Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
I think saying that burbs like Minnetonka and Maple Grove have as much culture as the city pretty much erases any credibility: that would be like me looking for someplace dense, walkable, and safe in/near NYC and someone saying Staten Island and Levittown are the places I should focus on. And that they have just as much culture as NYC.
Well maybe you have never lived in the suburbs. Born and raised in Mpls., I have lived in many parts of the metro and suburbs all my life. I don't find that "culture" trumps safety. The suburbs get an underserved bad rap. There is much vitality to the suburbs. Minneapolis and St. Paul are a small part of the overall metro area and think a bit too highly of themselves sometimes IMHO and it's time for them to see the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Twin Cities' 'burbs if that's what you like, but even the more "urban" neighborhoods like Uptown are going to feel suburban compared to many parts of NYC. And "safety" is not an issue that can be broken down by city/suburb limits; better to focus on individual neighborhoods, whether one is talking about safety, schools, walkability, commute time, or any other consideration.

ETA: reread some of the thread, and think that this couple would be absolutely MISERABLE living in Maple Grove, Plymouth, or Minnetonka. I doubt they'd like Edina. Even most of SW Minneapolis would be pushing it. I have no idea why anyone would be suggesting that this couple -- who says that suburban is not their style -- would be making such suggestions. That's not a knock against those places; clearly many people love them. But it would be an absolutely terrible fit for this family. Sort of like telling someone who detests winter that they would absolutely love Alaska. (not a matter of "culture," however -- the suburbs do have "culture." It's more a factor of the built environment and the autocentric nature of so much of this metro area.)

I'll echo the CARAG suggestion. I think Seward would work well, too, but CARAG is still my favorite. A nice blend of apartments (not high rises, however) and single family houses, nice place for families, good public transportation, very walkable. It's one of my favorite Uptown neighborhoods. The Wedge or East Isles would feel more urban, however, although also have (I think) fewer kids. East Isles has an older, professional (and wealthy) vibe, same thing with most of ECCO; the Wedge feels younger, with a bunch of aging boomers in the houses. CARAG houses are coparatively cheaper, so I think that may be why there are more families with younger kids living there. (of course with that rental budget you can afford any of those areas)

Kingfield could be a nice in-between option. Very active neighborhood organization, lots of neighbors who really like to be able to walk places (and like to support local businesses), decent public transportation to downtown, nice for families. A bit too quiet for my tastes, but I'm still very impressed with the neighborhood. It's a neighborhood with vision. And home to a very nice farmer's market!

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-19-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Well maybe you have never lived in the suburbs. Born and raised in Mpls., I have lived in many parts of the metro and suburbs all my life. I don't find that "culture" trumps safety. The suburbs get an underserved bad rap. There is much vitality to the suburbs. Minneapolis and St. Paul are a small part of the overall metro area and think a bit too highly of themselves sometimes IMHO and it's time for them to see the light.
I have lived in the suburbs and the city, but neither is necessary to see that you present a false dichotomy of safety vs. culture. It is possible to live in the city and have both, and it is possible to live in the city and have a measure of both. The suburbs can be, as you say, vital but what goes on there in terms of cultural activities is quite different than what goes on in the city. It's clear from your post that you have an axe to grind with the city, as we think to highly of ourselves, but to cite the Plymouth Playhouse as a cultural center is a bit of a joke.
http://plymouthplayhouse.com/theatre-tickets/shows/

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
I think you are reading way too much into my preference. I do think the city is crime ridden and the suburbs are safer. But I have the right to my opinion and I would like the newcomer OP to know it if you don't mind Glenfield, actually whether you like it or not. There are twice as many people living in the suburbs as in Minneapolis and St. Paul combined. I really feel that this is actually one big metro area, and am not partial to the city anymore after having grown up in it. Sorry if that offends you.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM

329 posts, read 459,813 times
Can't we we all just get along?

Well, I guess it's kind of nice to see people fighting over recommendations for a newcomer though, that's how strong the love is here. And yes, we're all entitled to live where we want to live. I am not sure if it was this discussion or another, but someone mentioned that you really do have to take your time and decide very carefully which neighborhood that you live in, because there are so many of them in the Twin Cities area, and they can be very very different from one another. You drive from one neighborhood to another and it's like a different world, so choose wisely and be happy!

We haven't heard from the Original Poster in a while, does that answer some of your questions? If not, give us even more detail about what kind of neighborhood you'd like, and we can start the discussions again.....You'll definitely get strong opinons here, and people can be very loyal, defensive and intense about where they live. We've been here a couple of years and I am still deciding where to live- too many choices....

Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 27,078 times
Wow. Everyone is definitely passionate about their recommendations.. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am definitely going to check out the Uptown area and Seward. Also, the Lakes area seems nice from what I've seen online. We have heard of Maple Grove and Plymouth. These areas look really nice, but just a little too suburban for us.
Thanks again all!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,344 times
Hey Weis......I'm from Jersey (Hackensack) as well, and my brother works/lives in Jersey City. My recommendation for you is to live in downtown Minneapolis and rent there for one year before you really settle down. I have a feeling that you will think all of the areas outside of downtown will be too suburban feeling. The best thing for you is play it safe, rent in downtown and explore different areas after the lease is up. Best of luck. Its a GREAT area.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I am not qualified to determine whether you should pick a suburban location over a Minneapolis downtown or outlying neighborhood. If you will be here in April, you may have already decided. BTW, there are passionate defenders of both. They are not fanatical, though, but just showing strong pride in where they live. I doubt that Kayekaye would refuse a free ticket to a Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves game or Guthrie Theater performance. I also doubt that Glenfield would refuse a free ticket to the Plymouth Playhouse or the Chanhassen dinner theaters. They can correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, you may want to consider buying a Twins ticket for their July 4 game. I was checking baseball schedules and their opponent that day will be none other than the New York Yankees (game starts at 2:10 PM). I am sure this ticket will sell out fast so doubt you could get one on game day...purchase it ahead of time. Almost everyone loves Target Field.

Then there will be a very easy opportunity to see a fireworks show later. There is one on the Mississippi..I want to say Nicollet Island specifically. I know you are from NYC (Yankees territory) and even if baseball is not your first love sports-wise, that would be a very special first 4th of July in Minnesota. You should have most of your boxes unpacked by then! Good luck!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I just checked another version of the schedule that says that Twins/Yankees July 4 game starts at 1:10 (not 2:10). I would hate for you to arrive an hour late on my account if you decide to go! If you are a sports fan, you are moving to an area that has all the major sports represented. Cultural venues are extremely impressive too as you probably gathered already (not at NYC level except Guthrie which easily is... but then no other USA city is either).

Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,435 times
As you are moving from a highly populated city that is "busy" 24 hrs/day, I would recommend either downtown or uptown to rent as that will be more familiar to your tastes. Take out a 6 month or year long lease and then explore where you want to settle. That way you will have time to make decisions re future school for the bub, etc as you may decide that you will want become a "suburb family" one day. Good luck with the move and the baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul