Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,373,462 times

Advertisements

I know we residents aren't this delusional. So what gives? This was clearly a waste of money during trying times. I don't see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,139,972 times
Some ppl support education I guess.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,803,790 times
Yeah, I can't believe the voters in St. Paul would support something so unimportant and wasteful as education... IDIOTS! Clearly there's a gap in local education if voters are stupid enough to support something like this...oh wait...never mind I guess.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM

136 posts, read 326,307 times
The referendum was mostly a renewal of funds - not asking for addtional funds. 75% of the referendum was a renewal, so if it hadn't passed then that would have been a very serious setback for many schools. It would have meant many teacher layoffs and greater numbers of students in the classrooms. Also, most of the ECFE budget is in the renewal part of the referendum. ECFE's budget would have been gutted, and as a St. Paul resident in our family's 9th year of ECFE this would have been very hard for me and the hundreds of other ECFE families to bear. I am grateful that most St. Paul residents recognized the importance of the referendum!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM

988 posts, read 1,820,056 times
I wasn't following this issue and really don't have a dog in that race, but my hope would be that St. Paul voters (and all voters, for that matter), not simply blindly vote for a tax continuation/increase simply because the district pleads poverty and/or "won't someone PLEASE think of the children!?" Critical questions should be asked as to how the money is being spent and if there were better ways to spend money, as opposed to a simplistic rationale of "oh, it's for 'education' so blindly throwing money into the hole simply must be good no matter what".

That said, the voters of St. Paul made their decision and, as one politician has mentioned - "elections have consequences". May those consequences be ones the City of St. Paul and its citizens can live with...

Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM

321 posts, read 857,799 times
Why do we need an extra tax in addition to the normal taxes to fund what sounds like is basic essential school services? shouldn't that be part of normal taxes? If we quit wasting so much money on unnecessary things like the military, this wouldn't be a problem. They're simply disguising a tax increase as something they expect voters to want. And they were right. The voters went for it. I voted no.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,015,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Why do we need an extra tax in addition to the normal taxes to fund what sounds like is basic essential school services? shouldn't that be part of normal taxes? If we quit wasting so much money on unnecessary things like the military, this wouldn't be a problem. They're simply disguising a tax increase as something they expect voters to want. And they were right. The voters went for it. I voted no.
I'm confused...you think the money they wanted was for basic/essential services and that the military hogs up too much money. So you voted against the measure? Doesn't that seem...silly? If my problem was that the military hogs too many resources, I'd be going after them rather than voting down a school levy.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 25,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I'm confused...you think the money they wanted was for basic/essential services and that the military hogs up too much money. So you voted against the measure? Doesn't that seem...silly? If my problem was that the military hogs too many resources, I'd be going after them rather than voting down a school levy.
I'm as confused as you are as well. Same with the ones who voted, "yes" to the marriage amendment because they believed in, "Freedom!"

Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,434,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Military funding is from the federal budget, school funding is from the local/state budget.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM

988 posts, read 1,820,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Military funding is from the federal budget, school funding is from the local/state budget.
Obviously correct, and aside from that point some might find the military useful to have around should a foreign army start landing on our shores uninvited. It also so happens to actually have some Constitutional authority to exist as a legitimate function of government.

That said, my primary hope is people are actually critically thinking about what is a legitimate expense of local government/school district. It is all too easy to demogogue on the issue and say things like "if you don't vote for more taxes, it means you hate children, schools, and their future - you want to entrench people into poverty!"

Education is good and important, but that doesn't mean school districts get a free pass on watching the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul