Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM

375 posts, read 799,784 times

Advertisements

Target by far. They seem cleaner and more devoted to quality and service. Here in Nebraska they seem to be pretty good. Only problem is that not a lot of smaller cities have them. Other than omaha and Lincoln, I think only Grand Island, Kearney, and Norfolk have Targets. I wish they'd build some more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,968 times
Target. Okay, so maybe I'm a little biased...I used to work there (and technically am still an employee until early next year). But the stores are cleaner and the prices are about the same. Plus the Target at the Quarry in NE Minneapolis is so close! The closest Walmart is further up the road in the suburbs. Why go further for the same thing (in a much less organized format, I might add).

Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,979 times
Oh, and I should also add that I don't care for the "Super" versions of either store. Just get too big for me.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
--Which of the two retail giants do you prefer?
--What's in your community?

Is the competition between Target and Wal*Mart good for communities? How does this hurt the 'little guy'?
I shop at Target maybe once every couple of months, and Walmart 3-4 times a year.

I prefer Target for multiple reasons:

(1) It's a hometown Twin Cities store chain. I used to support Best Buy for the same reason back when I thought they actually met my needs. Target still does.
(2) Their stores tend to be cleaner, at least here in the Atlanta area.
(3) I like the "vibe" of Target. Walmart seems to be catering to a rather different crowd.

We have both here in the Atlanta metro. Walmart is closer to us, but even when we go to Walmart we tend to skip the closest one and visit the store 10 miles away because it's a cleaner store. All of the Targets around here seem to be the same ... uniformly clean, well organized, etc. Also, Target reminds me of home.

I think the competition between Target and Walmart is far better than letting either one have a monopoly in a given area, but I miss shopping at smaller stores like Pamida, etc., in smaller towns Yes, prices are lower at the giant stores, but that means their suppliers are having to cut costs, and I'm not convinced that the end result of that cost cutting is good for the country. Look at how many suppliers of those two stores are outside of the US these days.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Up here in the Grand Forks ND/MN region.... We tend to go to our SuperTarget frequently and avoid our Walmart, mainly due to many of the same things already stated (cleanliness, more organized). We shop there for household goods, some clothing...but for groceries prefer our local hometown grocery as it carries more allergy-free food which we need and has always helped us in ordering things they dont carry.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
I'm also not a very big fan of the "Supers". They are very big and can be intimidating for a young-single guy. I just go there to pick up the essentials... a little food, toiletries, and the occasional DVD or something. I guess for a family- the one-stop-shop is probably great. Too much for me though-

Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,968 times
Quote:
I'm also not a very big fan of the "Supers". They are very big and can be intimidating for a young-single guy. I just go there to pick up the essentials... a little food, toiletries, and the occasional DVD or something. I guess for a family- the one-stop-shop is probably great. Too much for me though-
I'm curious what you mean by intimidating for a young-single guy. I would be lumped in the same category (and prefer normal Targets, though I've found larger Walmarts tend to be cleaner for some reason) as a young and single male, but I don't feel intimidated by the size. Indeed, they tend to have mroe space, but much of that is devoted to grocery (sometimes a great thing...better produce and deli!) with most of the rest about the same size, just wider aisles.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
You are not the "target" demographic for Target. Their prime demographic is women 25-54. That is why they put cute pink crap at the front of the store. People like us (men) find our stuff usually at the back perimeter or buried in the middle.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I'm curious what you mean by intimidating for a young-single guy. I would be lumped in the same category (and prefer normal Targets, though I've found larger Walmarts tend to be cleaner for some reason) as a young and single male, but I don't feel intimidated by the size. Indeed, they tend to have mroe space, but much of that is devoted to grocery (sometimes a great thing...better produce and deli!) with most of the rest about the same size, just wider aisles.
It's intimidating having to walk through a mile of "HOME GOODS", womens and childrens clothing... Greeting cards... I guess not really intimidating, but more a pain in the ars.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
I shop at Target. No Walmart for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul