Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM

143 posts, read 477,715 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm contemplating taking a long weekend trip to Chicago within the next month. In the past I've driven, but having a car in Chicago is an expensive hassle-filled nightmare so I'd rather use mass-transit. I found a nice 4* hotel near O'Hare airport (at a great rate), and can take El into downtown where I plan on spending most of our time.

Has anyone taken the Amtrak from MSP to CHI? Thoughts? Should I consider round-trip on Amtrak, or perhaps take the train one way, then fly or take MegaBus the other way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,134 times
Just fly. Currently, for a random weekend in November, leaving on Friday and returning Monday (all quoted for round trip):

-Flying: $108, 1.5 hours each way.
-Amtrak: $156, 8 hours each way.
-Greyhound: $70, 12 hours each way.
-Megabus: $50, 8 hours each way.

In theory, I've always thought taking an Amtrak for a trip would be fun, but I've never found a time where the cost and travel time didn't come out hugely in favor of flying, instead.

Looks like Megabus would be the best option if you really wanted to trim costs.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Hi,

I'm contemplating taking a long weekend trip to Chicago within the next month. In the past I've driven, but having a car in Chicago is an expensive hassle-filled nightmare so I'd rather use mass-transit. I found a nice 4* hotel near O'Hare airport (at a great rate), and can take El into downtown where I plan on spending most of our time.

Has anyone taken the Amtrak from MSP to CHI? Thoughts? Should I consider round-trip on Amtrak, or perhaps take the train one way, then fly or take MegaBus the other way?
We have friends that have done both. Biggest issue with Amtrack is scheduling, usually running way behind schedule. If you don't have to be there at a specific time, it's a great option. Megabus is a lot less expensive though. Since you found a hotel near O'Hare, don't rule out flying. The few times we looked into taking the train it actually cost more than flying. I just ran a search and from Minneapolis to O'Hare flying out Nov 9, coming back the 12th, Spirit has flights for $107 round trip. Amtrak for the same dates is $158, plus over 8 hours on the train, 45 minute flight .

Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Yeah, the reason for wanting to do Amtrak is simply my being a train-enthusiast. I've driven to Chicago so many times and realized I haven't seen a lot more than the Interstate - and it's downright unenjoyable with the number of police who monitor the unreasonably-low 65 MPH limit.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Yeah, the reason for wanting to do Amtrak is simply my being a train-enthusiast. I've driven to Chicago so many times and realized I haven't seen a lot more than the Interstate - and it's downright unenjoyable with the number of police who monitor the unreasonably-low 65 MPH limit.
You're right to ponder it, I've heard the Mississippi corridor between MN and WI is breathtakingly beautiful, and I drove that route once between St. Louis and Minneapolis as a child and vaguely remember how beautiful it was. Speaking of which, a compromise between the train and the car could be taking the "scenic route" to Chicago via "The Avenue of the Saints" and split off to Chicago around Prairie Du Chien.

Don't get me started on the Wisconsin State Troopers!!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Amtrak is the way i go. Last time i drove i either encounter a rude state trooper and there i always hit traffic. Amtrak takes you right to the the loop and you don't have to worry about parking your car and you enjoy the scenery.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
My wife and I recently took the Megabus to and from Chicago over a long weekend. It cost us $32 total for 2 round trip tickets. This cost us significantly less than the gas would have cost to drive there in our compact car. I've never taken the Amtrak train there but from what I have seen, taking the Megabus is by far the most cost efficient way to get to Chicago.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
My wife and I recently took the Megabus to and from Chicago over a long weekend. It cost us $32 total for 2 round trip tickets. This cost us significantly less than the gas would have cost to drive there in our compact car. I've never taken the Amtrak train there but from what I have seen, taking the Megabus is by far the most cost efficient way to get to Chicago.
I heard it was "connected".....were you able to (or did you) use the internet at all while on the bus? That would make the trip a whole lot easier! Did it feel relatively comfortable to take the bus? Can you get dropped off somewhere in the outskirts of town, like Schaumburg or Elgin (that's where I stay when I visit family)? I know the bus doesn't stop wherever you want it to but I wasn't sure if there was one final stop before downtown.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,134 times
And now this thread has inspired me. We're supposed to get together with friends from Iowa in a couple weeks, and I'm tired of 3+ hour car drives, so I'm thinking that those $120 tickets to Chicago look pretty good, so maybe we can meet there. Thanks for the idea!

Now I just need to find a reasonably cheap hotel close to the El or Metrarail....

Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Check Hotwire.com - lots of good deals! I'm booked at $90/night at the Hilton O'Hare, right off the El line!

What appeals to me about the train vs. megabus is the feeling that I'm on a land cruise. Megabus is cheaper, for sure, but there's just something about trains....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul