Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times

Advertisements

9 worst urban planning moves in Twin Cities history | MinnPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 AM

94 posts, read 160,106 times
Interesting list! I disagree with Hiawatha Line and Skywalks being one of the biggest urban mistakes because with MN's climate, they are wonderful to use during winters.

I enjoyed using Hiawatha Line between MSP Airport, Mall of America, and Downtown MPLS during my visits. Trust me, you do not want the light rail to be in the middle; it's better the way it is right now. Melbourne, Australia has rail in the middle; it took forever that I had to get off to use the bus.

I don't know about others on the list because I have never lived in the Twin Cities.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Interesting list! I disagree with Hiawatha Line and Skywalks being one of the biggest urban mistakes because with MN's climate, they are wonderful to use during winters.

I enjoyed using Hiawatha Line between MSP Airport, Mall of America, and Downtown MPLS during my visits. Trust me, you do not want the light rail to be in the middle; it's better the way it is right now. Melbourne, Australia has rail in the middle; it took forever that I had to get off to use the bus.

I don't know about others on the list because I have never lived in the Twin Cities.
The argument with both of those is not that they are bad in general, but that they weren't done as well as they could have been. Although I tend to agree that putting the Hiawatha line in the middle of the street wouldn't have been terribly useful. The east side of the street is already fairly filled up with light industry, shipping, etc. That side (in fact, neither side) was destined to turn into miles of walkable boutique retail stores anyways.

The author's comments on the skyway are pretty spot-on, though. Its an awesome network, and there's lots of cool stuff up there, but its pretty bewildering if you aren't already familiar with it. Its not obvious at all how to get into the skyway from the street, and once you do get there, it is hard to keep track of where you are and get to what you want. Really, a heavy infusion of signage both at street-level ("This way to the skyway -->") and in the skyway (lots and lots of directories and maps) would improve it.

Everytime I go up there, I'm struck by how much of second world is up there, that you wouldn't know what there from the street. I think they should take a cue from the state fair and put out a cell-phone app to help you get around.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Definitely an interesting list though, some historical things I wasn't aware of.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The secret/confusing nature of the skyway system is actually what I like most about it -- I think it adds a little sense of adventure -- but agree that better signage would make a huge difference. Someone developed an easy-to-read map that looks like a subway map (coded different "lines" different colors, marked "transfer points", etc.) -- can't find a link right now, but it should be embraced and used!

I still can't believe what they did to Block E. I felt it was clear from the start that the current monstrosity was going to be a failure. I don't think most people are surprised. I doubt it's salvageable. Perhaps one day someone will finally build something there that works.

I agree with the author that it would be better to have LRT in the middle of Hiawatha.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Light rail being on the side really is a bit confusing if they were hoping for development. So much of the line is wedged between Hiawatha and a sound-barrier wall with houses on the other side. Where exactly should development go? At least if it had been run down the middle they could have redone Hiawatha with a more boulevard/tree-lined feel, reconstructed the actual roadway, added sidewalks, and encouraged growth throughout. I think unless something major is done with Hiawatha, the only growth-potential spots are the northern part of the line (north of Lake Street Station) and perhaps where the line meanders off Hiawatha and transfers over to Minnehaha Avenue (though it's a bit between stations, which could be an issue).

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 AM

And the follow-up (best moves):
7 best planning moves in Twin Cities history | MinnPost

Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
I was a bit unimpressed with the best-of list. I thought it missed a lot. Really no mention of projects like the Greenway, the focus on making us a bike-friendly city (and metro), the revitalization/growth of any Minneapolis neighborhoods (except brief mentions in the Stone Arch Bridge listing), etc.

My list is pretty much entirely Minneapolis-based, but that's going off of where I live and what I know. I just thought there was a more "spot-on" approach to the worst list, which is disappointing (and I'm sure there are plenty of gripes for both lists from people elsewhere as well).

Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM

yeah, I was surprised the Greenway didn't make the list, yet Grand Avenue did.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
They missed the idea to cut Nicollet Ave in half by putting in the K-Mart on Lake St., something the city is trying very hard to undo. Their idea of putting the light rail in the middle of Hwy 55 is a wacky one. Hiawatha is way too busy for that to be safe and that would have been one big mess of construction for a long time. Now, if they wanted to criticize the light rail, they might have mentioned the lack of park n rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul