U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,326,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Probably because a lot of landlords won't let people move out in the winter.
This isn't true, if your lease is up you can't be held hostage, why else would you move unless your evicted?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,359,993 times
On that winter move thing, it's apparently to save wear and tear on the floor surfaces from winter snow/salt/sand/grime, especially carpeting and wood flooring.

I had a fifteen month lease once (as opposed to the standard 1 year) because a unit became available for Jan 1 in a rental townhome, and management would let me move in (thus, start giving them money), but they wouldn't schedule a move out before March 31 the following year.

Given their standard operating policy, I'm not sure how the rental became available in January, but an unlawful detainer/eviction is the most likely reason I can think of.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 12-24-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,086,047 times
I'm wondering if any rental owners paid too much in the bubble years and now are having trouble keeping up with their payments and charging high rents to keep the property.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 AM

988 posts, read 1,722,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
This isn't true, if your lease is up you can't be held hostage, why else would you move unless your evicted?
It would depend on if you have a "no winter vacate" clause in your lease. I'm not an attorney, but I do recall when I was looking at apartments a while back there were a few that told me there would be a clause for no winter vacating - if the lease was set to end in the winter you agreed it automatically extended to spring. However, if there isn't such a clause then as long as you give the proper notice you could move when the lease is up without penalty.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 AM

7,711 posts, read 4,414,073 times
To answer your question directly, and this is only my opinion, but the neighborhoods you mention are no longer steals because...

* The bubble burst. There's a huge market of people earning decent money who are renting right now as they work out of bankruptcy over bad mortgages. They earn, can't buy again yet & but want nice places in the city.

* Uptowners over the past 20 years when they get married, have kids, start making student loan payments, car payments, CC bills, etc. realize a spacious family home in the Uptown/Lakes Area is unaffordable for most & have been sliding down East down Lake St towards the river for years now. Witness the rebirth of the Riverview Theater at 3800 42nd Ave S Riverview Theater , the Riverview Wine Bar at 3747 42nd Ave S The Riverview Wine Bar and Cafe - About the Riverview Wine Bar. The new Turtle Bread Co at 4205 E. 34th St (34th St & 42nd Ave S) Turtle Bread - Home & the new Blue Door planting their flag at 3448 42nd Avenue S Blue Door Pub plans expansion to Minneapolis - Minneapolis - Restaurants and Dining - The Hot Dish. Admission at both Dowling & Hiawatha Elementary Schools is full & the old, closed-down elementary schools like Howe are re-opening & expanding in Keewaydin's case due to increased enrollment. Kaywaadin also has a new Library & tons of great parks/sports p[rograms for kids. The Falls, the River, Minnehaha Pkwy E, Lake Nokomis, Lake Hiawtaha, South High & lot's of great things going on, those areas are no longer a steal. * The high price of rentals has pushed the Bohemian/Struggling Artist-Musician demographic down Lake St into Powderhorn. The Midtown Global Market/Greenway have turned undesirable rentals into the new Uptown (along with NE Mpls). The Hipster bike riders can now safely get from Powderhorn to Lynn-Lake in 10 minutes on the Greenway. Powderhorn has been re-discovered.

* Can you describe your needs a bit better? Do you have kids, are schools important? Is public transportation important? Does it have to be Powderhorn/Minnehaha/Hiawatha? Why not NE Mpls? What about Uptown? Would those areas work? Could you get by with 1.5 or even 1 bathrooms? The price comes down & options go up considerably if you look at 2bd, 1bas. If you have kids, I understand you must have 2 baths & schools, then maybe NE or St Paul would be good options?

Marketplace in North Branch is a good resource. A quick search shows me a 2bd, 2ba for $975-$995 at Franklin & Minnehaha 2 Beds - Minnehaha 94 | 1901 Minnehaha Ave Minneapolis MN | 2435953685 | Apartment Listings on Oodle Marketplace or

A 2bd, 1ba (could this work for you?) 2 blocks from Lake Harriett & 1 block from the awesome intersection at Linden Hills for $810 Two BR/One BA Apartment - Minneapolis | 4230 Upton Avenue S Minneapolis MN | 2927489783 | Apartment Listings on Oodle Marketplace

2bd, 1ba house, 38th & Portland, $849 a month 3853 Portland Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55407 - Divided House for Rent in Minneapolis, MN - HotPads

* What about St Paul? I moved to the Selby/Dale-Cathedral Hill area with my family 1.5 years ago. I didn't WANT to move to St Paul per sel, but it made sense financially & the more I researched, the more I realized the bang-for-buck ratio in St Paul was much higher in St Paul. If a born & bred Uptown Mpls snob can embrace it, anyone can. Here's a 2bd, 2ba in the trendy Selby/Dale-Cathedral Hill neighborhood of St Paul. Right by the vibrant intersection that houses W.A. Frost, Costello's, Nina's Coffee Shop et al. It's right on the 21A bus line to E Lake St & right off the entrance/exit to I-94, giving you even easier access to Mpls if you have a car? 2 Beds - Hill Plaza | 400 Selby Ave Saint Paul MN | 2819589654 | Apartment Listings on Oodle Marketplace Here's a 2bd, 1ba place just 2 blocks from Como Park, Golf Course, Amusment Park, Lake & Zoo. Two BR/One BA Single Family House - Saint Paul | 1093 Oxford St N 2 Saint Paul MN | 3264348000 | Home Listings on Oodle Marketplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowser307 View Post
Ive been online looking around CL and Renters warehouse. They don't have very much available. Why is south Mpls so much more than NE Mpls or other areas of town. I used to live there about 15 yrs ago, now want to come back. Rentals seem to be a straight $1.25/sqft across the board regardless of what they look like. Was looking for a 2bd/2ba for $1,000 or less in Longfellow, Powderhorn,Minnehaha Haiwatha, etc. Does anyone have info on leasing agents or site besides the ones I just mentioned. Will be visiting in march .

Thnxs in advance

Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,793,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
But if they don't allow winter move outs they won't have leases that end in the winter months.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 AM

24 posts, read 55,132 times
What a great post. I appreciate you taking the time to get this info.
As for my needs. I am single commercial electrician working on getting my license. The state I am in now doesn't have license and the paper you do get it worthless anywhere else. I have one more yr of apprenticeship then I can get my card. I have seen a few sites about alot of proposed construction starting up. Any truth to that ?
I'm not opposed to a 2bd/1ba or 1.5 just looking around. The link you posted about the unit on Portland I saw on another site but will be gone by the time I'm ready. I have found a few decent sites since my original post.
I lived in St paul near the river back in the day. In fact was there when they decided to blowup the Lake st bridge and not tell most people about it. That was a nice way to wake up. But I have always like South MPLS and the lakes. Would go down and ride or Rollerblade all the time. In fact I remember when you could actually park your car on a public street for free at Calhoun. (Imagine that.)
Thanxs for taking the time to post some info. I will be hanging around looking reading post in here. Thanxs for yuor help

Old 12-25-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
But if they don't allow winter move outs they won't have leases that end in the winter months.

Who cares about winter move outs. What does that have to do with what I was asking ?

Old 12-25-2012, 06:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,793,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowser307 View Post
Who cares about winter move outs. What does that have to do with what I was asking ?
Availability of rentals right now--if landlords don't have leases that end in the winter months, you won't find many places to rent right now and since that seems to be an issue it has everything to do with what you asked.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Will be visiting in march .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul