Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

Well, our Season is over . . . a young couple wants to rent my own little northwoods house . . . and I'm thinking of doing Winter in Mpls/St.Paul.

So, where in the Twin Cities should I find a winter home?

I'm an ordinary middle aged lady and would be uncomfortable in a "hip" or overly wealthy neighborhood. I don't want to be surrounded by a lot of late night drinking and noise. However, I'm going down to take advantage of the metropolitian lifestyle and am happy with a busy neighbood with lots of people on the streets. I have no problem with diversity in all its forms. I want to easily go to museums, galleries, plays, lectures and concerts via public transportation - I want to drive as little as possible. I want to be able to stroll with my dog around parks that aren't overused. A nearby dog park would be great! I don't want to worry at all about crime.

What's a good neighborhood for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
I'd suggest renting a place downtown near the river.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Agree -- downtown by the river (or right across from downtown by the river, too) would be perfect. You've got easy access to lots of theaters, some museums, galleries, other cultural venues like the Loft, public transportation, and -- even despite the cold -- it's still nice to walk around by the river (and my favorite, across the Stone Arch Bridge). You'd also be convenient to the university, which also has its share of events and museums. Not sure what's available for either short-term furnished rental or subletting, but there are a ton of condos in the area. No personal experience with downtown dog parks, but it's a fairly dog-friendly city. I also ran across this dog park offering for downtown dogs: Dog Grounds: Urban Off-Leash Dog Parks Could be worth looking into if you end up in downtown Minneapolis.

St. Paul has always felt much sleepier to me, but it's also worth considering. I'll leave the St. Paul neighborhood recommendations to others, but somewhere by downtown would give you easy access to a lot of nice cultural amenities. And I think St. Paul does winter better than Minneapolis -- not just the Winter Carnival, although there is that, but also little things like Rice Park and its outdoor skating rink, etc.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, our Season is over . . . a young couple wants to rent my own little northwoods house . . . and I'm thinking of doing Winter in Mpls/St.Paul.

So, where in the Twin Cities should I find a winter home?

I'm an ordinary middle aged lady and would be uncomfortable in a "hip" or overly wealthy neighborhood. I don't want to be surrounded by a lot of late night drinking and noise. However, I'm going down to take advantage of the metropolitian lifestyle and am happy with a busy neighbood with lots of people on the streets. I have no problem with diversity in all its forms. I want to easily go to museums, galleries, plays, lectures and concerts via public transportation - I want to drive as little as possible. I want to be able to stroll with my dog around parks that aren't overused. A nearby dog park would be great! I don't want to worry at all about crime.

What's a good neighborhood for me?

Thanks!
Wow, talk about high maintenance. Truth is any neighborhood in Minneapolis qualifies. Seward would qualify. All the neighborhoods adjacent to the light rail would qualify. We've had a REALLY bad summer in the First Precinct with huge numbersof armed robberies in the streets. People have rationalized every which way about how it shouldn't matter, but its a fact. They flooded the downtown streets with MPD and Hennepin County deputies to deter the people hanging out down there. Downtown is about lots of overpriced condos. Which is probably why there will be promotions. Rybak is head cheerleader, to the extent he jeered at property tax payors when they called him on his favors to the Vikings. But don't be conned by these people who bought speculative real estate investments they now desperately want to unload. There are safer neighborhoods adjacent to the lakes. Rybak owns a house in one of them. Follow his model. He tells us downtown is great but never moves there.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
My first though was Kenwood or Whittier -- but they're very different from one-another. Loring Park maybe too. None of these are "loud" or overrun with college kids out on the town, and all of them are close to museums and attractions or have them within their boundaries.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:34 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
I vote for Seward as well. There is a dog park and several bus lines that run into downtown or through Cedar-Riverside to the U. You will be near the Greenway so you can walk to the LRT (or take a bus there). There will be winter activity at Matthews and and Brackett Park because of the ice rinks, but I don't think it will be overrun for a nice stroll.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:13 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Thank you for your advice, everyone! So now I'm looking on padmapper and craigslist to see what is out there. I've stayed several times in a B&B in the Summit Ave. area of St. Paul when I've gone down to the State Historical Society. The neighborhoods west from there towards the St. Paul campus and the river and downtown Mpls looked fine by car. Are there names of neighborhoods in that area that would be good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul