Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 21,563 times

Advertisements

My spouse is looking into a job op in golden valley area. Please tell me where is a nice place to settle close to that area. Our children are international in their education and experiences. We would love to bike or walk to places rather than spend all our time in cars. Good schools are very important to us but we are apprehensive to send them to a large school when they have only experienced individualized education in small class settings. We are not interested in city living (like in the downtown area because of our kids) but also cannot live in sterile suburban subdivision towns. Is there a community that is safe, walkable, a little artsy, maybe even trendy in the $450,000 range? Must be family friendly, mature trees, sidewalks, parks, cafes etc......

Are there any good charter or alternative schools in the area?

I have so many other questions but I think I will just start here. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Welcome. I think you would like Edina on the southwest side of the metro area. It's close enough for a commute to Golden Valley and has great schools. Nice shopping and walking in the town itself and not far from major shopping centers.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Edina is a good pick. i also hear good things about Minneapolis' SW neighborhoods; its everything you are looking for, i am however no expert about the schools in the area, i just know that South West High School is supposedly one of the best in the state.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Not so sure about Edina -- maybe. I wouldn't call it "artsy." It's trendy in a kind of ladies-who-lunch kind of way, if that's what you're looking for, and outside of a few locations (which are more expensive) is not very pedestrian-friendly, and mostly doesn't have sidewalks. If you do consider Edina, the locations right by 50th and France business district would be most likely to fit your needs. St. Louis Park might be a better fit, and closer to Golden Valley (although there's not a huge difference, time-wise).

I'd look at Uptown in Minneapolis. I believe most of Uptown is zoned for the Southwest High School zone (which is an excellent school, and while not tiny, is also not huge -- they also offer the IB program, which may be of interest). It's walkable, trendy, mature trees, artsy, tons of cafes, family-friendly, quick to Golden Valley. There are some single family houses there at that price point. Official neighborhood names to look at include ECCO, CARAG, Lowry Hill East (aka "the Wedge"), and East Isles. The Wedge is the least family-friendly of the area, but is also arguably the most artsy and has the best walkable access to everything. I think CARAG is the most family-friendly, but I am biased. East Isles and ECCO are right by the lakes (in this case Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun) and are therefore the most expensive, but even there you can find houses in your budget. Uptown is in the city, but it's not "city living" in the downtown sense. Think single family homes mixed in with duplexes and some apartment buildings, with the exact mix depending on block.

For a slightly different feel, check out Linden Hills. I consider it to be the ultimate family-friendly neighborhood in the Twin Cities. Very safe, walkable, VERY kid-friendly, nice "downtown" business district, some of the best schools around, K-12 (including Southwest for high school), beautiful old houses, right on the banks of Lake Harriet. It's very close to Edina, but has a different feeling to it (and far better for walking). It would be an easy commute to Golden Valley.

I am not familiar with the school situation, but neighborhoods like Bryn Mawr or Victory in Minneapolis would put you even closer to Golden Valley and are very walkable with some nice local businesses. FYI, when looking at the schools within Minneapolis you really have to look at the individual schools, as the district as a whole is large and contains both really, really good schools -- some of the best around -- as well as schools where I'd never willingly send my child. It is worth taking a look at living within city limits, though, as many of the suburban neighborhoods near Golden Valley don't have the sidewalks that you want. Golden Valley itself has some really nice areas that have the trees, the families, etc., for example, and it's certainly not sterile suburbia, but it also doesn't have that much in terms of businesses or a pedestrian orientation.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM

I would steer clear of the city of Minneapolis. Edina is a great community as is Plymouth.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
There are lots of former European residents in the Linden Hills area. The schools are very good. I live just south of there (Fulton neighborhood) and my kids go to school in Golden Valley--easy commute. Golden Valley itself has some neat areas. It all depends on what you are expecting in a house and neighborhood. What grades will your children be in? There are quite a few school options but it would be helpful to know what level.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I would steer clear of the city of Minneapolis. Edina is a great community as is Plymouth.
Except Minneapolis fits the criteria perfectly.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM

I know, just a preference I would like to extend. There is so much more to the area than city living. Edina is like living in the city and it's only a quick trip to Linden Hills area and even uptown. And it's close to the St. Louis Park area, and to the Lakes in the city. Much nicer in my opinion. Much much nicer.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
But not what the OP is looking for in a location. Especially not Plymouth! A few neighborhoods in Edina perhaps could arguably work, but the Minneapolis neighborhoods better fit all the criteria.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 PM

And I disagree again. Edina is a perfect fit and I would ask the OP to consider it seriously. I think the city of Minneapolis is not someplace to move to initially when you are not familiar with it. There are just far better options. I know because I have lived there for a long time.

BTW uptown_urbanist you seem to have this problem every time I don't endorse the city proper. I never will so please make your comments to the OP not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul