Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 29,994 times

Advertisements

We are moving in the end of Dec... to Cincinnati... we love it here in MN BUT, it is very expensive to live here.. we moved here from MI about three years ago,,, I love it here but it is expensive....you can compare cities by googling SPERLINGS BEST PLACES... this has erally helped us..... good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I have lived in Minnesota for 4 years and was raised in Indiana. I love it here. I think Minnesota is far better than Indiana in many respects. Now mind you I've also lived in 11 other states and Europe and for me personally I have found Minnesota to be refreshing. I love the cold weather and overall climate. The people, while definitely Minnesota Nice, it is tough to find friends that haven't lived here all their lives. But truly that is almost anyplace you go. When we lived in Portland, Oregon we found the exact same thing...people who lived there forever and were not welcoming. It simply exists everywhere.

Now with all that said the only reason I would move from Minnesota is the outrageous housing costs and overally cost of living is expensive.
That is one of the most intelligent statements I have heard so far. As a 21 year-old currently living in GA, I see the same thing. I moved to a suburb outside of Atlanta and many of the kids lived in that one place their whole lives as did their parents. It shocked me because I have lived in so many places. I did see a standoffishness when I first moved in because I was the new kid(not to mention the only black kid in the class). The only differences I notice between GA and MN is that in GA, people tend to be(and this isn't always everybody) more outgoing in their mannerisms. One can have alot of acquaintances but few close friends. I do have friends here. How I met them was through time and the fact that the suburb I moved to was changing so fast that alot of locals had to adjust.
MN has a certain reserve and just out of the lack of communication is why making friends might be difficult in MN, because of the reserve in general. I can be standoffish myself(though not intentionally). One has to keep in mind that whatever problems that are in one state are probably in other states too, there just happens to be a trademark for it in a particular place(i.e. MN nice, Seattle Freeze, etc.). You couldn't have put it better. I think this is why Garrison Keillor said on MPR that Minnesota isn't a place that you should move to unless you're going to stay.
As for MN nice, I think it is a toned-down version of southern hospitality. Same politeness, just more reserved.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,033,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
As a 21 year-old currently living in GA, I see the same thing. I moved to a suburb outside of Atlanta and many of the kids lived in that one place their whole lives as did their parents. It shocked me because I have lived in so many places.
I *do* think that people who have moved a lot in their lives (especially when growing up) seem to be more gregarious. They probably have to be in order to meet new people in each new place. Those of us who've been more sendentary already have many established friendships, so getting new ones isn't always a high priority.

Quote:
I did see a standoffishness when I first moved in because I was the new kid(not to mention the only black kid in the class). The only differences I notice between GA and MN is that in GA, people tend to be(and this isn't always everybody) more outgoing in their mannerisms. One can have alot of acquaintances but few close friends.
That could be. It's a little hard for me to compare the two, since my living down here for three years is hard to compare directly to growing up and living in the Twin Cities for almost forty-two.

Quote:
As for MN nice, I think it is a toned-down version of southern hospitality. Same politeness, just more reserved.
After three years, I've found suburban Atlanta to be far more similar to the suburban Twin Cities than I had expected. There are obviously some large differences (Atlanta has a very different population mix in many of its suburbs, for example), but most things are not all that different.

I guess that's both positive and negative. Most of the things I miss are restaurants, but we gained a lot of good new ones!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,535,816 times
Although I have never lived in the Twin Cities I have spent extensive time there during holidays, summer breaks, spring breaks and so forth as my Mother's whole family lives in St. Paul (I grew up in Chicago). My grandpa has a nice house in the Como Park neighborhood that he offered to leave to me. I have lived most of my life in Chicago and currently reside in Houston. The reasons I turned his house down are the following:

1. The weather. If you don't like winter sports, you are pretty much stuck inside all winter.

2. The taxes. Although the services are great, Houston has medical facilities and hospital that are just as good. Also, groceries cost more in the Twin Cities and there is no sales tax on food. Houston has a 8.25 percent tax on groceries and the groceries are still cheaper.

3. False liberalism. The Twin Cities are perceived to be very liberal. Although it certainly isn't ultra-conservative it really isn't very open minded. That and it is not diverse. And it is just as segregated as Chicago.

4. Restaurants. They aren't that good. But one does get spoiled living in Chicago and Houston.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,196,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Although I have never lived in the Twin Cities I have spent extensive time there during holidays, summer breaks, spring breaks and so forth as my Mother's whole family lives in St. Paul (I grew up in Chicago). My grandpa has a nice house in the Como Park neighborhood that he offered to leave to me. I have lived most of my life in Chicago and currently reside in Houston. The reasons I turned his house down are the following:
Dude, whether you wanted the house or not, you should have taking it-if for anything just to sell it to me (at a drastically reduced rate, of course).

Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM

27 posts, read 109,733 times
Default Thinking of Leaving Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagira View Post
BS!!!

I have never run across people being unfriendly anywhere in MN except for maybe the I think I'm SOOOO COOOOL working at THE WEDGE, whatever. I've literally spent substantial time in every part of the state except SW MN.

Even being out here in the East....rudeness abounds I find pleasant people everywhere also. No problems getting directions, chatting up w/ someone at the playground, etc.

I would agree that people are generally polite. I have never had anyone be rude to me. I do not disagree with the statement that one can find polite people everywhere, and I have no trouble making small talk with people. However, when it comes to trying to form friendships, native Minnesotans just are not that interested.

All of my friends are transplants from Germany and their spouses. I am fortunate that I speak the language fairly fluently which is why I got connected with their group. My in-laws, who are NATIVES of Minnesota commiserate with me and do not disagree that Minnesotans are superficially nice (and that is enought for some). It is not BS. Someone else posted that most of his friends are transplants with Fortune 500 companies. I think it is true that people who feel like outsiders tend to bond with one another.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,535,816 times
Speaking as one who has half his family in St. Paul and is Norwegian/German I must say the not wanting to make friends is cultural. I grew up in Chicago and have two close friends. And I am far removed from my ancestry by generations. I am still that way. So is my daughter. And she is half Mexican, which makes her like that even more so.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 PM

370 posts, read 901,007 times
The friendliness thing has been beaten to death, but here's another aspect; employment. I realize of course that the market is awful, but beyond that there's a real sense that imports from other states are dismissed with lesser scrutiny. I've also listened to people out of state about how MN is perceived and there's a hint of arrogance to the MN reputation. What's kind of funny is that you can go upstate and listen to people up there talk about residents of the cities and I've heard the same condescending tone in the TC about people from other states. Funny how that works. Lots of satisfied people here, but I'll probably pass and I suppose I'm more seasoned from the experience.

I'll likely leave MN for a job, and won't be too upset. If nothing else my understanding of what a good hometown is has changed. Community engagement is a two way street.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM

124 posts, read 660,196 times
We are moving to AZ in a couple of weeks here......not that MN isn't great, but I have issues with 5-6 month long winters and cold, plus, we all have allergies to the tree pollen, grass, and mold often found here as well. Maybe i'll like it, maybe I won't, either way, sometimes you have to move if there is a job transfer.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,836,248 times
Lived there briefly! Hated it! The only positive is the size of the Msp metro! People sucks, culture sucks, food scene sucks, art scene sucks, weather sucks! Basically Msp sucks! You will like it if you like living in a city that all you like doing is complaining about where you live and going up nort on weekends! I left out the h of north on purpose! All they do there is complain and go up north on the weekends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul