Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Park yourself close to a city lake park, like Lake Calhoun or Lake Harriet. That'd limit you to Uptown or SW Minneapolis (possibly S Minneapolis with Lake Nakomis) but I think it's totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
The traffic is much more aggressive on 90 than anywhere around here.

If you like Rochester, you will love it here. The Grand Ave area mentioned above is similar to the Park Ave area in terms of a very walkable area with plenty of shops and restaurants. Summit Ave is similar to Park Ave in that you can find mansions converted into apartments.

It's colder here than Rochester in the winter but with much less snow and way, way, way sunnier.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad9 View Post
I am looking for some good advice on moving to MSP and where to live. I am going to be working in the Maplewood area but interested in Urban living vs. Suburban and many have suggested Minneapolis and making the commute. I am a young professional (will be 24 this year), single, and know only a few people in the entire state of Minnesota. I will most likely be renting and willing to spend around $1000-1200 a month probably a 1 bed/1bath. I am looking for an area where I can be active, has lots of other young people, bars, restaurants etc. I will be relocating all the way from Western New York so it will be a big change for me. If anyone can offer good neighborhoods, thoughts on commute etc. I would appreciate it!
Lowertown has upped the ante. Like others have said though it would be nice to know what part of Maplewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The six 24 year olds that live in Minnesota currently would suggest the Grand Ave. are of St. Paul if you are working in Maplewood. The 23 other people in Minnesota would also suggest that but want to know which side of Maplewood you will be in. .

There are 3 million people in the Twin Cities metro area, just an FYI so you aren't shocked when you start driving to look for apartments.
Grand is also a nice area. The bulk of the colleges (we have the second most per capita in the country) are sort of in that area.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 6,727 times
dravogadro, didn't think I'd find someone with knowledge of Roc, Park Ave area is exactly what I am looking for, I love the character, restaurants etc of that area. Many people have recommended Uptown but I will now have to take a look at Grand. How do you think the commute to Maplewood would be?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM

I think it would be better than coming from the other side of Minneapolis. I would rather hit one snarl going through DT St Paul than snarling through DT Mpls, U of M traffic and then still having to deal with DT St Paul.

I haven't hung out in Lowertown in a while but it sounds like it might be a good spot to check out. The commute would be shorter too which is nice.

Uptown is too Alexander St/bar scene for me, which is a bit of an unfair generalization because there are plenty of tasty spots to check out in the area.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM

174 posts, read 470,425 times
I'm from Syracuse. If you are looking for urban/walkbale go with any of the st paul neighborhoods south of 94. I liked cathedral hill, grand ave, mac-goveland, merriam park. NE mInneapolis would be decent too, but your commute from St Paul would be preferable.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Okay I think I am going to end up in Lowertown in St. Paul, it seems like a really neat, up and coming area. It has a "city feel" but it's not to big a provides a nice short commute to Maplewood. My next question is internet/cable providers I know Comcast is the big one right? I wanted to get Verizon but of course they don't provide in this area. I don't need a phone so that is negligible.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad9 View Post
Okay I think I am going to end up in Lowertown in St. Paul, it seems like a really neat, up and coming area. It has a "city feel" but it's not to big a provides a nice short commute to Maplewood. My next question is internet/cable providers I know Comcast is the big one right? I wanted to get Verizon but of course they don't provide in this area. I don't need a phone so that is negligible.
Check Lowertown out first, make sure you like it.

I live on the East Side of town, which is basically Maplewood, and I can say there are parts of Maplewood that are great - right next to the city.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Been to Lowertown a few times now and I love it so far!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM

A lot of people complain about Comcast but I have not yet had something go wrong...so I haven't tested their 'customer service'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul