Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times

Advertisements

I think there is more malice involved, but the point about immigrants is very true. The Met Council did a pretty comprehensive study. Peter Bell is generally a regressive a#$, but I think he is more capable of counting people than Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
St. Paul's population is decreasing because St. Paul is boring. Seriously! Tumbleweeds start blowing throw downtown at what, 5 pm? If it wasn't for the Turf Club, Big V's, Xcel Center, and museums St. Paul might as well be a rural town out in the middle of nowhere-because despite it's size, that is exactly how it feels. At least to me it does.

Seriously, though, I guess that it is easier for people to take the chicken route and escape-hoping to find better living elsewhere-instead of standing up and building communities, which like an oxy-moron, is one of St. Paul's strengths.
You may be onto something here. I've lived here about 11 years, so I'm not blinded by some kind of native mentality. I think I can judge the city more objectively.

The competition between Minneapolis and St Paul is idiotic and destructive. We are one city, not two. And that is what a lot of people around here have failed to grasp. Luckily Chris Coleman senses this and works with Rybak (although I haven't heard much about any joint projects lately).

The city could be much stronger if resources weren't divided between two major urban cores. Why do we need two police depts? Fire depts? Why two mayors and two city councils? School districts? WHY DO WE NEED TWO DOWNTOWNS?

The list goes on and on. But I think a lot of the gridlock in getting things done here is that St Paul tries to "compete" with Minneapolis and it simply cannot. Someone could write a PhD thesis on how the Twin Cities has missed opportunities because it's divided right down the middle.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The Met Council believes the city to be nearing 400,000. Mpls. is growing. (The Census Bureau doesn't know S***. They have miscalculated Saint Louis a couple censuses running. The City of St. L. calculates their own numbers simultaneously and contests the bureau the day after the census is released) Saint Paul is statistically stagnant. It grows a few thousand, then falls a few thousand. It is down by about 50,000 from its population height, but isn't actively declining. The inner suburbs are the same way. An old elderly couple will move out of the family home, and a single person will move in. That isn't bad, or a sign of something malicious. There are reasons that the two core cities are down from their height, and it isn't urban prairies or burned out houses. There are simply smaller families. It is a healthier city today than it was in 1960. Also, Northern cities don't annex. If Mpls. was in the south, it would include half of Hennepin County and have a population of 850,000.
Minnehaha, you're on to something. I have seen maps of MPLS and St. Paul. I don't see much of any annexation. For a while Atlanta had a shrinking population, but now it's going back up. Atlanta might have over 500,000 residents by 2010. With that said, that isn't the case for all northern cities. I wonder how Indy and Columbus do not have shrinking populations. They aren't bad areas, but I think there could have been some annexation according to some people. I just hope more persons have the idea to move to MPLS and St. Paul for work and a place to live(and not for welfare). The Twin Cities have something special rare in many northern cities. It isn't a Rust Belt city and it can be one of the greats. Lots of lakes. Your username coming from Lake Minnehaha.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I think there is more malice involved, but the point about immigrants is very true. The Met Council did a pretty comprehensive study. Peter Bell is generally a regressive a#$, but I think he is more capable of counting people than Washington.

There is a point of immigration. Perhaps the population of both cities hasn't shrank as quickly as I thought. That is a population count of persons who fill out the census. There might be more people in the Twin Cities than previously thought. I'm just looking at the statistics. I am not saying immigrants don't fill out the census. I just susepct that the largest group of persons who don't fill out the census are immigrants. There is also a transient population coming from other American cities who leave before any estimation, or persons who go to MPLS-St.Paul and never get counted in the census(many who are American citizens from other American cities).

Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Actually, according to what I heard from the Capitol River Council (District 17-downtown SP) St. Paul is just leveling off after 4 years of growth starting in 02. The population still isn't huge (estimated somewhere around 15,000) but it is definitely there. I can attest to that as being one of them for the past 3 years.

As to safety...there is a transient population and I don't know that I'd want my wife walking around in the middle of the night like I do but I have never felt uncomfortable.

All in all if you work in downtown its a great way to cut back on bills. My wife and I have easily lived on one car for the family saving us thousands of dollars every year in gas/insurance/maint/loans. Very little free or cheap parking which is a drag but only have to cross the river to DT Minneapolis to see those rates and come home feeling grateful.

Now if the Penfield building could really sign on Lunds to put a grocery store in once the building is complete/ The City would put the money into building Fitzgerald Park/ and the DOT would figure out (after twenty years) how to get light rail into Saint Paul...we could REALLY start growing!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Globe199-

I think that the fact that they are in separate counties has a lot to do with it.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Enough about which county is which. Whenever I see a considerable decrease in population, it looks like a bad sign. MPLS-St.Paul aren't that bad.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Because people want to move farther and farther away, so they can develop and destroy more land, so they can drive farther to work, polluting the air and whining about their commute while growing fatter and fatter cuz they don't do anything else. I think the population in Minneapolis is increasing and I am pretty sure that St. Pauls population showed an increase of about 15,000 in the last census.
I know this is an old post but I think this thread is still relevant, and I certainly agree with the first sentence. I know people who live in places like Lakeville and drive to work in Coon Rapids. I also know people who live in St. Louis Park and work in St. Paul. And I know people who make commutes that are about the commutes I mentioned. It is ridiculous to say the least. I could understand if these people had gotten the jobs after moving there. But most of these people I know who make these long commute got a job in Maple Grove but then decided to move to Hastings (for example). None of that is practical. And yes, later on they complain about gas and commutes and traffic like a bunch of fools. Sorry, but that's just plain dumb.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,799 times
Many people fail to realize that the actualy land area of Mpls/STP combined is comparable to many large cities, as well as populations. With 100 square miles, and a pop. of 700,000, it is no different than one large city. Also the entire metro = 3.5 million people.

MSP is odd in that the land areas of the central cities is quite small compared to the entire metro. Some metros have the inner city being LARGE land areas, but almost NO suburbs. Like Las Vegas

Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Many people fail to realize that the actualy land area of Mpls/STP combined is comparable to many large cities, as well as populations. With 100 square miles, and a pop. of 700,000, it is no different than one large city. Also the entire metro = 3.5 million people.

MSP is odd in that the land areas of the central cities is quite small compared to the entire metro. Some metros have the inner city being LARGE land areas, but almost NO suburbs. Like Las Vegas
That would make sense. I just thought the a decrease in population often meant either jobs were scarce or something else was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul