Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times

Advertisements

http://www.mallofamerica.com/about/f...nsion/overview

Big changes coming around Mall of America | StarTribune.com

Even though im not the biggest fan of the MoA this looks pretty cool, and its good to see they want to do more development in the area around the mall.

Just noticed a similar thread was made a couple years ago, my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Building an ice castle there this holiday season too....weather permitting

Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,862,681 times
The picture is outdated, they aren't planning on doing that anymore, there isn't enough money. So far, the plan is to add another hotel on the front and a small amount of retail space. That's all.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Awe man!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
The picture is outdated, they aren't planning on doing that anymore, there isn't enough money. So far, the plan is to add another hotel on the front and a small amount of retail space. That's all.
The hotel is about 1/2 done already.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The hotel is about 1/2 done already.
The front. (The Radisson is on the back)

Also, there is a plan to add a small Mayo Clinic wellness center on the front. (North side)

Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Darn, I've ruined everybodys hope....

Oh well... I found out a while ago too, and I was pretty dissapointed. But, construction-wise, we get alot of dissapointments. The Nicollet for example. And I still like everyone else, I am enraged by the gateway district. I hate looking at other cities with all of the old buildings in rows, with old shops and history, and know that we used to have all of it too... but we got rid of it for parking lots and some "modern" buildings. But you guys already know that.

File:1973 block e.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this is crazy, but it wouldn't cost that much to make some revival buildings from then. We really need to build some old looking buildings. Why not build row houses again? Go back to using large amounts of stone instead of always using glass? It's unrealistic though...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM

259 posts, read 365,926 times
My wife and I love the mall in Clearwater Florida where they just added a huge IMAX theater complex and restauants that are really cool. In Tampa we have an Ikea and really love it . Recently bought a huge dresser (solid wood and no imitation wood anywhere for $299.00!) You will love Ikea products and food. We hope to eventually visit MOA as a side trip from Wisconsin. Minnesota is a dream of mine especially fishing out of Ely. Twin Cities were awesome but it was years ago sadly. We stayed at the Holidome when they offered a special while your new belt-line highway was under construction. The place was a mess at that time but not the immediate downtown.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
I don't believe the state nor the city should subsidize any more of the MOA. The "second phase" creates no long-term high-paying jobs. It's all minimum-wage retail, and Minnesota has far too much of that. If there is consumer demand for such a project, it should be financed 100% by the MOA owners. No tax breaks, no subsidies.

Free market and all that mumbo-jumbo.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I don't believe the state nor the city should subsidize any more of the MOA. The "second phase" creates no long-term high-paying jobs. It's all minimum-wage retail, and Minnesota has far too much of that. If there is consumer demand for such a project, it should be financed 100% by the MOA owners. No tax breaks, no subsidies.

Free market and all that mumbo-jumbo.
The MOA brings in a LOT of tourist money into MN. The MOA sees more visitors each year than Disneyworld. People stay in the hotels, eat at restaurants, buy things at the stores, visit museums, etc., etc. etc....it isn't only about what jobs it creates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul