Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Again, if you never lived in normal city like LA, Miami, York, London, Berlin, Barcelona, Zurich you will never understand me. I don't want to offend anyone, but also I want to inform people, protect from mistake.
Large international cities tend to have things not found in smaller cities; that is a fact of life. If folks are stupid enough to expect LA or London when they move to the Twin Cities, they deserve what they get for not doing basic research before moving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM

80 posts, read 236,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
Yes, MN place for plants, because it is in the middle of nowhere. Nothing going on here. Where you can go? To Chicago? And where also? In Iowa on the cornfield? In North Dacota? .

it's not true that there is nothing going on. But very true that there is nothing else close to go to. The first big city is chicago, which is still far for a day trip.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 56,538 times
We've lived here for 2 years and would agree that the people are nice on the outside, but are hard to get to know. They can keep you at a distance. Even in the churches!

It's way too cold here and I am originally from PA! Taxes are high!

I am hoping to leave soon. My husband is interviewing for a new position to take us back to the East coast. I don't think that there is much to do here unless you love the outdoors.

I do love the blue skies and sunsets here in the summer!!

I will say that MN does have a healthy mindset. They are always exercising!!

I have found it to be a lonely place.

Biblegal

Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
I couldn't concur more with the previous poster.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,924 times
I have lived in Boston (and suburbs), San Francisco, and Los Angeles (for 11 years). Everything about MSP I read before moving was all positive. People here are very hard to get to know. But also, there is not the big city culture here like in other cities. For some reason, people-and companies-here are very cheap. The companies I have worked for have old, outdated equipment and supplies. People get excited when there's a sale, a dollar store, or an all you can eat buffet. They wont buy things unless on sale-and it's not just the economy. People here aren't interested in quality-they all drive American cars, and eat at Applebee's. The food scene here is awful. Lots of people married by the time they're in their 20's. I don't hunt, or fish, I don't watch football or hockey, and I don't like bland, overcooked food. There is no place for me here. I can't wait to get out, and moving here was a big mistake.

Last edited by winthrop62; 02-24-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 PM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winthrop62 View Post
I have lived in Boston (and suburbs), San Francisco, and Los Angeles (for 11 years). Everything about MSP I read before moving was all positive. People here are very hard to get to know. But also, there is not the big city culture here like in other cities. For some reason, people-and companies-here are very cheap. The companies I have worked for have old, outdated equipment and supplies. People get excited when there's a sale, a dollar store, or an all you can eat buffet. They wont buy things unless on sale-and it's not just the economy. People here aren't interested in quality-they all drive American cars, and eat at Applebee's. The food scene here is awful. Lots of people married by the time they're in their 20's. I don't hunt, or fish, I don't watch football or hockey, and I don't like bland, overcooked food. There is no place for me here. I can't wait to get out, and moving here was a big mistake.
Well said.....

Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 8,924 times
...and I almost forgot-everyone smells like cigarettes, and no one swears, or is even sarcastic. How boring.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM

80 posts, read 236,977 times
Quote:
there are plenty of restaurants from all over the world. you say you don't like bland food. When you cook for yourself you can make things as spicy as you want. Maybe you just don't know how to cook. Everybody drives american cars, really? More than half of the people I know drive Japs. They get married early, I agree on that. Here it's for the outdoors, but that's not just hunting or fishing. Very true that people are hard to get to know. They just say "let's catch up sometime" but then never follow up with that.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
...and I almost forgot-everyone smells like cigarettes, and no one swears, or is even sarcastic. How boring.
Where in MN do you live?

I don't even know anyone who smokes up there anymore...

Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biblegal View Post
I have found it to be a lonely place.
I've been here over 12 years and I must admit, I agree with you on this. But I don't think it's unique to MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul