Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
When I used to bike to class at the U every day (or at least until the snow fell and the bus looked like a more comfy option ), pretty much everyone in our long procession of bikes followed all of the standard rules.
Okay, I am sorry but . I think the U is the worst place to ride a bike....not only are the cyclists clueless but so are the pedestrians and operators of motorized vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Okay, I am sorry but . I think the U is the worst place to ride a bike....not only are the cyclists clueless but so are the pedestrians and operators of motorized vehicles.
In an area filled with people who have to bike, you'll certainly get your share of clueless bikers (and pedestrians and drivers), but an overwhelming majority of students are self-interested in not being killed by drivers. I'm always surprised at how well many students can handle the rules of the road.

The bigger issue around the U is that it's very congested in general.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM

12 posts, read 20,716 times
It seems that this question has snowballed into a larger topic..

Thanks for the feedback. I understand some of the reasoning. An unkept bike path and slow speed limit make sense as to why some choose to take the road instead of the path. Something I have to get used to I guess.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM

143 posts, read 477,806 times
But what about in the suburbs? Shoreview has many bike trails along aside main roads where the speed limit is 45+. Why put yourself in dangers way on local arterial roads?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
I seldom ride in Shoreview but I can speak from other suburban riding experiences. My example will be the path that parallels Pilot Knob Road.

Intersections are where the highest probability is for getting into a crash on a bicycle. Being on the path (or glorified sidewalk) forces you to cross these intersections in a place where drivers aren't looking for you. I have had people not stop for me when I am walking through a crosswalk so I doubt they will see me when I am going more than 10mph. Even if a driver looks, by the time the car is making the turn, I may have arrived at the intersection, probably scaring the bejezus out of the driver.

Now if you ride at slower speeds, sure, take the path. I do when I am going 10mph or so. But if I am pushing 15-20mph, I am going to keep slamming on my brakes because I have to make sure that 1) no one is turning into me at these intersections 2) I don't wipe out because, generally, the interface between the road and the sidewalk is typically in terrible shape.

If I am in the road, someone likely has plenty of room to pass me and we both see each other and it is all good. I mean, it's the suburbs, aren't all the lanes 20 ft wide??

Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
I don't know what world you live in, but my 78-year-old grandpa still has a bike and can use it. People in other countries who are very old can bike.

I guess I don't really see what your point is. We're not supposed to bike because our population is aging and it snows and some people are physically disabled?
I live in your world, MN. Very funny. I will try to explain it to you again. No I didn't say you were not suppose to bike, I said, SOME people are not able to bike for various reasons and the attitudes of SOME bikers are very self righteous, cars are evil, bikes are holy. I don't agree with that. To think that way is very childish, and not possible for SOME people. I'm very glad your aging grandparent is still biking, but not all people can do that, he is very simply one of the few. Where are your stats concerning other countries aged bike riding population to support your statement. It would appear that those who do bike in other countries do so primarily because of economics, most don't own cars and have the infrastructure to support car usage. I hope this clarifies things for you.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I live in your world, MN. Very funny. I will try to explain it to you again. No I didn't say you were not suppose to bike, I said, SOME people are not able to bike for various reasons and the attitudes of SOME bikers are very self righteous, cars are evil, bikes are holy. I don't agree with that. To think that way is very childish, and not possible for SOME people. I'm very glad your aging grandparent is still biking, but not all people can do that, he is very simply one of the few. Where are your stats concerning other countries aged bike riding population to support your statement. It would appear that those who do bike in other countries do so primarily because of economics, most don't own cars and have the infrastructure to support car usage. I hope this clarifies things for you.
What countries are you referring to? I'm admittedly most familiar with European countries, but they have excellent roads and infrastructure, have wealthy citizens, and many people still also own cars. Check out Copenhagen, for example. (including this interesting article, complete with interview with an 83 year old biker: http://www.npr.org/2012/09/01/160386...s-for-cyclists)

I guess I'm still missing the point; not all people can bike, for various reasons. I think we all acknowledge that fact. But not everyone can drive (including many people as they grow older) for various reasons. That's why it's so important that our transportation system be designed to accommodate multiple transportation modes. There's no reason that cars and bikes can't peacefully coexist within the same society.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 12-18-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
This post doesn't clarify anything because it still doesn't get at what your point is. I understand not everyone can bike (but let's be serious...many seniors are still able to get on a bike...not everyone is a cripple once they hit 55). I also understand that some bikers think cars are the worst thing ever (I'll add that many drivers think cars are holy and bikes are pure evil).

But what exactly is the point of saying this? Should we not be investing in bike infrastructure simply because older people cannot bike? Or because there are some bikers who think they're better than cars we should outlaw bikes? Nobody will force you (or grandma!) onto two wheels simply because the infrastructure is there. I certainly am not forced into a wheelchair and using the ramp just because the Americans with Disabilities Act mandates accessibility.

Many countries bike by choice, not because they're poor. As UU pointed out, Copenhagen has an enormous amount of bikers: 58 percent use a bike daily for short trips and 37 percent commute to work daily. Only about 29 percent of them own a car. Of course, gas and general automobile taxes are higher in Europe, but considering the fact that Denmark has the 8th highest GDP per capita (that beats the US) and 20th highest GDP in purchasing power (not far below the US), it's certainly not for lack of money. An article I found (http://www.slate.com/articles/health...nmark_has.html) reported on a survey where over half of bikers do it because it's the quickest and easiest way to get around.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Many countries bike by choice, not because they're poor. As UU pointed out, Copenhagen has an enormous amount of bikers: 58 percent use a bike daily for short trips and 37 percent commute to work daily. Only about 29 percent of them own a car. Of course, gas and general automobile taxes are higher in Europe, but considering the fact that Denmark has the 8th highest GDP per capita (that beats the US) and 20th highest GDP in purchasing power (not far below the US), it's certainly not for lack of money. An article I found (Green wave: Can the U.S. embrace biking the way Denmark has? - Slate Magazine) reported on a survey where over half of bikers do it because it's the quickest and easiest way to get around.
Most European cities are much older and denser than US cities, being designed and built at a time when the automobile did not yet exist. It makes sense that people can bike in areas where more locations are available within a short distance.

The Twin Cities metro is one of the most bike-friendly metros in the US. Try biking down here sometime.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Most European cities are much older and denser than US cities, being designed and built at a time when the automobile did not yet exist. It makes sense that people can bike in areas where more locations are available within a short distance.

The Twin Cities metro is one of the most bike-friendly metros in the US. Try biking down here sometime.
While many cities in Europe are more dense, I saw plenty when I visited that really didn't look much different from American cities.

My point had little to do with how close things are (plenty of cities, including Minneapolis, have areas where everything is close by) and more about the fact that there are places in Europe where people ride their bikes a lot. Kayekaye suggested in the last post that this was because it was a poor country (I assume we're thinking China, especially pre-1990s?), but Europe is incredibly wealthy. People bike not because they have to, but because they can. And that includes the young and old...so we can't say that there are too many Americans who can't because of their age. Some people will never be able to bike, so will be biking until they're in their 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul