Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 51,981 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home in St. Paul (Como area) and am looking into setting up my garbage service. Apparently, there isn't a single provider and each household can find their own service provider.

Anybody know if there's really much of a difference between the various providers in terms of cost, convenience, or any other factors I can't think of.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Some of them start low and raise, raise, raise and you have to commit to them for a year or so. Then there are smaller companies that are more reasonable. Now that I haven't really helped you, will wait to see what others have to say.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
I have always just watched to see whatever most of my neighbors use when I move to a new place. There is usually one that a large majority use. I have never lived in the city of St. Paul though.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 51,981 times
I called 6 or 7 trash collection companies yesterday to get pricing information. I hadn't read about the long term contracts yet, so I didn't ask about those - although the customer service rep at Waste Management informed me that they did not require any contract or commitment. She was actually very helpful. I don't know if she was trying to upsell me to a larger bin, but she was saying that St. Paul is strict about paying for trash disposal by volume. If your trash bin can't close all the way or if you have to put an extra bag out, they are supposed to charge you for it. There have been some issues with people who have extra garbage putting the excess next to somebody else's bin so they get charged for it. WM allows you to specify that they won't pick up (or charge you for) extra trash outside your bin unless you call ahead and let them know. Apparently, there's somebody from the city who will come and go through the trash to try to figure out who left it there.

In any case, WM was cheaper than the other people I called (the cost of their largest bin was about the same as other's medium bins). And there's only a $5 or so difference between their smallest and largest bin.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

44 posts, read 235,070 times
Default Find a family-run contractor

Waste Management is kind of like the Wal-Mart of garbage haulers serving St. Paul. They have the most volume, the most name recognition, and they price as low as they can to out-compete the small family run businesses. That's why their prices don't change much when going with larger containers, and thats why the rep tried to make you worry about the "extra garbage" that your neighbors would try to stick you with. Honestly, I've never heard of that happening.

I use Berquist & Son, and could not be happier. They keep their pricing competitive, and their policy is that you can leave up to 2 extra bags of trash before they will charge you for extra. Same goes for Yard-waste, as long as it's only 2 bags each week, its free. If somebody ever did dump trash by your bin and you were billed extra for it, I'm sure they would adjust your bill with a simple phone call. That sure beats calling ahead all the time for pre-emptive protection against a crime that never happens.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We have had Waste Management for over a year and no price changes. In Dakota county they have single sort recycling (don't know if they have that in Ramsey county or not) but they supply a recycling can, same size as the garbage bin, on wheels. They also have a yard waste program that you can pay $75/year (I think, somewhere in that range) and you can dump unlimited amounts of yard waste. It is GREAT if you bag your lawn clippings or like us have a lot of landscaping that gets trimmed, etc. They also have a Christmas tree pick up for yard waste customers so that is handy. Oh, and the weeks where the pick up is off because of a holiday, they give you an automated call to remind you to put your trash out on the different day.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Good thread, makes me feel glad for living in Minneapolis and not having to worry about all of this garbage (pun intended).

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Good thread, makes me feel glad for living in Minneapolis and not having to worry about all of this garbage (pun intended).
Is it a city service in Minneapolis or is there just no choice of provider?

I was surprised to find out that trash collection was a city service paid by taxes when I lived in Charlotte, NC. I had always previously needed to find my own trash service and pay a bill for collection.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
One man's City Service is another man's Big Government intrusion...

Less Taxes!!

= equals =

More Bills!!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Yup, in Minneapolis it's all handled by the city and is billed as follows:

Solid Waste & Recycling - Fees and Credits
Solid Waste Base Fee
$24.00 per month per dwelling unit for collection of garbage, large items, yard trimmings and recyclables, vouchers and other services.

Recycling Credit
Your utility bill will be credited $7.00 per month per dwelling unit if you recycle. Call (612) 673-2917 to register for recycling credit.

Large Cart Disposal
$4.00 per month per large cart.

Small Cart Disposal
$2.00 per month per small cart.

We use the small cart so we pay $19.00/month + tax. So far we've had nothing but praise for this whole system, very slick.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-05-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul