out Ramsey, and that area. It will be on the upper edge of your commute range during rush hour traffic, but if you can avoid those hours, its more like 35 minutes.

*Edit: GG beat me too it.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 AM

687 posts, read 1,250,542 times
I think you would want to look further north than Fridley or Blaine. You would get more for your money and you would be less likely to annoy neighbors with loud hobbies. I'm thinking more Columbus or Ham Lake. There is a bus from Running Acres in Columbus to downtown Minneapolis that is about 40 minutes.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 11,012 times
Thank you all! any more ideas please keep it coming.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul