Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,423 times

Advertisements

"I miss you Minnesota" is actually a song...and I do miss Minnesota, but when it came time to retire from the Military, I could not afford to move back home due to the COMBINED weight of Income and Sales Tax so I opted to stay in Colorado. Someday I hope to be a Snowbird! But the thought of my money paying for all the problems and infrastructure of the TWIN CITIES (twin pains) makes me SICK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
"I miss you Minnesota" is actually a song...and I do miss Minnesota, but when it came time to retire from the Military, I could not afford to move back home due to the COMBINED weight of Income and Sales Tax so I opted to stay in Colorado. Someday I hope to be a Snowbird! But the thought of my money paying for all the problems and infrastructure of the TWIN CITIES (twin pains) makes me SICK!
If you think Minneapolis and/or St. Paul are poorly run for some reason, may I invite you to study Atlanta? Come visit the Atlanta forum -- I've sure some of the locals will tell you all about it...

(I moved from the Twin Cities to Atlanta just over four years ago, and I no longer complain about ANYTHING in the Twin Cities...)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you think Minneapolis and/or St. Paul are poorly run for some reason, may I invite you to study Atlanta? Come visit the Atlanta forum -- I've sure some of the locals will tell you all about it...

(I moved from the Twin Cities to Atlanta just over four years ago, and I no longer complain about ANYTHING in the Twin Cities...)
everything is relative. For me it really comes down to this. It takes resources to build a great community, but how do you know when that concept goes too far and how do you measure the return on investments? Interesting site I came across that compares metrics associated with human development levels. Education, income, health etc. Worth checking out as it does seem to suggest areas that invest get returns on that.

Measure of America

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
In regards to the Measure of America. If anyone ever doubted Minnesota's need for its core cities and the necessity of them thriving and receiving support from state government, look at the Congressional District view. That, Bub, is why we pay our taxes.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM

116 posts, read 343,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS_9 View Post
Yes. As someone who lives in Minneapolis AND works in law enforcement, I can tell you with absolute certainty, crime is getting worse. It's spreading to pockets it's never been before, especially in SW Minneapolis. Crime in North Minneapolis is worse now then it's been in decades.

Back in the mid-90's we were dubbed Murder-apolis. Crime stats are approaching those numbers.
Do you even know what you're talking about? The crime stats may be getting a bit worse in parts, yes, but not by a huge percentage and it certainly is not visible. BUT, the violent crime rate as a whole is actually going DOWN! We live in SW. Completely safe here.

Here is a quote from an article that I will post:

"Violent crime in Minneapolis is down 13 percent citywide so far in 2008 when compared to 2007 and down 24 percent compared to 2006. Homicides are down 22 percent from last year and down 39 percent from 2006. Robberies decreased 18 percent, aggravated assaults are down 8 percent, and juvenile crime dropped 17 percent in 2008."

Link:

Second Ward, Minneapolis: Violent Crime Rates Down Again

BTW, my partner is a homocide detective for MPLS...(so NAH. lol)

Last edited by Minneapolitan; 01-21-2009 at 01:04 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 AM

25 posts, read 90,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That was an unfortunate choice of jobs, then. Murderapolis has upwards of 90 murders, this year we had less than 40. There have been multiple stories recently that have shown a decrease of crime in the city of Minneapolis, one of the few medium-sized cities where this is the case.
Here's a story from July.
MyFox Twin Cities | Minneapolis Crime Rates Fall for Second Straight Year (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7029784&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1 - broken link)
It may spread to areas where it never has been before, but that is matched by a decrease in crime around other areas. Phillips was ground-zero for Murderapolis, now it has two murders. It may be getting worse in Brooklyn Park or other areas, but that does not imply a growth in crime - simply a shift in it.
As whole, yes. But go to North Minneapolis and preach that. Crime there is holding steady, and as I said, SW Mpls is getting more Hmong gang activity. Nobody gives a **** if crime in Uptown and Downtown is going down. If Minneapolis wants to toot it's horn, then go stop crime where it truly exists. North Minneapolis....Robbinsdale...Brooklyn Park....

You can't go into low crime areas and stomp it out and pat yourself on the back and say "look at us! No..not over there...or up there...over here! Look. I'm standing outside Block E and I haven't got shot. Yay Minneapolis!"

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 AM

25 posts, read 90,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That was an unfortunate choice of jobs, then. Murderapolis has upwards of 90 murders, this year we had less than 40.
Gee...so sorry you disapprove of my career choice. I guess you would prefer rapists, murderers, and drug dealers on your streets. Good to know.

And TOTAL murders does nothing to indicate a cities safety. Minneapolis had 39 in 2008. For a city of 375,000 that's 10.4 per 100,000. That's kind of a lot. By comparison, Atlantic City, NJ had 17. Seems small and safe, right? There rate was 42.5 New York City...8 million plus. Lead the nation with 522 murders last year. Their rate is 6.2! A city with twice as many people as the entire state of Minnesota, has a lower violent crime rate than Minneapolis does.

Compared to cities it's size, Minneapolis is safer than most, yet, ironically, when compared to bigger cities like Boston, Atlanta, Toronto, Seattle, San francisco, and New York, it's crime rate is higher.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 AM

116 posts, read 343,500 times
Um, Brooklyn Park and Robbinsdale have nothing to do with Minneapolis, JMS_9. They are their own sovereign governments independant of MPLS. And yes, total city-proper stats matter. That isn't to say we can ignore what happens in the pockets of the city where crime is high. And a WHOLE lot of people care if downtown and uptown crime is down. They are 2 of the most visited areas of the city.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Overall numbers are down, and things "feel" pretty good. Numbers are usefull tools, but they don't often tell the entire story. My thinking is we had a bad stretch in the 90's and things have improved some. If we don't keep moving forward, things will be moving backward again and nobody wants that. When times get tight, it puts pressure on cities and my basic message is we really need to keep on top of stuff in Minneapolis or any other city you want to name.

I would disagree with the sentiment that because crimes are going down in numbers, and it feels safe, that this in fact makes an area "totally" safe. Problem areas do really stick out but we really cannot choose to mark a line around it and consider it a lost cause or an apparition. If you care to look, there are some creepy little undercurrents that might suggest crime stats not likely to stay the same.

My primary complaint with city of Minneapolis is this. They have vast resources relatively speaking, but year after year we hear stories about millions being spent on this or that mistake. Think what that money could do if used wisely. Not a condemnation by any means as there certianly is a lot to be proud of, and thankful for.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
I'm not from here but have very much enjoyed living here until recently. Started a family and want to move back to where extended family is for support... and a warm place to raise the kids. Sadly, we are giving up alot, career, salary, housing, etc but at a point where we're ready to step back from career and focus time on family and raising the kids.

This are has a lot to offer...very good quality of life. Weather is horrible, let's not kid anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul