Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 25,058 times

Advertisements

I've been in mpls all my life (except college years). Now in my mid-thirties with a wife and 2 kids and living in south minneapolis, we are considering a move to the 'burbs. I grew up in SW Mpls, walked to Washburn HS, first job at mr. movies, etc...and now we own a place east of 35 and are outgrowing it. Plus there isn't another neighbor kid on our block, nor the immediate blocks surrounding it. We love the lakes, pkwys, biking, proximity to everything, arts & culture (and people that like arts), but also wonder if certain suburbs might offer more "family" life, space, community, and probably most important...better schools. I've always lived in old houses with character, but am not afraid to trade that in for something newer with less maintenance, provided it is not just a cookie-cutter boring house.

Based on schools, I'm looking at Minnetonka, Edina, Shoreview, St. Anthony and Stillwater. We'd like to stay connected to friends we have around the twin cities, so Stillwater may be out with what I imagine are long long commutes. Anybody from those suburbs have input on how you are liking life in those areas? Or other areas that I should consider?

We are more on the conservative side of political opinion, but having lived in mpls all my life, I know what it is like to be in the minority. So while I value some diversity of opinions in my community, I wouldn't mind being among some like-minded folks, or at least more politically mixed or moderate communities. I am tempted to move back to sw mpls because that is what I know, but am wondering if the suburbs might not be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Where do you work? Stillwater might be a great option because of the availability of older housing stock, the river and lakes in town, walkability and great schools. You may find your friends all over will want to come see you in Stillwater. I wouldn't want to commute from there to say, Minnetonka though. The commute into downtown from Stillwater isn't bad at all. You will also have park and ride options, etc. for carpooling.

I would suggest looking at Eagan as well. I think you may find that a good option for the schools and family life you desire, but also easy access to the lakes, etc. in Minneapolis--but there are a lot of lakes/parks, etc. in Eagan as well.

Yes, you will most likely find more kids and family life in many of the suburbs but places like Edina, Bloomington, Minnetonka, Shoreview are ageing out, much like what you see now so it may be hit or miss finding kids in the neighborhoods. Part of that is because of the housing market and people that would have moved to those communities with smaller kids aren't.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the response. I work in DT mpls, but I am on contract, so that can change. That said, I love working in dt mpls. Interesting about some of those suburbs "ageing out". Which suburbs tend to be more consistently younger? Or would I have to move far far out for that? Eagan is interesting, but that is where my mom moved after re-marrying, and I'd prefer not to be that close. We visited stillwater, shoreview, vadnais heights, arden hills last weekend with the realtor, and today we venture to edina and mtka. You think commuting from stillwater is easier than minnetonka? Google maps shows 40 min to downtown for stillwater vs 18-25min to minnetonka.

Also are there any other lakes in the twin cities suburbs that have bike trails around them, as Harriet and Calhoun do?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Unless you're dead-set on a new house, why not just move west of 35W? The neighborhoods in this part of SW Minneapolis are jam-packed with kids, the schools are excellent, and you'd still be near the lakes. There are even some conservatives floating around. But, true, it's not a major change, so if you're looking for big lots and new houses (at least affordable new houses) you won't find it here.

FWIW, I've noticed that here in SW Minneapolis a LOT of people with kids (the ones who grew up in the Twin Cities, anyway) grew up in the 'burbs and then moved to SW Minneapolis when they had kids. At the same time, some of my friends (who are around the same age as you) ended up in various suburbs because while they might like to live in SW Minneapolis, it's a whole lot cheaper to move somewhere like Eagan. SW Minneapolis is excellent for families, but it comes at a price. Still, neighborhoods like Kenny and Armatage (which would put you in the zone for Anthony Middle School and Southwest for high school) are relatively affordable and have tons of kids. Property taxes are higher than what you'd pay if you cross Xerxes and land in Edina, though.

I know people in Edina and Minnetonka who have no other kids on their streets. I would not assume that any given suburb is going to have a lot of kids around. They are, as noted, often aging, although of course some of that is going to vary by specific block or neighborhood.

I have heard great things about St. Anthony for families. Location is really convenient, too (well, depending on where you work. It's fairly central, in any case.). Might not be as much culture shock as living somewhere like Minnetonka.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Have you checked out around Medicine Lake? That's a nice area. Suburban, but still convenient to downtown. Not sure how it is for families, but I do know a few people with young kids who live in the area. There's an actual Medicine Lake, MN, but it's small; most of it is, I think, technically Plymouth.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Yes, moving across 35w to be near lake harriet is very tempting, as it feels like home. At the same time, it is much more expensive for what you get there, compared to the suburbs. I do love the period of homes though in that area. And good to know about there being more families. Having a few neigbors in the suburbs that are more conservative would be nice for a change. From the way folks talk in the area neigborhood I live in, you'd swear they had never met or seen a living, breathing person who was a conservative or had voted for a republican before. I don't need to be in a homogenously repubican area, but a homogenously liberal area can be wearing, when the neighbors love to bash the latest candidates, and I feel like I am getting lumped in with that. So mostly my conversations with neighbors (whom we get along with just great) stay non-political. So starting new relationships in a less charged environment might lead to some more peaceful living. But I do tend to love the "style" of folks in minneapolis that I know, despite heavy political leanings.

Oh, no I haven't checked Medicine Lake, but I'll look into it.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsdad View Post
Also are there any other lakes in the twin cities suburbs that have bike trails around them, as Harriet and Calhoun do?
There's a pond in Blaine that has a loop all the way around it. It's something like 0.9 miles around. It is also connected to a trail system that you could go at least 2 more miles one way with ponds on one side or the other.

Pleasant Lake in North Oaks also has a trail around it that is probably longer than the trail around either Calhoun or Harriet. North Oaks might be worth looking into, although I'd guess there's not much that's affordable. There are affordable areas near North Oaks, but I don't know if you could use the trails if you don't live in North Oaks (the roads are private).

If you want a trail with some water, but doesn't go around a lake, you would have a lot more options. Long Lake Regional Park in New Brighton, Sucker Lake and Vadnais Lake in Vadnais Heights. Most of the Rice Creek parks in Lino Lakes, Arden Hills, Fridley. The Lakes and Club West in Blaine also have a bunch of trails with some of them along lakes.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsdad View Post
Thanks for the response. I work in DT mpls, but I am on contract, so that can change. That said, I love working in dt mpls. Interesting about some of those suburbs "ageing out". Which suburbs tend to be more consistently younger? Or would I have to move far far out for that? Eagan is interesting, but that is where my mom moved after re-marrying, and I'd prefer not to be that close. We visited stillwater, shoreview, vadnais heights, arden hills last weekend with the realtor, and today we venture to edina and mtka. You think commuting from stillwater is easier than minnetonka? Google maps shows 40 min to downtown for stillwater vs 18-25min to minnetonka.

I guess it depends on where in Downtown you are. I think the traffic in from Minnetonka is heavier than what is coming from Stillwater but yes, Minnetonka is closer. I would give Mahtomedi a look as well. Depending on your price range, that is a cute area with excellent schools. Mounds View schools on that side of the city are worth checking out as well, which I think parts of Shoreview fall into. New Brighton is an option as well.

As for trails along the lakes, some will some won't. I know the parks in Eagan, Lebanon hills, have paths through the woods and around parts of the lakes but they aren't paved like you find in Minneapolis, they are dirt, through the trees type paths. They do groom trails for cross country skiiing though. Is Apple Valley or Rosemount too close to Eagan for you? There are paved bike paths all over in these towns along with the bike lanes on any roads that don't have paved paths. Many of these paths travel through the wooded areas in these towns, and are pretty hilly. There is a really pretty loop that takes you around the perimeter of the MN Zoo, for example.

I think the suburbs that tend to be consistently younger are the less expensive ones. Not a lot of 30 year olds can afford a $600,000+ home in Edina or Wayzata.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I think the suburbs that tend to be consistently younger are the less expensive ones. Not a lot of 30 year olds can afford a $600,000+ home in Edina or Wayzata.
This argument is flawed by the fact that you used two extreme examples of older wealthy suburbs. Look at higher priced new suburbs like Chanhassen, Woodbury, Maple Grove and Savage and how they compare to older suburbs like Richfield, Crystal, Columbia Heights, Fridley, West St. Paul and Brooklyn Center. If you looks at the metro area as a whole I think you'd find that there isn't a strong correlation between a suburb's age and housing prices.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
This argument is flawed by the fact that you used two extreme examples of older wealthy suburbs. Look at higher priced new suburbs like Chanhassen, Woodbury, Maple Grove and Savage and how they compare to older suburbs like Richfield, Crystal, Columbia Heights, Fridley, West St. Paul and Brooklyn Center. If you looks at the metro area as a whole I think you'd find that there isn't a strong correlation between a suburb's age and housing prices.
We were not discussing the age of the suburb but the average age of the population and how many young families live in those areas, specifically Edina and Minnetonka, so your argument is flawed because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul